Sizing Up the Division : Where Will the Red Wings Finish?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
So, you are also ready to bet against me?

I'm not saying they are gonna be better than us, but with my analyze, they will be better than last year and at the playoffs.

Im not saying that you said they will' be better then us, But they sure arent gonna do better then last year.

ill bet anything but money :D

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should I tell it before we make a bet? ;)

I can tell after.

What do you want to bet? I know since I've been here I've never seen you have an avatar, so I assume that's off the table.

I'll take a line of 96.5 points, I take the under, you take the over.

If I win, you have to fly the American flag all next off season.

If you win, I fly the Finnish flag all next off season.

That work for you?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The Bruins barely scored any goals last year, this year they're a year older, have a worse blueline and will have injury concerns. If they manage 95 points I will be incredibly impressed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What do you want to bet? I know since I've been here I've never seen you have an avatar, so I assume that's off the table.

I'll take a line of 96.5 points, I take the under, you take the over.

If I win, you have to fly the American flag all next off season.

If you win, I fly the Finnish flag all next off season.

That work for you?

Ok. That's fine for me. :laugh:

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Anywhere between 1 and 3 in the division. Montreal being the most hard to predict in all this.

I'd favour Tampa to come out ahead with Detroit and Montreal battling for spots 2 and 3. Price just had a heck of a year and it would seem like a pretty large hill to conquer two years in a row. Galchenyuk might just break out and Semin might just pop in 30 goals.

For us thing stayed the same with the addition of Green. We'll be missing Datsyuk for a while but that was the same story last year. Who knows how Z does this year but we did add Richards who should be a slight upgrade. Then we have the kids who should all be a bit better than last year. My main concern really is Blashill. Everything else I'm fine with.

The rest of the teams in the division have gotten worse or not better enough.

Boston and Toronto have gotten worse and I don't see either one challenging for the top 3 spots. Perhaps not even for playoffs. Buffalo got better but not enough and Florida is pretty much exactly where it was last year. Ottawa might be challenging but I think they're still a year or two away from really being a challenger. Most likely a wildcard team but, if I was to bet, I'd bet that Columbus, Pittsburgh, Washington, Rangers and Islanders make the playoffs along with the three mentioned above.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
With 3 on 3 minimizing the possibility of a big swing of shootout wins inflating their point total higher than their talent level, I don't see any way Boston tops 90 pts this season. They're a mess.

I have it Tampa, Montreal, and then Ottawa fighting it out with the Wings for third. I don't think the division has four playoff teams this year, so the Wings had better hope they get third. I think they will, but it will be uncomfortable down the stretch.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I can't unless Z returns to form, Datsyuk isn't out for an extended period and doesn't have lingering issues and Ottawa/Montreal/Boston don't go on a hot streak early. Detroit's current roster is pretty suspect down the middle and on the back end and could have a some grown pains for younger and newer additions.

Z wasn't in form last year and Datsyuk still missed 20 games.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Call me optimistic, but I feel this coaching change, the addition of Green to be huge, along with the continued development of the kids, I expect us to be competing for the President Trophy. This is the year we reenter the elite teams in the league.

On the otherhand, if we don't become elite this year, it's probably at least 3 years away.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Z wasn't in form last year and Datsyuk still missed 20 games.

And where did Detroit end up? Oh wait, they were third like I said, close to ending 4th. So as I said, if Dats misses significant time and Z isn't Z Detroit doesn't finish above 3rd.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
And where did Detroit end up? Oh wait, they were third like I said, close to ending 4th. So as I said, if Dats misses significant time and Z isn't Z Detroit doesn't finish above 3rd.

You said you couldn't see Detroit fighting for second even if Price isn't superhuman again this year, meaning Montreal would regress a bit, putting them at a similar position as Detroit last season, which means we'd be fighting for second... You're also forgetting that we traded out Weiss for Richards and finally added an offensive RHD. If Datsyuk and Z repeat what they did last season then I don't see a scenario in which Detroit doesn't improve. Obviously, this hinges on D and Z not getting significantly worse.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Bruins barely scored any goals last year, this year they're a year older, have a worse blueline and will have injury concerns. If they manage 95 points I will be incredibly impressed.

They also should have a healthy Krejci, who might be the most underrated player in the league, it is between him and Backstrom (Washington) in my opinion.

I think the Wings finish second, I do think the Bruins will bounce back and they and the Habs will have a decent battle for third.

Semin is a real wild card in our division, nice piece of business by the Habs there, they got a lot scarier when that went through in my opinion.

The Wings can challenge for the top spot, a lot will come down to the goalie combination, which in an ideal world will push for the Jennings Trophy if both guys show up ready to play in that competition. The Defense should be a little better at moving the puck and in my opinion Blashill will eventually shuffle Ericsson down and we will be better for it. But the goalie debate that I don't see as a problem for this year is actually why I think the Wings can be one of the better teams in the league. They will trot out a #1 goalie every night this season hopefully.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They also should have a healthy Krejci, who might be the most underrated player in the league, it is between him and Backstrom (Washington) in my opinion.

I still love the Bruins centers and think they'll continue to be a hard team to play against. Like the Wings, people are going to overlook them because they "aren't what they used to be" and find themselves in a dogfight.

Aug 6, 2012
I think we finish second behind Tampa, slightly ahead of Ottawa. Tampa is on another level, but I think the addition of Green along with the impact of some young players (hopefully) makes us a better team this year compared to years past.

Honestly I still don't know how Montreal had such a good record last year. It's hard to bet against Carey Price but that roster is just really not that great outside of three players.

Boston doesn't scare me at all to be honest. They have a great center duo and Rask, but the rest of their roster is bleh. Hate to bring it up but imagine if they still had Seguin and Hamilton, then they'd be scary.

I think Ottawa finishes third. I like Turris, Stone and Karlsson a lot and they have good quality players in their lineup.

Florida is an easy pick for the surprise team this year, but I think they are still a few years/pieces away.

In Toronto I'm just wondering when the Babcock honeymoon will be over andnwe start to hear the familiar complaints.

This division isn't anything special outside of Tampa from the looks of it. I guess you could say that about the East in general. A big deadline addition on the backend and I wouldn't be afraid to call the Wings legitimate contenders (based on how they play under Blashill of course.)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You said you couldn't see Detroit fighting for second even if Price isn't superhuman again this year, meaning Montreal would regress a bit, putting them at a similar position as Detroit last season, which means we'd be fighting for second... You're also forgetting that we traded out Weiss for Richards and finally added an offensive RHD. If Datsyuk and Z repeat what they did last season then I don't see a scenario in which Detroit doesn't improve. Obviously, this hinges on D and Z not getting significantly worse.

Why not? If Coaches add wins by virtue of their ability to plan and execute game plans then Detroit will lose wins without Babcock. If Nyquist and Tatar are plateaued (which is possible) and do not take up any more of the slack from Z and D, then Detroit doesn't improve. There are a lot of what ifs that can go both ways on this. I think 2-4th is the most likely range with 3rd place being the safest bet as to their landing spot.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Why not? If Coaches add wins by virtue of their ability to plan and execute game plans then Detroit will lose wins without Babcock. If Nyquist and Tatar are plateaued (which is possible) and do not take up any more of the slack from Z and D, then Detroit doesn't improve. There are a lot of what ifs that can go both ways on this. I think 2-4th is the most likely range with 3rd place being the safest bet as to their landing spot.

Even if Nyquist and Tatar have plateaued, I don't think all of Sheahan, DeKeyser, Ouellet, Marchenko, Smith, Pulkinnen, Mrazek, Jurco, and Glendenning have hit their peak. Add in Green and Richards and I highly doubt they regress without significant declines/injuries to D and Z. Other wildcard possible impacts are Franzen and Larkin.

I agree that coaching is a big variable. We'll have to see how that plays out but even if Babcock is the better coach I don't think the coaching change necessarily hurts. Sometimes a coach'a message runs thin and the young players could respond very well to playing under Blashill again. Remains to be seen.

Obviously significant injuries throughout the lineup will derail a season, but that is true of every team.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Even if Nyquist and Tatar have plateaued, I don't think all of Sheahan, DeKeyser, Ouellet, Marchenko, Smith, Pulkinnen, Mrazek, Jurco, and Glendenning have hit their peak. Add in Green and Richards and I highly doubt they regress without significant declines/injuries to D and Z. Other wildcard possible impacts are Franzen and Larkin.

I agree that coaching is a big variable. We'll have to see how that plays out but even if Babcock is the better coach I don't think the coaching change necessarily hurts. Sometimes a coach'a message runs thin and the young players could respond very well to playing under Blashill again. Remains to be seen.

Obviously significant injuries throughout the lineup will derail a season, but that is true of every team.
At this stage of their careers, and with recent track records, I'd expect significant games missed due to injury to be the norm for Datsyuk and Zetterberg. It's already a given that Pavel is out to start the season, and between Richards and Zetterberg, that's yet another year of a lot of miles on the tires for whoever is at 1C in the interim.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think the Wings finish second, I do think the Bruins will bounce back and they and the Habs will have a decent battle for third.

Semin is a real wild card in our division, nice piece of business by the Habs there, they got a lot scarier when that went through in my opinion.

The Wings can challenge for the top spot, a lot will come down to the goalie combination, which in an ideal world will push for the Jennings Trophy if both guys show up ready to play in that competition. The Defense should be a little better at moving the puck and in my opinion Blashill will eventually shuffle Ericsson down and we will be better for it. But the goalie debate that I don't see as a problem for this year is actually why I think the Wings can be one of the better teams in the league. They will trot out a #1 goalie every night this season hopefully.

Nick Backstrom is criminally underrated.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
aw dont be like that. Montreal isnt even that good. and Price wasn't that good in the playoffs last year.

Montreal only beat 1 team in the last 3 years that was any good. Boston. and that's probably because they were just fueled by the rivalry. Got smoked by Ottawa, and then Tampa.. and then when they did beat Tampa the one year, it was because they were inexperienced and injured.

I would much rather play Tampa Bay again than play Montreal first round. Red Wings actually showed they can compete with Tampa Bay, and probably outplayed them for majority of that series. Plus, Mrazek seems to have their number and has the ability shut down their all-stars

It just seems like Detroit has struggled against Montreal since joining the East. I don't want to go against the best goalie in the NHL at the moment either. (Who would?)

Detroit seems to not be able to move the puck against Montreal. Every game seemed like they would just try to play dump and chase and the Canadiens D would shut down our forwards and never let them get their puck-possession system going. Idk, could just be me, but I think it's frustrating watching Detroit play Montreal

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I would much rather play Tampa Bay again than play Montreal first round. Red Wings actually showed they can compete with Tampa Bay, and probably outplayed them for majority of that series. Plus, Mrazek seems to have their number and has the ability shut down their all-stars

It just seems like Detroit has struggled against Montreal since joining the East. I don't want to go against the best goalie in the NHL at the moment either. (Who would?)

Detroit seems to not be able to move the puck against Montreal. Every game seemed like they would just try to play dump and chase and the Canadiens D would shut down our forwards and never let them get their puck-possession system going. Idk, could just be me, but I think it's frustrating watching Detroit play Montreal

I think it was more a coaching issue to be honest. Babs and Therrien love there squads to play that style to a T. And babs for quite awhile wouldn't switch things up when most of the viewing audience could see it wasn't working. Similiar when we would match up with Boston as well Julien and Babs where in there coaching heaven for how they want the game to be played and Babs wouldn't switch it up even though the team was showing it couldn't hang with the strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad