What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The "playing injured" excuse is such a weak one. Many players every year play through injury. The fact is that many of the Toronto star players, players they rely on and have invested far too much cap space on, are just flat out not showing up. Marner being one of them. This isn't anything new either. This core has been together long enough for everyone to know what they are. They just don't have that extra gear and drive that is needed for playoff hockey. They aren't willing to get dirty.

It's ridiculous that here we are yet another year later making the same sorry excuses for these same players. That Marner though, wow.

Last edited:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
That 3rd period would infuriate me if I was a Leafs fan. Clearly the skill is there to be a good playoff performer. The guy just doesn’t bring it consistently.

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Paul Marner's Baby Boy is too busy wanting to be on the cover of EA NHL games or wanting to do sports betting commercials, to show up for a game.

Only 7 shots this entire series, I don't care how many points you put up in a regular season if you consistently fail to show up in the playoffs you're of no use to anybody.

He should have been benched earlier in the series, he should be benched a hell of a lot more often during regular season, and there should be zero chance he is wearing the blue and white next season.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How may guys of his ilk are post-season dynamos? He's a smaller, finesse winger. That results in him being a target and it shows.
Marner is 6'0, 180 pounds. How many guys that size are post-season dynamos?

I dunno, hundreds, maybe thousands of guys over the years.

He's not small, he's soft. There's a huge difference.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If the Leafs don’t make a comeback this series, I will be in disbelief if Marner is not traded.

They keep running back the same shit year after year after year with the same result. They likely won’t win a Marner trade but sometimes it’s what it takes to become a better team. Similar to how the Oilers traded Hall for Larsson.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Marner is 6'0, 180 pounds. How many guys that size are post-season dynamos?

I dunno, hundreds, maybe thousands of guys over the years.

He's not small, he's soft. There's a huge difference.
Mike Richards was 5’10” and generously listed at 180 pounds, and was a certified honey badger when the games mattered.

Justin Williams was not a big man, and played his very best hockey in the post season when the chips were down.

Marchand is a tiny little dude, and he always shows up in the playoffs.

Noted lunatic Theo fleury was a midget who played in the most abusive era of hockey ever, and he thrived. The list goes on.

Not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Jets have the same issue with Ehlers. Can't handle the playoff style of hockey

Ehlers does have a big drop off. Produces at a 60 point pace in the regular season and it cuts in half in the playoffs.

Not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

The problem for Marner is this: He's not even a dog. He's a p***y.... cat.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
That's literally the definition of soft.

It's more of an issue specific to certain players. Unfortunately, those players are key players and they are paid a lot of money.

But as a team, I don't think they're particularly soft in the sense that the whole team can't handle physical play. They have their defensemen and depth and support guys who can play a physical game. When it comes to lacking mental toughness, that seems to be more of a team-wide problem.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Who can/will give up assets for him this offseason? Any team who would (not many) wouldn't be on his list. So I think you have to keep him until the deadline when he becomes a rental.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The little temper tantrum on the bench didn’t really help him.
It’s 2-0 in the game. Instead of throwing a fit because a teammate criticized you, go out on the ice and do something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad