Injury Report: Simmonds: Tests show a concussion. ("Should play tomorrow (Feb. 9)," per Sam @ Inq.)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This thread has been opened for commentary:

The Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers finished the first period of Friday’s game without a goal, but the first 20 minutes were anything but uneventful.

Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds went down at 18:14 of the first period after being elbowed in the face by Capitals defenseman John Erskine.

There was blood on the ice when Simmonds was finally able to skate to the bench and he wasn’t with the Flyers for the start of the second period, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi. However, Erskine was not penalized for his actions.

Well after the initial hit, but before the puck was dropped, Philadelphia’s Zac Rinaldo and Washington’s Matt Hendricks got into a fight. Both were ejected from the game as a result.

(Flyers' broadcast clip): http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ndricks-fight-after-simmonds-elbowed-in-head/

----------------------------------------

WASHINGTON — Wayne Simmonds was seemingly walking and talking clearly after the Flyers’ 3-2 loss to the Washington Capitals Friday night, but Simmonds’ playing status remains in doubt.

The Flyers forward was the unfortunate recipient of an elbow to the face thrown by Capitals defender John Erskine with 1:46 remaining in the first period. Simmonds hit the ice, was bleeding from the nose, and may have hit his helmeted head.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said only that Simmonds was suffering from a touch of whiplash, didn’t have a broken nose and would have to pass concussion protocol exams. As for signs of a concussion, Holmgren added, “the doctor saw him tonight and he didn’t say anything about that. So we’ll see how he is (today).â€

The Flyers, riding a three-game losing streak, host the Carolina Panthers tonight. Simmonds, replaced by rookie Tye McGinn on the top line for a while after he went out, was missed greatly, especially on the power play.

“Obviously he’s got a head injury and probably a little bit of a whiplash going on right now,†Holmgren said. “He seemed OK after the game. We’re just going to have to wait and see how he is.â€

Noting Scott Hartnell, the Flyers’ other top physical player up front, is also out, Holmgren said, “If we lose Wayne for any stretch of time, that’s another big hole. It’s hard to replace those guys.â€

Holmgren said when he first saw the play, “I thought it was two guys colliding.†But even though replays clearly showed Erskine throwing the elbow, Holmgren added, “I don’t think John’s that kind of player. I don’t think he’s a dirty player.â€

That didn’t alter Flyers coach Peter Laviolette’s opinion.

“Dirty when I first saw it,†Laviolette said. “Tough hit.â€
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2013/02/01/sports/doc510ca8ee5a018391352393.prt

--------------------------------------------

Sunday update (source Sam @ Inq.):

Wayne Simmonds (concussion) will be re-evaluated Monday, #Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said.

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Good ****ing lord, did you guys check out the Backes major that cost the Blues. Call is just as bad as the non call on Erskine.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
grain-of-salt-300x240.jpg

Hopefully Simmer is alright though.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
If he doesn't have a concussion it gotta be the flu.
Seriously, how can he be ok after this massive hit to the face?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Capitals defenseman John Erskine will have a supplemental discipline hearing with NHL Vice President of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan at 2 p.m. Saturday for hitting Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds in the head Friday night.

With 1 minute 51 seconds remaining in the first period of Washington’s 3-2 win over the Flyers, Erskine elbowed Simmonds in the head as both players pursued a loose puck along the left-wing boards in the Philadelphia zone.

No penalty was called on the play. Simmonds had a bloody nose and was able to head to the bench under his own power, but he never returned to the game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...john-erskine-could-face-discipline-for-elbow/

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Hope he will be alright soon. That was a disgusting elbow and I hope Erskine gets the book thrown at him.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Hope he will be alright soon. That was a disgusting elbow and I hope Erskine gets the book thrown at him.

He won't I suspect - the league is a joke when it comes to this - you want it out of the game.

1st time - 20 games
2nd time - 40 games
3rd time - year.

You won't see this **** too often after that. esp elbows.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He won't I suspect - the league is a joke when it comes to this - you want it out of the game.

1st time - 20 games
2nd time - 40 games
3rd time - year.

You won't see this **** too often after that. esp elbows.

I wouldn't mind seeing them make it to where if the player gets injured and games the other player wouldn't be eligible to return until the same time as the injured player.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Wow - that's horrible. I hope Simmer makes a quick and healthy recovery. I hope Erskine gets the book thrown at him. That was an elbow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad