Since when are games only 60mins? Oil win 4-2!

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Nuge will be missed. He does a ton of things right.

I guess the rumours can stop with him now.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I was thinking of starting a new thread for this but I'll just say it here. What you people think about shot blocking? Hopkins is out alot of players have suffered serious injuries because of shot blocking. Do you think it should be banned?

I have never liked shot blocking. I have the most respect for players that put there welfare on the line to help their team win but enough is enough. Hockey pucks have killed people. people in the stands have been hit by pucks and died. Pucks can shatter plexiglass put dents in metal and crack wood. To me it looks like a tragedy waiting to happen, when a player gets hit by a puck trying to block a shot and gets killed or crippled. The NHL wants to increase scoring then stopping shot blocking would help. If they aren't going to ban it I think they should make it mandatory that coaches and management can't tell a player to block shots. It'd be mandatory to learn how to block shots properly but illegal for coaches or management to tell players to do it in games or face fines or suspensions. It'd all be up to the player. That would cut back shot blocking and injuries and pressure on the players to do it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I was thinking of starting a new thread for this but I'll just say it here. What you people think about shot blocking? Hopkins is out alot of players have suffered serious injuries because of shot blocking. Do you think it should be banned?

I have never liked shot blocking. I have the most respect for players that put there welfare on the line to help their team win but enough is enough. Hockey pucks have killed people. people in the stands have been hit by pucks and died. Pucks can shatter plexiglass put dents in metal and crack wood. To me it looks like a tragedy waiting to happen, when a player gets hit by a puck trying to block a shot and gets killed or crippled. The NHL wants to increase scoring then stopping shot blocking would help. If they aren't going to ban it I think they should make it mandatory that coaches and management can't tell a player to block shots. It'd be mandatory to learn how to block shots properly but illegal for coaches or management to tell players to do it in games or face fines or suspensions. It'd all be up to the player. That would cut back shot blocking and injuries and pressure on the players to do it.

Meh, I hate shot-blocking but I don't think this would work. It'd be next to impossible to enforce. Who's reporting the coaches or management for this? The players? That's a nice way to get ostracized on your team or put in the dog-house and lose minutes.

If anything, I'd want better training for our players when they block shots. Someone commented earlier - our players (or stars, anyways) seem to be blocking shots in a very dangerous manner - hand down or ankle out. If they're going to be blocking shocks (commendable), we should be training them to do it in a way to minimize injury risk.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Even if you ban shot blocking I assume the type that RNH does won't be outlawed. They were gonig to go after the blocks where a guy hits the ice to block a shot. What was RNH really suppose to do, dive out of the way?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not a bad game overall. PK was good. PP didn't get chances. Were solid on the dot and at takeaways.

Thought Purcell's empty netter was a nice goalie. Usually we'd miss those and the play would go back to our end.

Kassian and Yak had a decent game generating chances.

Draistil not sure what to say anymore. Kid is just a beast and the definition of what tough to play against is. Doesn't quit on a play.

Really liking the simple game that Pakarinien plays as well.

Odd moment of the game for me was Thornton get PP time in the first. Really?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Also very obvious that our defense needs another vet d-man that is vocal and can play 20 minutes a night. Sekera really doesn't seem to be that guy after hearing his answer in the intermission about helping the kids.

LockDown21

May 24, 2015
On banning shot blocking - I agree that it is not feasible. What I would like to see better awareness by the players. When they are pressuring the point and preparing to block a shot - why do they always have their hands open and their palms facing the shooter? All the padding on the glove is on the other side so why not have that side facing the shooter.... Countless times you see the player with his palms facing the shooter and boom takes it off the hand a trip to the IR follows.

Either way happy we won and hope Nuge can get back fast, he may not be the offensive dynamo we hoped for but he does a lot of things that don't make the stat sheet, he will be missed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
according to Spector, if its like Gallagher's injury, could miss up to a month and 8 days...so end of Feb he'll be back
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I missed that, what did he say?

Got asked if he thinks he has the responsibility of being a leader with some of the young guys on the backend.. he responded along the lines of no he doesn't, that they have been playing hockey for a long time or something and he doesn't have to teach them.
From another poster. It was just odd

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Got asked if he thinks he has the responsibility of being a leader with some of the young guys on the backend.. he responded along the lines of no he doesn't, that they have been playing hockey for a long time or something and he doesn't have to teach them.

Thanks.

I don't really find it odd. Some guys just aren't vocal leaders and I never thought of Sekera as one based on what I've seen of him which is fine, as long as he plays his position well.
The problem with the Oilers is that they have very few vocal leaders, Hendricks is pretty much the only one that comes to mind. And Mclellan of course. Then again, none of us really knows what goes on in the locker room.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thanks.

I don't really find it odd. Some guys just aren't vocal leaders and I never thought of Sekera as one based on what I've seen of him which is fine, as long as he plays his position well.
The problem with the Oilers is that they have very few vocal leaders, Hendricks is pretty much the only one that comes to mind. And Mclellan of course. Then again, none of us really knows what goes on in the locker room.

That's kinda what my thoughts are as well, but Sekera seemed quite clear he isn't a vocal leader. Those kids really could use one that plays a significant role back there.

Wouldn't shock me if Gryba is a vocal leader, but these non-skilled guys don't seem to always get the message through for some reason

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Very good game for the most part, that is how the oilers have to play to win, offense. Even if they get blown out the odd time this team should be pressing with offense every single game. They totally go into brain lock mode when defense is preached too much imo.

I wanted to reach through the tv screen and throttle Sekera after that 1st goal.

I guess we have more RNh fans on here than I thought a few weeks ago every one and their dog wanted to ship him and Eberle out asap.

This is also why that if you are dealing a center you better be getting the exact player you want back in return. Injuries happen every year and teams with good depth ride it out, teams without do not.

Welcome to the 2nd line Anton Lander.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's kinda what my thoughts are as well, but Sekera seemed quite clear he isn't a vocal leader. Those kids really could use one that plays a significant role back there.

Wouldn't shock me if Gryba is a vocal leader, but these non-skilled guys don't seem to always get the message through for some reason

At least Sekera was being honest, I find it refreshing actually rather than giving a generic answer. Hall seems to be opening up the communication a bit on the ice but he's more of a "lead by example" type of guy.

To be honest, there aren't as many vocal leaders as there used to be. Lots of "quiet leaders". Usually the grinders are the more vocal guys.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't think it's as bad as it's being made to sound here.

He was asked about being a leader and he said these guys already know how to play hockey, but if they need anything he's there.

Maybe not the yell at you on the ice to get your ass moving kinda guy, but someone who will help if you ask.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think it's as bad as it's being made to sound here.

He was asked about being a leader and he said these guys already know how to play hockey, but if they need anything he's there.

Maybe not the yell at you on the ice to get your ass moving kinda guy, but someone who will help if you ask.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying we need that guy though. One of the biggest issues this team faces is consistency. Having leaders to let these kids know they need to step it up at times is something we've lacked up front and on the back end.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Nice move by Kassian, to get it to his backhand....

Looking better every game...

b7xTtMC.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad