Prospect Info: Simon Nemec - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
One area he needs to clean up is a couple very risky breakout passes that could’ve led to goals against. Sometimes he’s a little too poised and risky in dangerous areas but I’m sure that will fix itself over time. Glad the coaches let him play through that.
Like with Severson in this same scenario, players capable of doing special things will get caught doing it sometimes. Those long, tape to tape stretch passes have been missing for us a bit this year. If he can bring that, I'll live with some of the risky passes.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
extremely impressed by nemec. looks like his play just translates to whatever level he is playing at. he looks as polished as jack/nico did in their age 19 season (even more so), kudos to the devils development team. there is also clearly nothing for him to gain in the AHL if hes playing PK and top D minutes against one of the best offensive teams in the league. he wont be sent down again.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
When Hamilton went out injured, I was most worried about two things he brought: his offensive output and his minutes eating.

It's only been two games, but I think Nemec has filled in well for both so far. The offensive skill is clearly there, and so far it translates to the NHL game. He should definitely be on the PP2 unit, and his stretch passing helps our transition game immensely.

And he has done fine with absorbing much of Dougie's ice time, albeit with some minutes getting spread to others. I was impressed to see he did reasonably well killing penalties last night.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
i fully expect there to be set backs in his transition and for him to look like a 19 year old rookie dman. need to also be patient with his development but as i said when he was sent down-- id rather him go through that learning curve now than later on the season.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think Nemec will be our clear #1 by the time he fully find his groove.
The crazy part is that he’s arguably been the teams number 1 for a few games now.

When the Devils drafted him his special skill seemed to be the ability to know where every other player was on the ice at all time. So far, we are seeing that translate to the NHL as he’s often in the right spot to start or shut down plays when most players wouldn’t realize to be at that location or find that open player.

If his recent play is indicative of his current skill/value and he has a traditional growth curve he is going to be an absolute monster.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1704387808410.png

1704388631006.png

1704388687987.png

1704388776483.png

1704388820404.png

With 1 min in PKper game and the most TOI 5 on 5 Nemec is playing more defensive role against tough opponents, Nemec is NUMBER ONE devils defenseman now with the best SA, xGA, xGF%, HDCA.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Great problem to have but we are definitely going to have to clear some cap for him in 3 years.

Palat can be bought out just as Nemec’s ELC expires. I think the bigger issue might be Luke’s next deal if they try to get nuts with Toffoli or overpay McLeod if he continues his march towards a potential 20 goal 40 point season. Fitz made some bigger moves to bring the team along and after last season it’s hard to fault him but those have to be cleaned out for the next generation of Devils.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
While lugging around a struggling Siegenthaler as well.
Its a crime Ruff and Fitz decided to send him to AHL after his preseason. Yeah, I know, Fitz tried to save one more ELC year. Im overreacting. But it is looking fun now, especially with injured Miller from the start of the season. May be we would not lose some points on the start of the season.

Great problem to have but we are definitely going to have to clear some cap for him in 3 years.
If Devils will sign Luke this summer, Nemec may be the most expensive player if he will start to play bigger PP role. It will be smart enough from Fitz and Ruff to limit his PP opportunity, especially with healthy Dougie to save cap space.

Palat can be bought out just as Nemec’s ELC expires. I think the bigger issue might be Luke’s next deal if they try to get nuts with Toffoli or overpay McLeod if he continues his march towards a potential 20 goal 40 point season. Fitz made some bigger moves to bring the team along and after last season it’s hard to fault him but those have to be cleaned out for the next generation of Devils.
I think Fitz will figure it out. He will trade, buy out someone if he will need to. Its a good problem to have. Hamilton nmc will be open for this moment. If he will be good enough to play solid pp game, someone will take his deal for free - we have actual examples with Burns.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Its a crime Ruff and Fitz decided to send him to AHL after his preseason. Yeah, I know, Fitz tried to save one more ELC year. Im overreacting. But it is looking fun now, especially with injured Miller from the start of the season. May be we would not lose some points on the start of the season.

If Devils will sign Luke this summer, Nemec may be the most expensive player if he will start to play bigger PP role. It will be smart enough from Fitz and Ruff to limit his PP opportunity, especially with healthy Dougie to save cap space.

I think Fitz will figure it out. He will trade, buy out someone if he will need to. Its a good problem to have. Hamilton nmc will be open for this moment. If he will be good enough to play solid pp game, someone will take his deal for free - we have actual examples with Burns.
My recollection is Dougie's deal was more or less a five year deal before he could reasonably be moved? He's on year three so two more years?

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Overall in the league from 200+ min 5 on 5 Nemec is #11 defenseman in SA, #30 in xGA, NUMBER NINE in xGF%.

He is already elite two way defenseman. Without any real PP opportunity.

View attachment 795758
Makes that trade on this forum for Markstrom Hanifan and Coronato even more laughable.....Wouldn't trade Nemec straight up for that or that with added pieces either.....

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My recollection is Dougie's deal was more or less a five year deal before he could reasonably be moved? He's on year three so two more years?
He has one more NMC year(and we wil not have a problem with it), after that - M-NTC with 10 teams trade list. Overall he isnt very healthy so may be we will hide him if we need that. May be some team will want to have expirienced 1pp qb. Hamilton is still very productive and he is top-10 xGF% defenseman. We will not lose many assets in his potential trade.

Makes that trade on this forum for Markstrom Hanifan and Coronato even more laughable.....Wouldn't trade Nemec straight up for that or that with added pieces either.....
I would not trade Nemec. Thats it. Even for McDavid. Nemec is young and under control for many years with top-5 two way defenseman of the league potential. His prime is long, he will not cost us more that he should, I believe in the next 10-11 years he will got less than he will doing on the ice. Markstrom and Hanifin?) Its a Anderson level offer.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I like belittling Nemec on general boards. Its started from Jiricek PP points in AHL, and now when Nemec started to be most used and most important Devils defenseman, some people in the stage of denial, some are silent.

Its sad that without those starting games Nemec can't fight for Calder. Its interesting who will win it - possibly injured Bedard, Luke or Faber who is a work horse for wild.

Anyway its good to have the best overall defensive prospect in Nemec and the best offensive D prospect in Luke. Both are already great, both will help to win more in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino