Simon Despres appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
All hail Bob Errey. I really wish these guys were allowed to have opinions during the broadcast. I mean Steiggy was constantly critical of Despres and Errey rarely said a word during the game about it.

Gotta feel bad for Errey. He knows how awful some of the moves/trades this org has made and he has to blab about how great they are.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Can anyone listen to the Errey interview and post a summary? I can't get iheart to work up here anymore

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Everyone in the world knew the Despres trade was legendarily bad except those with the power to execute it.

Therein lies the problem with this team. A stubborn, almost spiteful unwillingness to do the common sense thing.

Exactly. I would have been bummed about him being traded under any circumstances but, they could have, at least, solved many of this teams problems by getting a fair return for him. Instead we just gave him away. I could get over this if there were any upside whatsoever.

The more I read the more disgusted I get and I was pretty disgusted to begin with.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

errey is pretty much spot on in this entire thing but i'll stick to what he says about despres

"we made a bad trade by trading simon despres, another young guy that was just coming into his own, terrible trade, and really, it turned out that he might have been the difference in those 2-1 hockey games"

"quite honestly the man he was traded for was on the ice for both winning goals, not to point fingers, but he had the opportunity to make plays on them"

"i'm still upset with the simon despres trade. it was the one i didn't like. it was the one where i thought this guy would just get better, could be workhorse, he could have been logging more minutes than anybody"

says dumb **** about kunitz and considers dupuis a top six option lmao. other than that, pretty good. says 2 of bennett, kapanen, sundqvist need to be in the top six (well he kind of says that)

seems like he's not going to talk about despres again

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
errey is pretty much spot on in this entire thing but i'll stick to what he says about despres

"we made a bad trade by trading simon despres, another young guy that was just coming into his own, terrible trade, and really, it turned out that he might have been the difference in those 2-1 hockey games"

"quite honestly the man he was traded for was on the ice for both winning goals, not to point fingers, but he had the opportunity to make plays on them"

"i'm still upset with the simon despres trade. it was the one i didn't like. it was the one where i thought this guy would just get better, could be workhorse, he could have been logging more minutes than anybody"

says dumb **** about kunitz and considers dupuis a top six option lmao. other than that, pretty good. says 2 of bennett, kapanen, sundqvist need to be in the top six (well he kind of says that)

seems like he's not going to talk about despres again

thanks a bunch, dude.

And screw you, Bobby! never let it go. NEVER.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
12 seconds left, dzone face-off, Beauchemin is out there not with Lindholm, but with some scrub who can't defend and can't play the right side and has no experience.

May 10, 2010
Everyone in the world knew the Despres trade was legendarily bad except those with the power to execute it.

Therein lies the problem with this team. A stubborn, almost spiteful unwillingness to do the common sense thing.

There is no unwillingness. They just don't think that the right thing to do is the right thing to do.

Well, yes, which is why I don't know why anyone has any hope at all of them fixing anything. They don't know how and just dig holes deeper and have shown no capability of ever doing any differently.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Despres getting an assist is cool and all, but the part that has hurt me the most is watching the Ducks breakouts. I wish we had dmen that could move the puck :(

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think I'm ever not going to be pissed off about them trading Despres ...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Still can't believe this trade.
20 minutes left in the trade deadline and everything looks good and they made the worst swap possible.

Hell, it wouldn't even be as bad if they got a young forward with upside back BUT the story goes the Pens called Murray WANTING Lovejoy. WHAT in the ****?

Anywho, i hope he wins a Cup this year.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
You can actually see Scuderi's teachings, he's the one guy that can nail the backhand clear off the glass every time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I am rooting for ANaheim so hard to win the Cup. I want Despres holding the cup and I want JR to see it.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I am rooting for ANaheim so hard to win the Cup. I want Despres holding the cup and I want JR to see it.

And Bylsma. And Rossi.

(And Guerin, Botteril, Fitzgerald, Shero and the rest of the Pittsburgh media that blindly supported the idiotic treatment he had his entire career as a Penguin.)

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
The worse this trade goes on to appear, the better it'll be for us (in theory). Mario and Burkle may be incompetent, but even they've got to notice how lopsided and embarrassing that deal was. I can't imagine Burkle became a billionaire by being that oblivious to cold-hard facts.

I just wonder why, out of all the defensemen, why Despres? Not that I'd want Maatta or Pouliot traded, but why not Dumoulin or Harrington? It would've still been piss-poor asset management, but not to the same degree. Despres had a unique skillset among our defensemen, and JR gift-wrapped him to the ****ing Ducks.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The worse this trade goes on to appear, the better it'll be for us (in theory). Mario and Burkle may be incompetent, but even they've got to notice how lopsided and embarrassing that deal was. I can't imagine Burkle became a billionaire by being that oblivious to cold-hard facts.

You think Burkle cares about any deals they make with players not named malkin or crosby? As long as money is made I seriously doubt he really cares about the team year to year when nothing major is going on.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Despres even got some PP time tonight to keep him involved. The Ducks scored while he was out there, but it got waved off for interference.

He ended the game without a hit, which is pretty odd, but I noticed that the Ducks defense only had 2 hits combined. I think the fact that the Ducks had the puck most of the game played a big role into that. I also wouldn't be surprised if Boudreau warned his dmen to avoid chasing hits so that they didn't get burned by the Flame's speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad