Injury Report: Simek

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
If the Sharks lose this series I think the biggest loss is not EK65 being hurt, it's losing Simek prior to the playoffs. Sharks were winning without EK65 but they also had Simek. I think the Sharks will still be Cup contenders again next season and probally for the next 3-5 years atleast. Their Cup Window is not as short as people would like to believe.
oh it's karlsson being hurt, but simek was another huge loss. we were so damn good with both of them healthy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Sharks lose this series I think the biggest loss is not EK65 being hurt, it's losing Simek prior to the playoffs. Sharks were winning without EK65 but they also had Simek. I think the Sharks will still be Cup contenders again next season and probally for the next 3-5 years atleast. Their Cup Window is not as short as people would like to believe.

The biggest loss to them right now for this series and playoff run is Erik Karlsson. They got this far without Simek. This team simply cannot handle both being out and it would be the same if it was Braun, Burns, or Vlasic being out instead. Note the drastic shift in game play when Vlasic was out for games 3 and 4 against Vegas. I don't necessarily disagree that Simek is important and I think they were something like 29-9-3 with Simek in the lineup but his initial insertion into the lineup coincided with the coaching responsibility swaps. They were also like 12-3-1 when Simek was in the lineup but Karlsson was out. Simek being out definitely hurt the blue line depth but so does Karlsson's absence. The team was finding their way with Karlsson before Simek started playing and before the coaches swapping responsibilities. I think multiple things can be true at the same time when it comes to this sort of thing. If Simek is in the lineup with Burns, it would allow Vlasic to be paired with Karlsson to better improve our GF% when he's out since Dillon is not covering for him anymore and also maybe do more of a true shutdown pairing with Braun when the situation calls for it.

The team needs all of at least Burns, Karlsson, Vlasic, Braun, and Simek to optimize their capabilities especially when matching up is more of a focus. They've been just getting by with what they have without Simek. They look absolutely terrible when one of what is left is out. I don't expect that to change.

Reactions: Phu and Sandisfan

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Good news. I'd be interested to see if he's skating by him self or with the team. I suspect the former.
I'd speculate that he's 4-6 weeks behind the team in being ready to pay, he may start the season
on IR, once back i'd expect a conditioning stint with the cuda till he's ready to play.
He's in orange jersey.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If Ferraro ends up doing well, that could potential lead us to putting Dillon on the block no?
That's probably the best case scenario since you have to hope that Simek steps in and picks up from where he left off. A package of Dillon, Gambrell, + whatever could land us a decent top 6 forward.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Ferraro ends up doing well, that could potential lead us to putting Dillon on the block no?

I think that’s very unlikely. What if any of Simek, Vlasic, or Ferraro gets hurt? What if Ferraro goes through any sort of lull in his rookie year? Do you want Middleton on the ice in a playoff game for any amount of minutes?

Reactions: SjMilhouse and Phu

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think that’s very unlikely. What if any of Simek, Vlasic, or Ferraro gets hurt? What if Ferraro goes through any sort of lull in his rookie year? Do you want Middleton on the ice in a playoff game for any amount of minutes?
Not much better but I think Prout is a leftie.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Not much better but I think Prout is a leftie.
No, he is right handed.

That said, if you want to upgrade other things, you are going to have to take some risks, or make sacrifices elsewhere. Dillon is a reasonable risk to take, in terms of sending him out, because you have 3 guys who might (we will know more in a few weeks but never be 100% sure) work out, and if it utterly fails, you are not throwing away significant long term prospects.

You are taking a risk that if it fails, only fails this year, and doesn't leave you in a particularly bad spot anyways, as it is improving one weakness on forwards and creating a new one on d, so it could just end up a wash.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

BgAgVPL.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You trade a late round draft pick for a spare lefty. If Dillon gets you an impact player up front, you trade with the Kings to get Joakim Ryan back for like a 5th if they're out of it or something similar.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Breaking news: The San Jose Sharks have traded Alexander Chmelevski and a 3rd round pick to the Ottawa Senators for Dylan DeMelo.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->