Simon Despres appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I can't wait to celebrate with you guys when Simon hoists the Cup .

I wonder if he'll drink gravy from it

Simon is gonna spend his day with the cup in Atlanta, he's going to get a "Cup of Sausage Gravy to go". He'll drink it from the CEC rafters

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Still can't believe this trade.
20 minutes left in the trade deadline and everything looks good and they made the worst swap possible.

Hell, it wouldn't even be as bad if they got a young forward with upside back BUT the story goes the Pens called Murray WANTING Lovejoy. WHAT in the ****?

Anywho, i hope he wins a Cup this year.

Thank goodness they only called with 20 minutes left. Murray probably could of gotten our ******** gms to give up our three remaining draft picks too, if he had more time.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Man, he's getting complimented by commentators. The trade sucked for us, but it must just rule for him.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
It's gonna be worse next year when we trade Bennett for whatever our GMs think is a good hockey player. But Dupuis will be back in the top-six, so all will be good.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Thought he had a bit of a rough 2nd - along with just about every other Anaheim player - not as much fun in the Ozone tonight as previous games. Just rock solid and steady.

**** everything.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Yeah he didn't have his best game today. Made a couple blind passes up the boards to no-one and a couple iffy reads around the net. Still did a great job of stopping the play at the blue line and winning every battle.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yeah he didn't have his best game today. Made a couple blind passes up the boards to no-one and a couple iffy reads around the net. Still did a great job of stopping the play at the blue line and winning every battle.

He never quits on a play. Never. He fights and fights and fights. Why a team wouldn't want and covet that is beyond me. Used to say his offense made up for defensive lapses, but his refusal to lose a puck battle makes up for it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I only watched the first half and he was pretty steady. It's hard for him to stand out offensively on Anaheim's D behind Lindholm, Fowler, and Vatanen but he's been a rock back there. It's so funny because they use him like the Penguins use Scuderi. I guess he didn't need babysat after all.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Bad trades happen all the time but usually you don't realize that until a year or many years down the line, and there's always factors like injuries and unforeseen drop offs in a player's performance (Erat), or sudden emergences like Naslund and Niskanen. But outside of trades that weren't directly about hockey (Kovy, Jagr) can anyone name a trade that was so unanimously bad immediately? Like nobody was defending this trade here or anywhere. This trade honestly reminds me of when Tallon forgot to submit qualifying offers in time and a bunch of RFAs became UFAs. It's like they went to submit the trade for Belesky or Etem but hit the wrong name in the drop down box and didn't want to own up to their mistake. Or someone was under the influence of something. It's soooo bad. At this point the only way the Penguins win this trade is if Despres murders half of the Ducks roster.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I only watched the first half and he was pretty steady. It's hard for him to stand out offensively on Anaheim's D behind Lindholm, Fowler, and Vatanen but he's been a rock back there. It's so funny because they use him like the Penguins use Scuderi. I guess he didn't need babysat after all.

That they didn't realise he was the one doing the babysitting was pretty offensive on its own.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
He never quits on a play. Never. He fights and fights and fights. Why a team wouldn't want and covet that is beyond me. Used to say his offense made up for defensive lapses, but his refusal to lose a puck battle makes up for it.

Church

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Bad trades happen all the time but usually you don't realize that until a year or many years down the line, and there's always factors like injuries and unforeseen drop offs in a player's performance (Erat), or sudden emergences like Naslund and Niskanen. But outside of trades that weren't directly about hockey (Kovy, Jagr) can anyone name a trade that was so unanimously bad immediately? Like nobody was defending this trade here or anywhere. This trade honestly reminds me of when Tallon forgot to submit qualifying offers in time and a bunch of RFAs became UFAs. It's like they went to submit the trade for Belesky or Etem but hit the wrong name in the drop down box and didn't want to own up to their mistake. Or someone was under the influence of something. It's soooo bad. At this point the only way the Penguins win this trade is if Despres murders half of the Ducks roster.

Nothing surprises me anymore with this franchise. With JR now at the helm, I expect a lot of more lopsided trades occurring in the future as well.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

They consistently treated Despres like he was someone that they had to keep on the team rather than someone they wanted on the team. Literally everyone else got better opportunities than he did, more credit for their achievements and more leeway than he did. From coaches AND the media, it was so bizarre. It's one case where no-one can deny that there was genuine spite from the organisation. What for we may never know or IC could never tell us.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Man, he's getting complimented by commentators. The trade sucked for us, but it must just rule for him.

Definitely rules for him. He got bounced around and overly criticized by the team here, and getting traded as a young guy with promise very clearly hurt him at the time. But Anaheim is a fantastic organizing with a great coach, great leadership, lots of success and still lots of potential for more success in the coming years, and he has been given the confidence he needs. Not to mention it's ****ing California (no offense, I do like Pittsburgh).

Good for him. I picked the Ducks to win awhile ago.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
They consistently treated Despres like he was someone that they had to keep on the team rather than someone they wanted on the team. Literally everyone else got better opportunities than he did, more credit for their achievements and more leeway than he did. From coaches AND the media, it was so bizarre. It's one case where no-one can deny that there was genuine spite from the organisation. What for we may never know or IC could never tell us.

Others on this board seem to know more than I do in that regard. I've asked multiple people, and the best I ever got - and I said this before the trade - was that they are obsessive about the handedness of their d, and they wanted a RHS.

I know for a fact that he was well-liked by at least a portion of the room. I don't think he was disliked by anyone, though there were reports from others that certain players were threatened by him - but they're gone now.

There are two pretty common rumors, neither of which I've been able to confirm - the organization, from my point of view, has refused to bash the kid - and that's related to uh, the ingestion of liquid and ... Hanging out live at the Arron Asham radio show (trying to be discreet here, just infer)

Neither of those are, in my mind, offences punishable by trade, but I've felt pretty comfortable saying that Guerin hated him. Maybe he felt like he wasn't devoted to hockey. I don't know.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I've heard stories about pretty much everyone having loose nights (especially during the Talbot era), so I doubt it's that unless he really pissed someone off while drunk. Considering the Aces and Ice thing and the pictures of the guys playing cards at Sid's place (IIRC) I think they're cool with that too. The whole ignoring Bylsma's bad advice saga wouldn't have helped with Dan, but ownership made a point of saying that he was playing better than he was given credit for. The fact that they STILL didn't give him any opportunities this year, but that can't give a straight answer as to why they traded him makes me think it's something personal. The way that he's been treated and constantly complimented in Anaheim doesn't match up with him being someone that coaches don't like either.

It's like the ****ing twilight zone.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
At this point the only way the Penguins win this trade is if Despres murders half of the Ducks roster.

I think your on to something......we need to start a rumor that his team mates are hording all the doughnuts......it'll be a bloodbath. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad