TV: Silicon Valley Pt 2

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Lots of call backs to previous season this year like the sweater Jared was wearing is the same that Monica wore in season 1 or 2.

800.jpg

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
That's not the same sweater. She DID wear it last season when she came to tell them she didn't like the beta.

Why would Jared have Monica's sweater?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
No dip in quality whatsoever that I've noticed, which is very promising for a show in its 4th season.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle no Erlich though. On the plus-side, he's unique in the fact that I don't think he ruins the group dynamic by leaving. He's a great character, but a lot of the humor is just him on his own as kind of a lone wolf, not necessarily needing to riff off of the other 4 main guys, whereas the other 4 go back-and-forth with each other quite a bit more. Losing even one of them would most likely affect the others negatively.

Jian Yang is the one big exception. I'm sure his character will suffer greatly due to no Erlich.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
That's not the same sweater. She DID wear it last season when she came to tell them she didn't like the beta.

Why would Jared have Monica's sweater?

Haven't they sort of played up the fact that Jared is a secretly amazing with the ladies in the sack? I thought the implication was that Jared and Monica have been at it.

This guy ****s.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I'm guessing the guy from the sixth sense takes over for TJ Miller (who's leaving the show after this season).

They made them have similar-ish personalities, and have similar style. In this past episode, there were some scenes where the two of them were mimicking each others body language and mannerisms.

Or maybe this is all common knowledge and I'm late to the game.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I'm guessing the guy from the sixth sense takes over for TJ Miller (who's leaving the show after this season).

They made them have similar-ish personalities, and have similar style. In this past episode, there were some scenes where the two of them were mimicking each others body language and mannerisms.

Or maybe this is all common knowledge and I'm late to the game.

There's definitely some similarities, but there's also some massive differences. Most notably, Feldsbar knows how much a fraud and luck magnet he is with his business ventures, while Erlich thinks he's actually that good at what he does. Considering how much of Erlich's humor rests on the fact that he thinks he's awesome when he's actually really bad at what he does, I'm not sure that's a realistic replacement, at least in the same way that Laurie was a replacement for Gregory.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
There's definitely some similarities, but there's also some massive differences. Most notably, Feldsbar knows how much a fraud and luck magnet he is with his business ventures, while Erlich thinks he's actually that good at what he does. Considering how much of Erlich's humor rests on the fact that he thinks he's awesome when he's actually really bad at what he does, I'm not sure that's a realistic replacement, at least in the same way that Laurie was a replacement for Gregory.

I just meant replace Erlich as the guy running the incubator. They made him similar in many ways, but with a few key differences so as to change things up a bit.

Was a pretty good idea overall.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
TJ MIller has a stand up act premier on HBO tonight.

.... mmmm I couldn't get through it but you guys might like it.

It is awful. It's like getting a band's demo tape for a song you love where it's missing all of the guitar parts. In this case, HBO released this demo before any of the comedy had been recorded.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
After tonight's episode it's pretty obvious this show won't last past season 5, even if Backaman had stayed. It was a great run, however.

Unrelated, earlier in this thread there was discussion how there were no unlikable characters on this show. I didn't chime in then, but it's clear Richard is that guy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
After tonight's episode it's pretty obvious this show won't last past season 5, even if Backaman had stayed. It was a great run, however.

I think I'm okay with that. There's only so many times I can see them get in some sort of ownership quandary only to have Richard end up in control again or face an existential/funding crisis only to be bailed out by a deus ex machina. The show is still hilarious on most episodes, but the constant cycle of one or two week long crises gets old.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Was the security guy (I don't know his name) letting them go through with it a response to the criticism that they always lose? That twist felt so out of the blue.

I still like this show over Veep (I might be done with Veep after this season) but who in their right mind would want to work with a self centered egotist like Richard. He's constantly doing this crap, putting his own interests over others and he's a terrible manager. Jared trying not to go ******* on his ass was on point and hilarious. I would have loved to see him explode though, sparks flying and all.

I was hoping this episode would have been better considering the cool set up from last week but other than a few moments and realizing just how unlikable Richard is (And yes I know it's been like this all series but he might have crossed that line tonight), this episode was just there. For the penultimate episode of the season to be just there, that's concerning.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Was the security guy (I don't know his name) letting them go through with it a response to the criticism that they always lose? That twist felt so out of the blue.

I still like this show over Veep (I might be done with Veep after this season) but who in their right mind would want to work with a self centered egotist like Richard. He's constantly doing this crap, putting his own interests over others and he's a terrible manager. Jared trying not to go ******* on his ass was on point and hilarious. I would have loved to see him explode though, sparks flying and all.

I was hoping this episode would have been better considering the cool set up from last week but other than a few moments and realizing just how unlikable Richard is (And yes I know it's been like this all series but he might have crossed that line tonight), this episode was just there. For the penultimate episode of the season to be just there, that's concerning.

The security guy has an unhealthy love of Gavin and hates Barker for pushing Gavin out.

Because Richard wrote that nice article about Gavin he decided to help them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad