Injury Report: Simek

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Well, i think he will help. We need more physical players and that's what he is - generally we are
a pretty soft team in my opinion. While more physical play will help, not sure it would make the difference between being 4-7-1 and being 7-4-1.
I feel like he is the only player to play the body on defense with any regularity, everyone else just stick or poke checks and then watches as their man gets by or the puck bounces to a teammate.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I feel like he is the only player to play the body on defense with any regularity, everyone else just stick or poke checks and then watches as their man gets by or the puck bounces to a teammate.
In my mind, it's Ferraro, Dillon, and Simek who are the guys willing to go hard into the corners to win the one on one puck battles. Burns can do it too but not exactly what he should be doing and Karlsson and Vlasic are either not as physical or not as willing.

Reactions: LeftHeartInSF

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
In my mind, it's Ferraro, Dillon, and Simek who are the guys willing to go hard into the corners to win the one on one puck battles. Burns can do it too but not exactly what he should be doing and Karlsson and Vlasic are either not as physical or not as willing.
Ferraro had quite a bit of edge last night when the game got chippy. I really liked seeing that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ferraro had quite a bit of edge last night when the game got chippy. I really liked seeing that.

Yeah Ferraro has given them no reason to not play him every game. At this point, it's whether Simek gives the team a reason to keep Dillon around over him. At the end of the day, it comes down to Dillon and Simek for that spot.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah Ferraro has given them no reason to not play him every game. At this point, it's whether Simek gives the team a reason to keep Dillon around over him. At the end of the day, it comes down to Dillon and Simek for that spot.
Honestly, the lack of effort from Vlasic makes me want to move on from him rather than Dillon. Moving on from Vlasic is probably the wrong move, and likely impossible move, but it's disappointing because of how good he used to be compared to what he is currently. However, it's pretty clear that Vlasic is starting to shy away from the physical stuff that you need to win one on ones. Like in the last couple of years, it was always Braun getting beat up in the corners while Vlasic was supposedly keeping watch elsewhere.

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
It's not that Simek will correct the ship, but the team has looked soft. Last year Braun was a big physical force on the ice (along with Dillon, Kane, and Goodrow) and that is one of the things that seems to be missing on the back end. Simek and maybe a few more butt checks from Burnzie would go a long way on setting the tone physically.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Honestly, the lack of effort from Vlasic makes me want to move on from him rather than Dillon. Moving on from Vlasic is probably the wrong move, and likely impossible move, but it's disappointing because of how good he used to be compared to what he is currently. However, it's pretty clear that Vlasic is starting to shy away from the physical stuff that you need to win one on ones. Like in the last couple of years, it was always Braun getting beat up in the corners while Vlasic was supposedly keeping watch elsewhere.
I just watched last night's game again because I'm apparently a masochist, but I thought Vlasic actually had a pretty good game. He's always been a stick-and-position defender, and he did exactly that. He was tough where he needed to be, and did a really good job of directing the play to the outside. He only looked bad where the rest of the team did, trying to move the puck up from the top of the defensive circles to the opposing blueline. I think he's starting to settle in and get a sense of where Burns and Karlsson are each going to be, but he still doesn't have the poise Ferraro seems to with the puck.

As far as Dillon vs. Vlasic, I'd probably still lean toward trading Dillon if we had to pick one, if only because the return would likely be better without the NMC and cap hit. Simek would also give you more of what Dillon provides than he would be a Vlasic replacement (though, again, we hopefully have Ferraro for that).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I choose to play down the possibility of Vlasic being traded because I think those odds are just a shade over 0%. I tend not to take those conversations very seriously based on the history of DW. So either DW has to do something he doesn't do or Hasso has to can DW before I would increase the seriousness in which I discuss that possibility. I'd trade Vlasic if he requested it and just be accepting of whatever the return would be regardless of value even if it likely makes the team worse. But even with Vlasic's declined state, the team isn't going to get better moving him on its own. It's going to depend on what they do following that to replace him. There is still a significant role that he vacates when moved.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston

He just wants to score goals. Lets make Vlasic a winger and be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad