Injury Report: Simmonds: Tests show a concussion. ("Should play tomorrow (Feb. 9)," per Sam @ Inq.)

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I honestly can't remember a fight where you can say he clearly lost during his time here.

Brashear was an excellent fighter, though quite a few people on these boards had no love for his fighting style. If he did not get a favorable grip on his opponent at the beginning of the fight, he would tie them up, get them in close with his exceptional strength, and take the tie. "Huggy Bear" was his nickname, and it was well deserved, but he rarely lost, and was pretty effective imo. He could play a regular shift, which unfortunately is rare these days for that kind of player. Hopefully they'll find another one like him some day.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Capitals' Erskine: Simmonds hit wasn't 'reckless'

The James Neal defense...actually worse! Guess only speedskaters deserve suspensions for elbows :shakehead

“I don’t think it was a reckless play or a reckless elbow. I wasn’t flying down the ice a hundred miles an hour with my elbow up in the air.

“I’m going on my 11th year and I haven’t been suspended. I’ve been fined once, I think. I thought that would come into a factor more, but Shanahan did what he had to do and I gotta accept it.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/capitals-erskine-simmonds-hit-wasnt-reckless

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Guess they had enough of Talbot in top 9. Seriously I shold stop hating on him, but offensively he is creating nothing.

Sestito will create space I guess, but I guess they want him to be the "Knuble" on that line. Atleast Lavy is not doing the "Dan Carcillo" by putting Rinaldo on the top lines.

only with Richie. he also had to play with nodl and wellwood. i don't know what lavy was thinking.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The James Neal defense...actually worse! Guess only speedskaters deserve suspensions for elbows :shakehead

I wasn’t flying down the ice a hundred miles an hour with my elbow up in the air

Well he is right, once he realized he was going to get beat did he put his elbow right in Simmonds' face - still making him equally as culpable

He is lucky he didn't get more

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
To me the league missed a perfect opportunity to make an example of a nonfactor player. Suspending Erskine 8-10 games would've sent the message the league needs to send while at the same time not hurting itself from a marketing perspective by suspending a player of consequence (sorry Erskine...not really).

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Simmonds would be unable to play for 7 days from the day he is put on IR. If he's out over a week, you may see him put on the IR retroactively.

CCCP

Nov 17, 2005
i16.photobucket.com
Simmonds would be unable to play for 7 days from the day he is put on IR. If he's out over a week, you may see him put on the IR retroactively.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the retroactively part. Thanks! It's just when you read "no timetable for return", especially with concussion, that usually means he'll be out for a while.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Yeah, they're treating him day-to-day for the moment, just in case he could play tonight (which he won't) or Thursday. After Thursday, if he's not ready to go, he'll likely go on the IR.

Kinsler532

Jul 8, 2012
amazing that erskine was given only 3 games, Colin Mcdonald was given 2 games for a questionable intentful check from behind. Erskine clearly throws an elbow out and only receives 3 games.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
it was Shanadopes suspension wheel of stupidity

If Shanahan was really serious about the head contact stuff, he missed a great chance to make an example out of someone and drop the hammer. Erskine isn't a star and it was blatant. Hell, he could have even let it be known that player history is irrelevant when it comes to head shots, as Erskine has never been suspended.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The league missed a big opportunity during the CBA negotiations by keeping the same system in place. They should have established a committee.

I don't know what the process for amending that stuff is, but they need to to away with the whole Lord of Suspensions thing they have going on.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The league missed a big opportunity during the CBA negotiations by keeping the same system in place. They should have established a committee.

I don't know what the process for amending that stuff is, but they need to to away with the whole Lord of Suspensions thing they have going on.

That makes too much sense. The league will never go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad