Sizing Up the Division : Where Will the Red Wings Finish?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Like the title says, where do you think the Red Wings will finish in the standings this season?

I think Tampa is clearly the favorite to win the division this year. That foward core is stacked, Hedman is a stud D and Bishop should be able to get them through tough games. Is that defence going to hold though?

Detroit should be in the same mix as Florida, Ottawa and Montreal.
Florida has youth finally clicking, as does Ottawa. Montreal will have some issues going and last season, everything went right for them. I expect them to fall this year.

Boston (the defence looks weak to me and a lot of new faces), Toronto and Buffalo (clearly both rebuilding) are clearly a step down to me.

I think it finishes :

Tampa
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Florida
Boston
Buffalo
Toronto

With Tampa, Detroit and Montreal making it out the division, Ottawa possibly with the wildcard spot.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Like the title says, where do you think the Red Wings will finish in the standings this season?

I think Tampa is clearly the favorite to win the division this year. That foward core is stacked, Hedman is a stud D and Bishop should be able to get them through tough games. Is that defence going to hold though?

Detroit should be in the same mix as Florida, Ottawa and Montreal.
Florida has youth finally clicking, as does Ottawa. Montreal will have some issues going and last season, everything went right for them. I expect them to fall this year.

Boston (the defence looks weak to me and a lot of new faces), Toronto and Buffalo (clearly both rebuilding) are clearly a step down to me.

I think it finishes :

Tampa
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Florida
Boston
Buffalo
Toronto

With Tampa, Detroit and Montreal making it out the division, Ottawa possibly with the wildcard spot.
This is pretty much my thinking as well, Well done.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kind of scares me that we could we come out of the gates slow, with the Datsyuk injury, and some less than ideal depth down the middle. Hopefully he comes back and we get it in gear.

Think Montreal regresses a little, as I don't expect Price to go "God mode" for all of this upcoming season like last year, though I'm sure he will still be really good.

Will optimistically guess we finish 2nd, with TB, Detroit, Montreal being the top 3 in that order. But honestly, I could see us finishing all over the place.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Agree with this.

I do think Detroit and Montreal's places could be flip flopped however, MTL always seems to surpass expectations

yeah sure, I agree. I think a lot depends on Kronwall and Z's rate of decline and Datsyuk's health. While we have a hell of a supporting cast, the big guns still have to be the big guns.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Unless Price repeats last season then I think Montreal is a wildcard team or 3rd in the division at best.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Montreal got a lot of points from OT & shootouts at last season. Now that 3-on-3 changes things and could hurt their chances to collect extra points.

And if we have injury concerns, who says Pacioretty is his old self at next season? He didn't look good at the playoffs.

Tampa looks really strong and without injuries will win the division.

I could believe Detroit takes the 2nd spot after them.

Florida and Ottawa are nice and shiny young teams, but didn't get bolstered by anybody from the free agency. They will be better but not enough.

Boston will be at the playoffs again. Too much greatness there to fail again, when injured guys like Krejci are healthy and available for full season.

1.TBL
2.DET
3.MTL
4.BOS

Then maybe a wild card, or not.

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Montreal rode the coattails of carey price last season. i don't see that happening again

outside of tampa, this division is mediocre. i don't see buffalo, toronto or boston making the playoffs.

tampa
detroit
montreal
ottawa
florida

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
To be more informative:

Group A
1. TBL, ~110p
--------
Group B
2.DET, ~100p
3.MTL, ~100p
4.BOS, ~100p
---------
Group C
5.OTT, ~95p
6.FLO, ~95p
--------
Group D
None
--------
Group E
7.TOR, ~75p
8.BUF, ~75p

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
More than likely fighting with Montreal for 2nd/3rd like many others have said. I have no idea what Boston will do however. They have made a ton of changes so no real idea where they will end. Ottawa I see regressing a bit. Hammond saved them last year but if I had to guess they finish below florida this year. Toronto and Buffalo will be at the bottom.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I agree with the OP with DET finishing 2nd..maybe 3rd. Wonder how low opposing teams have us ranked this year lol

I feel that a lot of neutral fans are 50/50 on Detroit this year. That's fair imo.

It's way too early to truly say how this team is going to be until the season starts. Plenty can happen this year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Tampa

Detroit/Boston/Montreal

Florida

Toronto/Buffalo.

Detroit will probably be third, especially if Montreal or Boston start hot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I feel that a lot of neutral fans are 50/50 on Detroit this year. That's fair imo.

It's way too early to truly say how this team is going to be until the season starts. Plenty can happen this year.

There was a thread on the main board that had a lot of neutral fans calling Detroit one of the underrated teams going into the season. A few pointed out how well they played against the Bolts in the playoffs.

Basically, there's little to no buzz about the Wings. Which is fine. I'd prefer to start the season with no expectations on the roster and have them grow into an identity. The team added Richards and Green, lost Babcock, and is potentially folding in a new starting goalie. There are questions around this team, but there's little doubt they should be looking to make the playoffs.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There was a thread on the main board that had a lot of neutral fans calling Detroit one of the underrated teams going into the season. A few pointed out how well they played against the Bolts in the playoffs.

Basically, there's little to no buzz about the Wings. Which is fine. I'd prefer to start the season with no expectations on the roster and have them grow into an identity. The team added Richards and Green, lost Babcock, and is potentially folding in a new starting goalie. There are questions around this team, but there's little doubt they should be looking to make the playoffs.

I am 50/50, especially if Datsyuk has any setbacks or if the Bruins or Habs start really strong.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To be more informative:

Group A
1. TBL, ~110p
--------
Group B
2.DET, ~100p
3.MTL, ~100p
4.BOS, ~100p
---------
Group C
5.OTT, ~95p
6.FLO, ~95p
--------
Group D
None
--------

Tampa

Detroit/Boston/Montreal

Florida

Toronto/Buffalo.

Detroit will probably be third, especially if Montreal or Boston start hot.

Uh, did you guys forget Boston lost Lucic and Dougie?

Bruins are trending down big time. I am not worried about them at all. I think they are behind Ottawa.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
People putting Tampa #1? Johnson isn't going to sneak up on anyone next season. I still think it'll be the Rangers finishing first in the conference.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wanna bet against?

Didn't say Ottawa was a team I was willing to bet the farm on or anything, but I just think the Bruins are gonna be bad by their standards.

What did you have in mind?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Didn't say Ottawa was a team I was willing to bet the farm on or anything, but I just think the Bruins are gonna be bad by their standards.

What did you have in mind?

Forget the Sens, just for Boston... maybe some regular season total points line, and I bet over, you bet under? :)

EDIT:

If you say, they are trending down, and at last season Bruins got 96 points, let's say the line would be 95.5 points?

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Forget the Sens, just for Boston... maybe some regular season total points line, and I bet over, you bet under? :)

EDIT:

If you say, they are trending down, and at last season Bruins got 96 points, let's say the line would be 95.5 points?

Yeah, but I thought you said 100 pts in your original post there? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad