Line Combos: Simmonds Appreciation

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The way he was punching Benn last night, his punches reminded me of a trebuchet. Just kept launching bombs mechanically. And all this after crunching Hughes into the board. Manhandling defensemen against the end wall is always a plus in my mind. Imagine all those elements at play in a 7 game series against a guy like Torey Krug all these years, or someone to soften up Jones and Werenski last year.

Canuck fans thought the fight was a draw in the GDT, too... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs should have made a better effort attempting to sign Simmonds in the past when opportunities for trades and signings existed.

We could have had him on board for 2 or 3 years and would have been better prepared for the playoffs.

History

Nashville Predators
In the 2018–19 season, his eighth with the Flyers, Simmonds was dealt at the trade deadline to the Nashville Predators in exchange for Ryan Hartman and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 on February 25, 2019.

New Jersey Devils
On July 1, 2019, the New Jersey Devils signed Simmonds as a free agent on a one-year, $5 million contract.

Buffalo Sabres
With the Devils out of playoff contention, Simmonds was dealt at the NHL trade deadline to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft on February 24, 2020.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
hey so this was a large portion of my post that I lost a few reply’s above yours.

I honestly think (and I can say this from experience) that Dubas’ fellow GM’s, media and even fans feel entitled to question all of Dubas’ moves based mostly on his age (being the leafs GM doesn’t help) and also his calm demeanour. I experience this first hand on a daily basis as I am a young professional in my field, and it’s damn hard to get any type of respect from anyone being just as if not more qualified, while being 20-30 years younger.

The old boys club mentality is engrained in hockey, be it the GM’s, players, refs, media, even fans. “The past was ALWAYS better and will always be better than the future”, ext. dubas will be in tough until he actually does something, and if he does end up winning here, I’m sure these same guys will have something to say in regards to that (it was all Lou, hunter, babs and so on)

I think you're definitely onto something here.

Canuck fans thought the fight was a draw in the GDT, too... :rolleyes:

LOL WUT?

Leafs should have made a better effort attempting to sign Simmonds in the past when opportunities for trades and signings existed.

We could have had him on board for 2 or 3 years and would have been better prepared for the playoffs.

History

Nashville Predators
In the 2018–19 season, his eighth with the Flyers, Simmonds was dealt at the trade deadline to the Nashville Predators in exchange for Ryan Hartman and a conditional fourth-round pick in 2020 on February 25, 2019.

New Jersey Devils
On July 1, 2019, the New Jersey Devils signed Simmonds as a free agent on a one-year, $5 million contract.

Buffalo Sabres
With the Devils out of playoff contention, Simmonds was dealt at the NHL trade deadline to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft on February 24, 2020.

Get over it.

Reactions: IPS

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gave him a booshing with his right then swapped hands nonchalantly and continued to swing for the fences.

taps the guy and says good job. Love Simmonds.

Definitely one of the most impressive technical things in a fight I've seen in some time. Most hockey fights are just a frenzy, but Simmonds actually has skilled technique. Almost wonder if he's taken boxing lessons

Reactions: saffronleaf

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Need to have someone else willing to drop the gloves. If the team starts rolling and the refs won't call blatant penalies, teams will start exploiting that and someone will eventually get hurt. Also, with all our excellent face off talent, icing the puck when things get hairy should now be a viable option.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Need to have someone else willing to drop the gloves. If the team starts rolling and the refs won't call blatant penalies, teams will start exploiting that and someone will eventually get hurt. Also, with all our excellent face off talent, icing the puck when things get hairy should now be a viable option.
Bogo looked ready after the Kerfoot hit. Thornton brings that too

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

History

Nashville Predators

New Jersey Devils

Buffalo Sabres

I think Corey Perry might be the one who got away from them this offseason. If we meet Montreal in the playoffs we’ll be wondering why we didn’t sign that pain the butt and have him terrorize the Habs.

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
In all honesty, Simmonds hit on Hughes was a bit much given the timeline of the game. Happy Quinn didn't get hurt on the play, because I can all but guarantee Wayne didn't mean for that play to go down like that. Tough play because Quinn turned at the last second. Definitely some of the accountability has to fall on his shoulders. But good on Jordie Benn to step up against a VERY tough Simmonds, and defend his young teammate. And kudos to Simmer for answering the bell. I said it game 1 when Chiarrat gave Simmonds the fight. It is a respect thing. Chiarrat gives Simmonds that fight not because it was best for montreal, but because Simmonds commands respect league wide. He definitely is a player that other players around the league cheer for. I really think chiarrot was giving him the fight, not because he thought it was the right time for his team, but he knew a guy like Simmonds would step up in the reverse situation. Last night was a good example of how Simmonds earns his respect. He didn't need to fight Benn in that situation. But he gave him the shot. Good stuff all around on that play

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Marchand and Debrusk would shit their pants facing Thornton, Matthews, Simmonds, Hyman, Bogosian and Muzzin in a playoff series without their saviour Chara.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We will see if Vancouver continues to crosscheck us into the boards. Having Simmonds is a sigh of relief for many.

They almost certainly will. It literally makes no difference, and a lot of them live to get into a fight (or have a teammate who will want to and stand in their stead).

They will either run, turtle, or won't care if they have to answer. Either way, none of it stops them from crosschecking guys.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They almost certainly will. It literally makes no difference, and a lot of them live to get into a fight (or have a teammate who will want to and stand in their stead).

They will either run, turtle, or won't care if they have to answer. Either way, none of it stops them from crosschecking guys.
I guess it's open season on their guys then. Good job we have guys like Simmonds willing to do it.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
It's crazy to see how skilled Simmonds is as a fighter. Not only is he tough but he has amazing technique. Those blocks from the left hand of Benn. He is really good at not getting hit and using his reach/strength to put opponent in a BAD position. I haven't seen a technical fighter on the team like this since Colton Orr or Frazer McLaren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad