News Article: Sid wins the Lindsay as NHLPA MVP

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If Sid had the same stats but missed the first 12 games instead of the last 12 games, there's no doubt in my mind he'd have won the Hart.

exactly. And if Ovechkin had the same stats, but disappeared for the second half of the season rather than the first half, he wouldn't have even been in the top-5

member 51464

So maybe the NHL should go back to voting first half/second half to minimize things like this?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
So maybe the NHL should go back to voting first half/second half to minimize things like this?

Nah, I just think they need to be more selective with the voting or limit the number of members who vote per market.

Local reporters are biased. I think I remember Shelly putting Letang at #1 for the Norris when she posted her ballot. These local reporters are essentially fans who get paid to write about the team.

Or just have the GMs vote for every award.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it's funny how one award changes things. Crosby has been considered the best in the world and I still think he is. But Ovechkin won the Hart so Ovechkin>>>>>>>>Crosby :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think it's funny how one award changes things. Crosby has been considered the best in the world and I still think he is. But Ovechkin won the Hart so Ovechkin>>>>>>>>Crosby :laugh:

I used to think that people at HF were either stupid or just plain hated so much that it blinded them to reality. Now I am convinced it is both.

Crosby has been the best player in the world now for at least the past few years. That an award voting on by people like Rossi, Steigy, Cherry, the guy who wanted Cooke to look at his dick, and on and on has gone other than to the best player in the world too often says more about the quality of the voters than the quality of the player. I doubt you could count on one hand the quality hockey media personalities in the game today.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
but honestly, why do Pens fans have to bring up Crosby/Malkin in the OV hardware thread. either they're stupid or masochists - things don't turn out well when you do that. anyways there's still hopefully ten or more years of hockey to be played - the story is far from over.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

What makes it even funnier is the fact the only reason Sid didn't win it was because he didn't play enough games. That seems to be the most common excuse I've seen given for those who didn't vote for Sid.

So even a lot of those who voted for Ovechkin thought Sid was the Hart winner this year, had he not missed 12 games due to injury.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
but honestly, why do Pens fans have to bring up Crosby/Malkin in the OV hardware thread. either they're stupid or masochists - things don't turn out well when you do that. anyways there's still hopefully ten or more years of hockey to be played - the story is far from over.

and to expand on this a bit more how about some Cone Smythe trophies, wish Sid had better shots at those, could care less about the others.....

Florentino Ariza

Sep 21, 2009
Washington DC
I'm with Cole on this one, I really don't care about individual trophies..for me they are all as meaningless as the Lady Byng trophy. Individual awards are meaningless because they are voted on by people, and while the Lindsay probably means a little more because it is voted on by the people who actually know what they are talking about, I still don't think I've ever talked about trophies when making the case for a player's place in the game. I have no which nunmber of awards any player has won, really, until someone writes about it on here...

I rely on Stanley Cups and my own two eyes for evaluating players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad