Sizing Up the Division : Where Will the Red Wings Finish?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
People putting Tampa #1? Johnson isn't going to sneak up on anyone next season. I still think it'll be the Rangers finishing first in the conference.

I'm putting up Tampa as #1 in our division. NYR might have more points in the Eastern Conference, though. Personally, I see Washington at the top of the Conference - steady goaltending, solid defensive core and Kuznetsov, Backstrom (if healthy), Ovechkin, Oshie, Burakovsky plus wildcards Williams and Vrana should be a potent offence.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I think Tampa Bay and Montreal fight for first and second and then Detroit, Ottawa, Boston, Florida fight for third

Tampa Bay
Montreal
Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Florida
Toronto
Buffalo

That's what I'm hoping the division looks like, another automatic playoff spot. Bad news is we play Carey Price and lose in the first round once again. But hey, it's ok!!! We made the playoffs again!!!

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Forever an optimist, I see! :laugh:

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic. But, Detroit has shown nothing in the last few seasons to show they can get past an elite team. Even Chicago in 2013 they choked away a 3-1 series lead.

Detroit has struggled against Montreal since joining the east too. They always rely on 2-1 type game and hope their goaltending isn't complete crap that night.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I don't mean to sound so pessimistic. But, Detroit has shown nothing in the last few seasons to show they can get past an elite team. Even Chicago in 2013 they choked away a 3-1 series lead.

Detroit has struggled against Montreal since joining the east too. They always rely on 2-1 type game and hope their goaltending isn't complete crap that night.

The difference in the Tampa series was literally a lucky bounce in the 3rd period of game 7. The difference in the Chicago series was a lucky bounce in game 7 OT. How is that showing nothing? I agree they haven't shown enough, but "nothing" is simply wrong when the difference ends up being some fluke bounce. It's not that black and white.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I'll agree that Detroit has struggled against Montreal - my wife is Habs fan and I hate watching the games because I know how it'll finish before it starts, unfortunatly. But for the But, Detroit has shown nothing in the last few seasons to show they can get past an elite team. they lost Game 7 against Tampa (who went to the Stanley Cup Finals) 2-0 without their top D and it was essentially a one-goal game, Stralman got the empty-netter. Detroit can play with the big dogs, I have no doubt. They upgrade the defense, the kids (Tatar, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Sheahan and Mrazek) are a year older and should be better acclimated to the NHL by now.

But hey, maybe I'm just an optimist, too.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I'll agree that Detroit has struggled against Montreal - my wife is Habs fan and I hate watching the games because I know how it'll finish before it starts, unfortunatly. But for the But, Detroit has shown nothing in the last few seasons to show they can get past an elite team. they lost Game 7 against Tampa (who went to the Stanley Cup Finals) 2-0 without their top D and it was essentially a one-goal game, Stralman got the empty-netter. Detroit can play with the big dogs, I have no doubt. They upgrade the defense, the kids (Tatar, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Sheahan and Mrazek) are a year older and should be better acclimated to the NHL by now.

But hey, maybe I'm just an optimist, too.

Fair points. I'm the kind of person that needs to see it first before I'll ever believe it. (I guess I am a pessimist). If Detroit can get to the ECF this season I'll start to believe they will compete and start contending against superior teams. Until then, I just think we're a first round out still

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think they'll keep pace with TB and MTL for much of the season, likely falling short of topping the division in the end finishing 2nd or 3rd. I'm thinking special teams should be a big strength. I think Detroit PP was second to only Washington(?), and Green crossed the floor. As long as the PK is average or slightly better, moderate discipline should ensure we will have an edge on special teams. Of course there is X factors in Blashill, and Datsyuk's recovery...but imo it should be a real positive factor.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Fair points. I'm the kind of person that needs to see it first before I'll ever believe it. (I guess I am a pessimist). If Detroit can get to the ECF this season I'll start to believe they will compete and start contending against superior teams. Until then, I just think we're a first round out still

So until they get out of the first round you're just gunna think we're a first round out? Bold opinion.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
So until they get out of the first round you're just gunna think we're a first round out? Bold opinion.

I'm saying I don't think this team has gotten any better since this core has begun to fill the roster since 2013. Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Howard were the only reason for beating the Ducks in the first round that year. That, and the Ducks ridiculous ability to lose game 7's

Did the Red Wings maybe deserve better last year against Tampa? Probably. My whole point was that I don't see this team doing anything of relevance for another 2 years at the very least. The whole point of the conversation was about optimism and I was just trying to show my pessimistic pov

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Montreal and Detroit will fight for 2nd place in the division. I could really see us taking that spot if Carey Price isn't superhuman this year again.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Montreal and Detroit will fight for 2nd place in the division. I could really see us taking that spot if Carey Price isn't superhuman this year again.

I can't unless Z returns to form, Datsyuk isn't out for an extended period and doesn't have lingering issues and Ottawa/Montreal/Boston don't go on a hot streak early. Detroit's current roster is pretty suspect down the middle and on the back end and could have a some grown pains for younger and newer additions.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yep. I'm saying they are trending up. That's why I'm predicting 100 points. 4 points more than last season.

I really dont know how you, or anyone is thinking boston is gonna be good, maybe even better then us

They got rask, but they have a terrible dcore, Chara isnt chara anymore. If he was im sure alot of people would be predicting playoffs. But they also lost Lucic and Dougie Hamilton (backpacked their dcore last season)

and I think they lost their coach (doesn't really matter, But with a dcore like that..)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I can't unless Z returns to form, Datsyuk isn't out for an extended period and doesn't have lingering issues and Ottawa/Montreal/Boston don't go on a hot streak early. Detroit's current roster is pretty suspect down the middle and on the back end and could have a some grown pains for younger and newer additions.

You are forgetting we have a 200point larkin if things get bad :sarcasm:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think Tampa Bay and Montreal fight for first and second and then Detroit, Ottawa, Boston, Florida fight for third

Tampa Bay
Montreal
Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Florida
Toronto
Buffalo

That's what I'm hoping the division looks like, another automatic playoff spot. Bad news is we play Carey Price and lose in the first round once again. But hey, it's ok!!! We made the playoffs again!!!

aw dont be like that. Montreal isnt even that good. and Price wasn't that good in the playoffs last year.

Montreal only beat 1 team in the last 3 years that was any good. Boston. and that's probably because they were just fueled by the rivalry. Got smoked by Ottawa, and then Tampa.. and then when they did beat Tampa the one year, it was because they were inexperienced and injured.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really dont know how you, or anyone is thinking boston is gonna be good, maybe even better then us

They got rask, but they have a terrible dcore, Chara isnt chara anymore. If he was im sure alot of people would be predicting playoffs. But they also lost Lucic and Dougie Hamilton (backpacked their dcore last season)

and I think they lost their coach (doesn't really matter, But with a dcore like that..)

So, you are also ready to bet against me?

I'm not saying they are gonna be better than us, but with my analyze, they will be better than last year and at the playoffs.

Actual Thought*

Could be 1st or could be last. Depends on Blashill and health. The roster should be much improved over last year. I wouldn't be surprised if we made the conf. final and I wouldn't be surprised if we missed the playoffs for the first time in forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad