Speculation: Simmer down (on Sens vets)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Zibanejad was a 6th overall pick of course people thought he could get to this level. Just another lesson that big players take a really long time to develop. People should pay attention to this when evaluating Logan Brown.

That's hindsight though Bert. At the draft table people envisioned it sure. 3 or 4 years into his career the commitment question followed him everywhere. Zvad isnt an issue of a big player taking longer to develop, his case is more about his personal commitment to be his best

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Based on his salary it's very clearly surprising to zbad and his agent.

If he keeps this up he's going to be in a very strong position for his next contract. He gave up some potential for a bit of long term security by taking a 5 year deal instead of a 3 year deal, but he's still going to be young enough to still cash in on his next deal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's hindsight though Bert. At the draft table people envisioned it sure. 3 or 4 years into his career the commitment question followed him everywhere. Zvad isnt an issue of a big player taking longer to develop, his case is more about his personal commitment to be his best

Everyone said at the draft that Zibby was extremely raw, and it would take time for him to develop. It was not about commitment.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Everyone said at the draft that Zibby was extremely raw, and it would take time for him to develop. It was not about commitment.

Except for Bryan Murray who expected Zibby to be a #1 center in his ELC contract and said so in the preseason.

But how stupid is hockey culture that Zibby gets critized for being a DJ and Matt Duchesne gets celebrated for being a wannabe country singer. There’s something culture dominant in that that I don’t like.

Zibby wasn’t handled well and there was way to much pressure on him.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Dorion should be fired immediately, his body or work is an absolute joke. WOAT.

So..hopefully this year he is fired and we start running an NHL organization for the first time in a few years

If you look back 5 years or more, it's still the same story with Murray (RIP). It' all on Melnyk, not his "yes men"!

Last edited:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
NYR properly handled a rebuild
We are f..... for years to come

Fortunately for them, they have a rich owner who I believe isn't a trash human like ours

If we had a good owner, some of EK, Stone and Duchene might still be here and that rebuild could look similar to the Rangers's one.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I do recall there being those that questioned his commitment prior to the trade, but the reality is that Zibanejad saw his production increase each year he played for Ottawa, and the one year where the increase was more modest was followed by him committing to training in Ottawa over the offseason and the GM praising him for being in the best shape of his life.

Lack of commitment to becoming a better player is a hard criticism to shake, particularly when it's coming from the fans who don't actually have any first hand insight to a players level of commitment other than a players instagram posts and tweets.

Anyways, Zibanejad is long gone, he's not one of our vets or one of the kids their blocking, so not sure how he snuck into a thread about Simmer's critiques

We now have 5 centers to ensure that Brown isn't likely to get a shot until a trade or injury, we still have anchors in Boedker, Ennis and Hainsey that Dorion brought in eating up 8 mil in salary who we can only hope that some team will take off our hands come trade deadline, and we're locked in to Zaitsev for 5 seasons, who while I haven't completely hated, isn't worth the contract imo.

The only hope I have is that Belleville can be a good spot for the future kids to develop, but I feel that we've made that a little tougher by shipping off Ebert from what imo is an already shaky group of D, not that the lose of Ebert is a big deal in the grand scheme, but with Wolanin out injured and Brannstrom up, I thought the Belleville D needed help before the trade.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I do recall there being those that questioned his commitment prior to the trade, but the reality is that Zibanejad saw his production increase each year he played for Ottawa, and the one year where the increase was more modest was followed by him committing to training in Ottawa over the offseason and the GM praising him for being in the best shape of his life.

Lack of commitment to becoming a better player is a hard criticism to shake, particularly when it's coming from the fans who don't actually have any first hand insight to a players level of commitment other than a players instagram posts and tweets.

Anyways, Zibanejad is long gone, he's not one of our vets or one of the kids their blocking, so not sure how he snuck into a thread about Simmer's critiques

We now have 5 centers to ensure that Brown isn't likely to get a shot until a trade or injury, we still have anchors in Boedker, Ennis and Hainsey that Dorion brought in eating up 8 mil in salary who we can only hope that some team will take off our hands come trade deadline, and we're locked in to Zaitsev for 5 seasons, who while I haven't completely hated, isn't worth the contract imo.

The only hope I have is that Belleville can be a good spot for the future kids to develop, but I feel that we've made that a little tougher by shipping off Ebert from what imo is an already shaky group of D, not that the lose of Ebert is a big deal in the grand scheme, but with Wolanin out injured and Brannstrom up, I thought the Belleville D needed help before the trade.
Dohrion/.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
We Do Not Want To Be Good This Year!

We desperately need one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Perfetti.

Letting the kids get torched every night, won’t help them develop, and the influx of skill might actually result in us winning games.

Anderson, Pageau, Hainsey, Ennis, Anisimov, Tierney, Namestnikov are going to be sold off at the deadline. That’s when you call up the young guns.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its the same song and dance with you a player leaves you bring them down or downplay how good they are, its like clock work.

He is absolutely a prime example of a big player taking longer to develop. Big players often have consistency issues, which happens when you arent fully developed. Its the perfect example of why people need to be more patient with where current players are at in their development on this team. He scored 46 points as a 21 year old and improved to 51 at 22, but you think this type of production is not fathomable in his prime.... He was always seen as a raw player especially in his draft year.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We Do Not Want To Be Good This Year!

We desperately need one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Perfetti.

Letting the kids get torched every night, won’t help them develop, and the influx of skill might actually result in us winning games.

Anderson, Pageau, Hainsey, Ennis, Anisimov, Tierney, Namestnikov are going to be sold off at the deadline. That’s when you call up the young guns.
We will probably have a good shot at 1OA in 2021 and 2022 too
This team is years from getting out of basement

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
We are tanking and we are doing it with crappy vets rather than young players.

How did that work out for Edmonton when they had their young guys getting crushed every game and year?

The tank is being done the right way and the young guys are winning and developing properly in the A like they should

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We are tanking and we are doing it with crappy vets rather than young players.

How did that work out for Edmonton when they had their young guys getting crushed every game and year?

The tank is being done the right way and the young guys are winning and developing properly in the A like they should
That's yet to be seen. Never made the playoffs on their backs last year, and they do not look very good, especially with losing their best D already, thus far (small sample size of pre-season and a game, I know).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That's yet to be seen. Never made the playoffs on their backs last year, and they do not look very good, especially with losing their best D already, thus far (small sample size of pre-season and a game, I know).

The team in Belleville looks better on paper than they have on the ice so far, but with Batherson and Chlapik going down (though losing Abramov) it should get better.

We do lack a puck mover on the back end though. Wolanin's injury probably has a bigger impact on Belleville than Ottawa, they could really use Brannstrom, or even Goloubef, right about now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The team in Belleville looks better on paper than they have on the ice so far, but with Batherson and Chlapik going down (though losing Abramov) it should get better.

We do lack a puck mover on the back end though. Wolanin's injury probably has a bigger impact on Belleville than Ottawa, they could really use Brannstrom, or even Goloubef, right about now.
I was speaking about Ebert being shipped out, but yeah with Wolanin/Branstromm, Ebert and Goloubef not available, it hurts bigtime.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was speaking about Ebert being shipped out, but yeah with Wolanin/Branstromm, Ebert and Goloubef not available, it hurts bigtime.

Yeah, Ebert being included in the trade took me for surprise. Did the NYR target him or did we decide that was the contract we wanted to include. If it's the latter, that's a mistake imo. We should have moved a forward if at all possible.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah, Ebert being included in the trade took me for surprise. Did the NYR target him or did we decide that was the contract we wanted to include. If it's the latter, that's a mistake imo. We should have moved a forward if at all possible.

Ebert was making $300k at the AHL level, which is a really high salary for that league.

I'll be forgiven for assuming his inclusion in the deal was a $$$ thing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’d imagine he is who we wanted to move. He makes 300k in the AHL plus he has NHL games worked into his contract.

Reactions: Alex1234

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad