Recalled/Assigned: Simon Edvinsson recalled from Grand Rapids

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It is very "important" that we manage his minutes, cause if he plays on the road and does bad, the season might be lost!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
To be fair, they don't want him playing more than 9 games (the right call), and he has already played 3 with still 9 left, which means he will be sitting at least 3 more times this year.

They should give him 5-6 games, and then send down, and call some other kid to play 3-4.

Reactions: lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
And Yzerman don't want to burn that year. He likes to keep caphits as low as possible.

That was the Tampa cap management winning way.

The Tampa cap management was getting guys to sign on comically low cap hits, in part because of the state tax laws, in part because of culture building.

Every GM likes to keep cap hits low, it’s not exclusive to Yzerman. In this situation, it’s just about which cap hit you care about. Do you slide the ELC and keep the very low cap hit for an extra year, or do you burn it and sign a longer term second contract at a raise, but hopefully not as much of a raise as if you slide the ELC and give a player another year to make his case.

I’m not saying these numbers are exact, but it could be the difference in….

Slide, ELC, ELC, ELC, 6x7mil
ELC, ELC, ELC, 6x5.5mil

The likelihood is probably pretty small, but that’s the concept behind burning that year early.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The Tampa cap management was getting guys to sign on comically low cap hits, in part because of the state tax laws, in part because of culture building.

Every GM likes to keep cap hits low, it’s not exclusive to Yzerman. In this situation, it’s just about which cap hit you care about. Do you slide the ELC and keep the very low cap hit for an extra year, or do you burn it and sign a longer term second contract at a raise, but hopefully not as much of a raise as if you slide the ELC and give a player another year to make his case.

I’m not saying these numbers are exact, but it could be the difference in….

Slide, ELC, ELC, ELC, 6x7mil
ELC, ELC, ELC, 6x5.5mil

The likelihood is probably pretty small, but that’s the concept behind burning that year early.

Tampa culture was what ever it was, but Yzerman is gonna replace same at Detroit. It is neccessarily not based on same factors, but Yzerman will find a way.

Just wait and see.

Short-term contracts have now been the key for low caphits, and extending ELCs as long as possible, is one way to go.

Bringing in more defensive team structure, is another way to go. Contracts are based on point-scoring, so avoiding inflated scoring controls your cap.

It's the key for cap management. Always having those steals here and there. Some players are market valued and you delay some other raises as long as possible. Then you maximize your underpaid players in general, and when going against the cap, you have more valuable team than the caphit sum is.

Those teams are called as Stanley Cup contenders.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Tampa culture was what ever it was, but Yzerman is gonna replace same at Detroit. It is neccessarily not based on same factors, but Yzerman will find a way.

Just wait and see.

Short-term contracts have now been the key for low caphits, and extending ELCs as long as possible, is one way to go.

Bringing in more defensive team structure, is another way to go. Contracts are based on point-scoring, so avoiding inflated scoring controls your cap.

It's the key for cap management. Always having those steals here and there. Some players are market valued and you delay some other raises as long as possible. Then you maximize your underpaid players in general, and when going against the cap, you have more valuable team than the caphit sum is.

Those teams are called as Stanley Cup contenders.

Far too much dramatic effect in this post for it to be grounded in reality.

Short-term contracts weren't the driving force behind Tampa's cap structure and culture. Yzerman got long term buy in at lower than market prices for key players. The only person he's done that with for Detroit is Larkin, and there are still people who think Larkin ended up signing for too much.

Kucherov signed for $9.5 for 8 years after scoring 100 points for the first time in his career.
Stamkos signed for $8.5 for 8 years after two healthy years scoring at a 40 goal pace.
Hedman signed for $7.9 for 8 years 1 year before his true breakout statistical year. (This is an example of why you would want to accelerate getting to the second deal, though this was his third)
Alex Killorn signed for $4.5 for 7 years.

Vasy signed a bridge deal under Yzerman because he had been Bishop's backup until that point.
Yzerman didn't negotiate Point's second contract.

As for the comment about defensive mindset, no, I don't think that ends up suppressing contracts in the long term. I think it makes for contentious contract negotiations, with players more likely to look to leave in free agency when they feel that their value is higher than they are being offered. I think it limits the value and potential of the talent that you draft and develop. I also think that suggesting it's Yzerman's goal is misinformed. He didn't do it in Tampa. Being a team that pays attention to the details and plays a complete defensive game doesn't mean you have to play like you are coached by Tortorella. Jon Cooper's team in Tampa has been one of the most explosive offensive teams in the league for years. Top 10 in goals for since 2017.

--

If there is any defensible argument for sliding the ELC right now, it's because Yzerman is spreading his contracts over time as much as he can so he doesn't end up pinned with RFA deals to negotiate all at the same time. Raymond, Berggren and Seider all need new deals after next year. Edvinsson needs one the year after that...unless he slides. It gives an extra year to sort things out.

Because coming right behind that wave with Edvinsson will be Kasper, Mazur, Soderblom, Hanas, Johansson, Wallinder, Tuomisto, etc. There will be players who click and there will be players who flounder, but without a doubt there will be names you want to give deals to, not even mentioning UFAs or trade acquisitions. You will add another name or two into the mix with this draft class, and we can only hope it ends up including a name like Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson who will need to sign their second deal 3 years from now.

It's not lost on me the importance of managing the cap and the timing of all these contracts, but when you have someone like Edvinsson, you feel confident about the player he is trending towards becoming, try to get him on an 8 year deal worth 6 million per and enjoy everyone else talking about how you have the best bargain contract in the league (see: Pastrnak, Mackinnon). Rather than be the Maple Leafs juggling a trio of 10+ contracts, struggling to add the pieces you need, and watching the few good value deals you have (Nylander) slowly expire and leave you fruitless.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Far too much dramatic effect in this post for it to be grounded in reality.

Short-term contracts weren't the driving force behind Tampa's cap structure and culture. Yzerman got long term buy in at lower than market prices for key players. The only person he's done that with for Detroit is Larkin, and there are still people who think Larkin ended up signing for too much.

Kucherov signed for $9.5 for 8 years after scoring 100 points for the first time in his career.
Stamkos signed for $8.5 for 8 years after two healthy years scoring at a 40 goal pace.
Hedman signed for $7.9 for 8 years 1 year before his true breakout statistical year. (This is an example of why you would want to accelerate getting to the second deal, though this was his third)
Alex Killorn signed for $4.5 for 7 years.

Vasy signed a bridge deal under Yzerman because he had been Bishop's backup until that point.
Yzerman didn't negotiate Point's second contract.

As for the comment about defensive mindset, no, I don't think that ends up suppressing contracts in the long term. I think it makes for contentious contract negotiations, with players more likely to look to leave in free agency when they feel that their value is higher than they are being offered. I think it limits the value and potential of the talent that you draft and develop. I also think that suggesting it's Yzerman's goal is misinformed. He didn't do it in Tampa. Being a team that pays attention to the details and plays a complete defensive game doesn't mean you have to play like you are coached by Tortorella. Jon Cooper's team in Tampa has been one of the most explosive offensive teams in the league for years. Top 10 in goals for since 2017.

--

If there is any defensible argument for sliding the ELC right now, it's because Yzerman is spreading his contracts over time as much as he can so he doesn't end up pinned with RFA deals to negotiate all at the same time. Raymond, Berggren and Seider all need new deals after next year. Edvinsson needs one the year after that...unless he slides. It gives an extra year to sort things out.

Because coming right behind that wave with Edvinsson will be Kasper, Mazur, Soderblom, Hanas, Johansson, Wallinder, Tuomisto, etc. There will be players who click and there will be players who flounder, but without a doubt there will be names you want to give deals to, not even mentioning UFAs or trade acquisitions. You will add another name or two into the mix with this draft class, and we can only hope it ends up including a name like Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson who will need to sign their second deal 3 years from now.

It's not lost on me the importance of managing the cap and the timing of all these contracts, but when you have someone like Edvinsson, you feel confident about the player he is trending towards becoming, try to get him on an 8 year deal worth 6 million per and enjoy everyone else talking about how you have the best bargain contract in the league (see: Pastrnak, Mackinnon). Rather than be the Maple Leafs juggling a trio of 10+ contracts, struggling to add the pieces you need, and watching the few good value deals you have (Nylander) slowly expire and leave you fruitless.

OUTSTANDING POST!

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Simon won't get in 10 games BUT, I think he may not exactly be a "healthy" scratch. That Gudas hit was nasty. I just hope it is nothing chronic. Much better to have a bruised thigh than a hip injury.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Saving Simon's ELC another year will make it to where Simon, Kasper, Mazur and Wallinder all have ELCs finish at the same time.

Depending on how good they all are, could be a problem. A nice problem to have if they are all good.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Looks like Larkin Seider Raymond and Edvinsson can be built around. Hopefully Kasper can be added to that list as well. On top of that it looks like theres at least a few really solid complimentary guys in Rasmussen, Walman, Berggren plus some others on the way like Mazur, Soderblom, Johansson. Plus the wings still have a tonne of draft capital.

Its taking a while but everything is shaping up
Rasmussen was found another gear during that string of games against canadian teams up until the injury. Hes a bigger, more skilled zach hyman, and is imo easily the 2nd best forward on the team. Think he will be a core piece.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Rasmussen was found another gear during that string of games against canadian teams up until the injury. Hes a bigger, more skilled zach hyman, and is imo easily the 2nd best forward on the team. Think he will be a core piece.

Hyman has 34 goals and 80 points this year.

Reactions: Ulysses31

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I think Ras is a valuable piece but I'm not gonna say hes a guy you build around. I wouldnt say that about Hyman either though.

Hes not a guy I would be looking at getting rid of though either by any means

Reactions: Ulysses31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad