Speculation: Simmer down (on Sens vets)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’d imagine he is who we wanted to move. He makes 300k in the AHL plus he has NHL games worked into his contract.
Ebert was making $300k at the AHL level, which is a really high salary for that league.

I'll be forgiven for assuming his inclusion in the deal was a $$$ thing.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that despite my immediate surprise to us taking on a 3.25 mil contract.

So combine that with the 750k retained, and the NYR essentially ate 1 mil of Namestnikov's contract.

Makes you wonder why we bothered signing the guy if we were just going to throw him into a swap like that so that we could save money. Either we needed a vet for the AHL or we didn't. It seems to me the need for him today is greater than it was when we signed him, so score one for lack of forsight by Dorion if it's true that we included him because of cost savings.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Its the same song and dance with you a player leaves you bring them down or downplay how good they are, its like clock work.

He is absolutely a prime example of a big player taking longer to develop. Big players often have consistency issues, which happens when you arent fully developed. Its the perfect example of why people need to be more patient with where current players are at in their development on this team. He scored 46 points as a 21 year old and improved to 51 at 22, but you think this type of production is not fathomable in his prime.... He was always seen as a raw player especially in his draft year.

you know what is really like clock work Bert? well...i'll let the answer to that slide in the interest of being nice and not wishing to reference which hole you are talking out of

he isn't a prime example of a big player taking longer to develop, he is a prime example of a young player that had commitment issues / concerns about him. Or have you not followed the media for years? Do you watch hockey? I presume you were not at the CTC the other night to see the game in person given your oft repeated statement that Melnyk will not get another one of your nickels. So if you weren't there in person, if you were watching the game you would have heard Galley discuss the commitment issues surrounding him. If you want to make it a prime example of something, it is a prime example of what can happen if you throw in the towel early on a young player with lots of potential.

Personally, I am happy he sorted it out. Here are some random thoughts from me on Zibanejad, posted over the years

Can't quote because of closed threads, so I just cut and pasted

"to be really honest with you....Zibanejad was my favourite player and I was pissed off when that trade went down"

"And look at NYR. First year with Zibanejad as a 1C and they miss. I liked Zibanejad but he was a player that always seemed to leave me hanging like he had more to give and just wouldn't give it. I'm not sure I'd want him on the deal he signed for that reason."

"As i said, zbad was my favourite....but up to the point we traded him he was kind of a bring it 30-40 games, mail it it 40-50 games kind of guy. That's risky for us. I am happy he's putting it together"

"Zbad. I was pissed when that trade was announced. But you know....Brassard was part of our most exciting run in 10 years, we beat Zbad's team in the playoffs and this year his team missed the playoffs with him as a 1C"

"to me this trade comes down to we had a young player in Zbad that had a questionable work ethic and 1 year left on his deal."

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's a good point, I hadn't considered that despite my immediate surprise to us taking on a 3.25 mil contract.

So combine that with the 750k retained, and the NYR essentially ate 1 mil of Namestnikov's contract.

Makes you wonder why we bothered signing the guy if we were just going to throw him into a swap like that so that we could save money. Either we needed a vet for the AHL or we didn't. It seems to me the need for him today is greater than it was when we signed him, so score one for lack of forsight by Dorion if it's true that we included him because of cost savings.

That's the big problem (aside from the elephant in the room). It definitely feels like Dorion has no plan, and is just doing things half-randomly. If we're going to get some veterans for the AHL to insulate the kids, I would think the best place for them is on defense. Seems weird to let Ebert go so quickly....unless they guy asked for a trade (seems odd, but you never know). It really doesn't make sense.

Whether it's here or Belleville, the key is setting up the kids for the best development path possible. At this point, I'm not entirely sure we're doing that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Wait this guy is on TV no? Gosh what an extremely stupid comment, maybe if it was just random fan it would pass but coming from somebody who makes a living out of this it's extremely Pejorative Slured.

Oh yeah, so get rid of those vets, don't reach the salary cap and throw as many prospects as possible into the wolves, the Edmonton way. Genius I tell you.

Man this rebuild is already hilarious.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We Do Not Want To Be Good This Year!

We desperately need one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Perfetti.

Letting the kids get torched every night, won’t help them develop, and the influx of skill might actually result in us winning games.

Anderson, Pageau, Hainsey, Ennis, Anisimov, Tierney, Namestnikov are going to be sold off at the deadline. That’s when you call up the young guns.

So instead of having the kids get torched right now, we'll get them torched after the deadline once the competition gets tougher?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So instead of having the kids get torched right now, we'll get them torched after the deadline once the competition gets tougher?

We'll be at the bottom of the standings, no one will be taking us seriously and taking off games against us.

This is how you tank. You make sure you suck.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I expect that by the time the trade deadline rolls around Ottawa should have gotten rid of most if not all of their UFAs plus maybe another one or two players. Anderson needs to go this yr & Hogberg can finish the yr with Nilsson so we can determine what kind of a goalie does Ottawa have in Nilsson, personally, I don't think he's a starter but a good backup. Obviously not all of these guys below will get traded, but I'm hoping that maybe 8 to 10 do.

UFAs - Anderson, Boro, Hainsey, DeMello, Pageau, Ennis, Boedker, Sabourin, Namestnikov, Goloubef, Szwarz

Could also be traded - Tierny, Duclair, Nilsson, Balcers, Klimchuk, Carcone, Rodewald, Beaudin, Sturtz, Paul, Englund

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Presumably the players have adjusted to minor pro hockey and are prepared to make a move to the NHL at that point.

We cant trade the entire team as we still need to have a full squad in Belleville so I wouldn't worry about too many prospects coming in to play.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you know what is really like clock work Bert? well...i'll let the answer to that slide in the interest of being nice and not wishing to reference which hole you are talking out of

he isn't a prime example of a big player taking longer to develop, he is a prime example of a young player that had commitment issues / concerns about him. Or have you not followed the media for years? Do you watch hockey? I presume you were not at the CTC the other night to see the game in person given your oft repeated statement that Melnyk will not get another one of your nickels. So if you weren't there in person, if you were watching the game you would have heard Galley discuss the commitment issues surrounding him. If you want to make it a prime example of something, it is a prime example of what can happen if you throw in the towel early on a young player with lots of potential.

Personally, I am happy he sorted it out. Here are some random thoughts from me on Zibanejad, posted over the years

Can't quote because of closed threads, so I just cut and pasted

"to be really honest with you....Zibanejad was my favourite player and I was pissed off when that trade went down"

"And look at NYR. First year with Zibanejad as a 1C and they miss. I liked Zibanejad but he was a player that always seemed to leave me hanging like he had more to give and just wouldn't give it. I'm not sure I'd want him on the deal he signed for that reason."

"As i said, zbad was my favourite....but up to the point we traded him he was kind of a bring it 30-40 games, mail it it 40-50 games kind of guy. That's risky for us. I am happy he's putting it together"

"Zbad. I was pissed when that trade was announced. But you know....Brassard was part of our most exciting run in 10 years, we beat Zbad's team in the playoffs and this year his team missed the playoffs with him as a 1C"

"to me this trade comes down to we had a young player in Zbad that had a questionable work ethic and 1 year left on his deal."
Just couldnt control yourself eh. Had to get personal when someone accurately identifies your consistent tendencies in your posts. No thought out rebutal just straight to the name calling.

The bolded portion is interesting, you say I am wrong in saying that big players take longer to develop. But then say the team gave up on the player too early.... Commitment issues and consistency issues can be the same thing.... Its just how one person decides to portray it. They run hand in hand bigger players physical and mental development curves are longer because they are directly tied to one another.

If your posts or opinions were accurate you may have some clout. But you didnt do anything in this post but provide insults and quote yourself.

Fan shaming me for not wanting to support this guy https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/nhl-must-step-in-to-stop-shady-senators-owner-eugene-melnyk/....... The Worst Sports Franchise Owner in North America Is in Ottawa financially really is the icing on the cake though.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't think anybody who follows the Sens/NHL closely enough would "support" Eugene Melnyk... If someone says Melnyk doesn't think 2+2=4, I would probably call him out for spewing crap, but that doesn't mean I don't dislike Melnyk heavily (my "hate" is reserved for worse people than that, and yes there is plenty on this planet)

However I haven't read the board much in a while so I have missed a lot, but didn't see any clear confession that somebody was supporting Melnyk.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I expect that by the time the trade deadline rolls around Ottawa should have gotten rid of most if not all of their UFAs plus maybe another one or two players. Anderson needs to go this yr & Hogberg can finish the yr with Nilsson so we can determine what kind of a goalie does Ottawa have in Nilsson, personally, I don't think he's a starter but a good backup. Obviously not all of these guys below will get traded, but I'm hoping that maybe 8 to 10 do.

UFAs - Anderson, Boro, Hainsey, DeMello, Pageau, Ennis, Boedker, Sabourin, Namestnikov, Goloubef, Szwarz

Could also be traded - Tierny, Duclair, Nilsson, Balcers, Klimchuk, Carcone, Rodewald, Beaudin, Sturtz, Paul, Englund

Yes to all but not Duclair.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Just couldnt control yourself eh. Had to get personal when someone accurately identifies your consistent tendencies in your posts. No thought out rebutal just straight to the name calling.

The bolded portion is interesting, you say I am wrong in saying that big players take longer to develop. But then say the team gave up on the player too early.... Commitment issues and consistency issues can be the same thing.... Its just how one person decides to portray it. They run hand in hand bigger players physical and mental development curves are longer because they are directly tied to one another.

If your posts or opinions were accurate you may have some clout. But you didnt do anything in this post but provide insults and quote yourself.

Fan shaming me for not wanting to support this guy https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/nhl-must-step-in-to-stop-shady-senators-owner-eugene-melnyk/....... The Worst Sports Franchise Owner in North America Is in Ottawa financially really is the icing on the cake though.

Bert I'm so used to you going the insult route I thought I'd get ahead of the game here. And let's get real....its you that gets frequently called out for it, not me.

You dont read well Bert. I didn't say big players dont take longer to develop. I said that wasn't the issue with Zbad, it was commitment.

I also wasn't fan shaming you. Dont be so sensitive. I know you weren't at the game because you've made it clear you won't attend so if you saw it,you saw it on TV in which case you heard Galley talk AT LENGTH about the commitment issues with this player in his younger years. Those issues are well documented. He's not a fine example of a big player taking longer to develop which is quite different than me saying that big players don't take longer to develop.

I have no issues Bert with guys criticizing my posts. It's all good. It's a message board. But you...you have a bad habit of making up what I said and criticizing that which you did yet again with this post.

Again...for the record I really like the player, always have and I am happy things are working out for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad