Post-Game Talk: SJ 7, Canucks not quite as many as 7. Part 2.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I'm fine with Mikey D... he had a bad game... we were coming off a long road trip and played A stanley Cup contender.

Just a bunch of over reactions. A warm body isnt going to be that much better than Dipietro. The kid is mentally strong he can handle it. Id rather save the open contracts for Ncaa Free Agents and or to eat up a contract and gain assets at TDL

However if Markstrom is hurt, then we need a goalie with Dipietro.

If Markstrom is fine then I'm fine with Dipietro getting the start here and there.

Demko is supposed to be back in a week or 2 according to Green.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
According to Green Baertschi was just fine and it wasn't concussion related.... Dr. Green is a worse doctor than Dr. Recchi.

Reactions: Hit the post

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Cant wait till we give up a late pick for a goalie and the same ppl going to complain.

Unless youre fine with us signing an AHL goalie in an AHL contract
Oh hello new poster who joined Wednesday to defend benning

Yes all of us were fine with benning getting an ahl depth goalie for the past 5 weeks since McKenna got claimed.

None of us give a damn about the score it’s the point of playing an 19 year old goalie in the nhl against the top team in the west because benning is so bad at his job that he hasn’t been proactive to fix a blunder that he made.

Is the Nilsson trade bad if we had an contingency plan for a 3rd string goalie if McKenna got claimed on waivers? No I’m indifferent to acquiring a 6th pick for a backup goalie.

Is the Nilsson trade bad if we don’t have an contingency plan for a 3rd string goalie if McKenna got claimed on waivers? Yea it’s an epically stupid move- leave demko in the minors where he was playing more than he was up here Incase of injury or take the five damn weeks you had since McKenna was claimed to get a 3rd string goalie.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I'm fine with Mikey D... he had a bad game... we were coming off a long road trip and played A stanley Cup contender.

Just a bunch of over reactions. A warm body isnt going to be that much better than Dipietro. The kid is mentally strong he can handle it. Id rather save the open contracts for Ncaa Free Agents and or to eat up a contract and gain assets at TDL

If Markstrom is fine then I'm fine with Dipietro getting the start here and there.

I disagree.

Starting a 19 year old OHL goalie against one of the best and highest scoring teams with no option on the bench and having the other team take pity on you is embarrassing and bush league.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I disagree.

Starting a 19 year old OHL goalie against one of the best and highest scoring teams with no option on the bench and having the other team take pity on you is embarrassing and bush league.
I might feel different had our blueline not be constructed as poorly as Elmer has done. Hey look what all that “learning from losing” did for the Oilers. Look at Dubnyk (sp?) as an example. It took him being traded off that team to undo all that damage a blueline full of Guds did to him. And I still think his full potential was compromised.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

He didn't even have that bad of a game to be honest. He had a game you'd expect out a guy that is likely 2-3 years away from getting time in the NHL. Simply outclassed in a situation he had no business being in and should not have been put in.

When the opposition is giving interviews after the game feeling sorry for the kid you have f***ed up your job of managing the team.

A warm body likely doesn't fair much better, however, that is once again not the point. People have to stop excusing things "it's not a big error" or "the result would have been the same" etc. and simply see it for what it is: complete incompetence that you certainly don't want trying to build around the few kids they have. That's what it is on the line folks. A GM that has shown no ability to build a supporting cast (this year screams that loud and clear), no ability to find D-men, no ability to even complete the most trivial of tasks (5 weeks to find a 4th stringer) is the guy going into what might prove to be the MOST important off season this team has seen in years.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Isn't this situation basically exactly what happened to Richard Bachman?

He came in against the Wild earlier in the season while we had various injuries and got completely hung out to dry and lit up 5-1?

...It sucks to have this happen to a young prospect, but I find myself doubting the results would be different with a rent a goalie. Even with healthy Marky in still seems very likely we lose this game.

Arguing that we should have a rent-a-goalie instead of a kid still in the CHL has merit... but on the flipside this is what DiPietro will have to struggle through anyways if he ever makes it to the NHL. If he goes 5-10 NHL games losing 7-2 or similar, then we have a problem.

But this was just a joke of a night with an unfunny punchline. :thumbd:

Weird how two small moves being lightly applauded earlier just look so bad right now. I don't know that I would want MDZ or Nilsson back really, but we lost our depth for basically nothing.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I disagree.

This wasnt an inteded start. Markstrom was unable to go. They thought it was general soreness/tightness after CGY game.

Dipietro wasnt even announced as started until 5ish Pacific Time yesterday on game day.

Stop over reacting . its one game.

Dipietro is mentally tough. he can handle it.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Isn't this situation basically exactly what happened to Richard Bachman?

He came in against the Wild earlier in the season while we had various injuries and got completely hung out to dry and lit up 5-1?

No. Why? Because Richard Bachman is a 31 year old professional that has been a NHL backup to 4th string goaltender for damn near a decade. They may have hung him out to dry but the situation wasn't nearly the same.

...It sucks to have this happen to a young prospect, but I find myself doubting the results would be different with a rent a goalie. Even with healthy Marky in still seems very likely we lose this game.

Again...not about the two points or if they would have done better. It's about this being yet another situation that clearly demonstrates the incompetence of management. 5 weeks to get another goaltneder under an NHL contract. He's had a week since Demko was hurt to really make sure he did it. Instead nothing and it's laughable people are pretending it's hard to find what amounts to a warm body that has at least some NHL ability.

Arguing that we should have a rent-a-goalie instead of a kid still in the CHL has merit... but on the flipside this is what DiPietro will have to struggle through anyways if he ever makes it to the NHL. If he goes 5-10 NHL games losing 7-2 or similar, then we have a problem.

But this was just a joke of a night with an unfunny punchline. :thumbd:

There is a difference to struggling through bad games or a slump at a level you are qualified to play in and being thrown to the wolves at a level you aren't remotely qualified for. I'm not saying this hurts his long term development but he also doesn't really learn anything. The most he learned is that he needs to improve every single area of his game by massive leaps and bounds to be ready for the NHL. He already knew that.

In my 35+ years of watching NHL hockey I can not recall a time where I saw:
(a) a team clearly let up on an opposition goaltender (except for all star games) and
(b) opposition players actually express feeling sorry he was in that situation after the game.

But as someone said last night...you can put the bar on the floor and Benning will still manage to get under that bar and disappoint. And even worse still have people actually defend it when even the canucks media shills were at a loss for words.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Not worried about Dipietro, reminded me a lot of Marc-Andre Fluery's rookie season, many a night did we see highlights akin to what went on last night.

Other than a bad stat line in the NHL for this season, I'd say it's more likely to motivate him than ruin him

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not worried about Dipietro, reminded me a lot of Marc-Andre Fluery's rookie season, many a night did we see highlights akin to what went on last night.

Other than a bad stat line in the NHL for this season, I'd say it's more likely to motivate him than ruin him
MAF had two EP’s play for him up front though so he could afford to make even more mistakes.:naughty:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
1. Demko needed to come up to the NHL. He had done his time, and deserved to be rewarded with an NHL salary.

2. There is a shortage of depth goalies right now. I suspect JB has been told that he cant give away draft picks this year without Aqua permission.

3. I am not a JB fan, but all of you screamers please say who you would have picked up for what asset? It's fine to bitch that he has failed to get a back up goalie. You are obviously a great couch GM, please give specifics other than whine about it.

Personally, I am figuring tanking is not that bad an idea. We would get slaughtered in the playoffs were we to make them, and hope we get a decent pick this year.

Next year between hughes juolevi and maybe tryamkin, out D should head towards NHL caliber.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
1. Demko needed to come up to the NHL. He had done his time, and deserved to be rewarded with an NHL salary.

2. There is a shortage of depth goalies right now. I suspect JB has been told that he cant give away draft picks this year without Aqua permission.

3. I am not a JB fan, but all of you screamers please say who you would have picked up for what asset? It's fine to ***** that he has failed to get a back up goalie. You are obviously a great couch GM, please give specifics other than whine about it.

Personally, I am figuring tanking is not that bad an idea. We would get slaughtered in the playoffs were we to make them, and hope we get a decent pick this year.

Next year between hughes juolevi and maybe tryamkin, out D should head towards NHL caliber.

Almost like we couldn’t trade a 7th in 2020 to get an ahl goalie;

What made it nessecary for demko to come up to the nhl this season and not in the off season?

Reactions: Zippgunn

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

3. I am not a JB fan, but all of you screamers please say who you would have picked up for what asset? It's fine to ***** that he has failed to get a back up goalie. You are obviously a great couch GM, please give specifics other than whine about it.

Regarding points 2 and 3.

Blues acquire goalie Coreau from Ducks

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's not setting the world on fire down in Utica at the moment. He has shown that his game needs some work before he's ready for prime time. Really he should have spent the entire season in the AHL. Gaunce is the guy to call up right now imo but I doubt he gets the call.

Gaudette has been called up

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I can't believe iMac still thinks playing Tanev on his off side is the best deployment for the d corps
ground breaking stupidity

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
1. Yep hop off to Wallmart and go to the goalie aisle. They are probably looking, but surprisingly their is a shortage of backup goalies right now.
2. The backup is Markstrom. I suspect he is not 100%, and they may have been hesitant to put him in.
3. Take the 18th place team, remove their best 4 players, and they drop like a stone? Gee, what a surprise.
4. Believe it or not, firing JB does not guarantee that the replacement will be better .... Let me guess, go to Wallmart, go to the GM aisle and buy the most expensive GM you can find.

Obviously oblivious.
This post aged well. They got a goalie. Today. For a 7th rounder.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
He's not a liar, he's just not weak. Not everyone blames other people or gets down on themselves. And if you think toughening up in front of the media is a given, take a look at Hitchcock these days.

Toughening up in front of a media is a given, says every PR team in this world. If Hitchcock isn't doing it, he has his reasons.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
No. Why? Because Richard Bachman is a 31 year old professional that has been a NHL backup to 4th string goaltender for damn near a decade. They may have hung him out to dry but the situation wasn't nearly the same.
Bachman didn't get hung out to dry, he lost us that game, full stop. Nobody liked seeing DiPietro get dunked, but you don't have to let your emotions try to revise history to make that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad