News Article: Sid wins the Lindsay as NHLPA MVP

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Really starting not to care about any award based on media voting. The state of hockey media is so pathetic in this country (and even parts of Canada) that it's hard to think it means anything, whether your guy wins or not. Much prefer awards voted on by players and coaches and GMs.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
in case you were wondering what Dobber thought:

Ovechkin won the Hart, while Crosby won the Lindsay - which result makes more sense to you? I'm going to go with the latter, and by a long shot. Interesting and unsurprising how the writers arbitrarily penalized Crosby for missing time, while the players had no trouble identifying the league's best player this past season... Anyway, I really think it's time to take the awards votes out of the writers hands, it's crystal clear that too many don't care enough or don't understand the game well enough to cast knowledgable votes. To their credit they nailed Subban as the clear cut Norris winner, but still, Ovechkin won the Hart, Toews won the Selke, and Brodin wasn't even nominated for the Calder. That's kind of embarrassing.

http://hockey.dobbersports.com/inde...=5638:june-16-2013&catid=24:rambling&Itemid=1

actually Thomas Drance writing for DobberHockey.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Pretty much agree with the gist of that article. Tons of group-think going on in media circles when it comes to voting for certain guys. Basically a self-fulfilling prophecy. They report on and tie in with the marketing buzz for a handful of guys every year (who they expect to win from the start) and when injuries, trades and other stuff interfere, they just pick the best default candidate remaining instead of really thinking it through and examining the season each guy had.

Also the definition is too vague. That part is the league's fault. They need to spell it out. Simplified example: "the player whose team most relies on him to generate wins, and without whom the team's record would be very different". In which case it could easily be a goalie too.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
It is comical hearing at HF how the media favor Crosby. The best player of his generation by far is going to end up with the less hardware than a lot of hacks who could not hold his jock strap.

fun fact about the media loving the Pens:

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 1h
Correction: Art Ross winner has won 21 of past 36 Harts: Of 15 who haven't, 8 were Pens. (Lemieux in '89, '92, '97, Jagr 4 times, Malkin '09)

https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/346292385472471040

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also the definition is too vague. That part is the league's fault. They need to spell it out. Simplified example: "the player whose team most relies on him to generate wins, and without whom the team's record would be very different". In which case it could easily be a goalie too.

The problem with the definition is the interpretation of it becomes "player who helps a crappy team barely make the playoffs". What I mean by that is, folks focus more on a 7th or 8th place team who would have finished 10th without Player X. Yet, they ignore the 1st place team who would have finished 4th or 5th without Player Y.

The definition of the award still applies to Player Y, because he was instrumental in his team finishing 4 or 5 spots higher than they would have without him. The problem stems from folks narrowing that definition to only include whether the team makes the playoffs or not without the player.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
The bigger farce is that the Pens had the best player, best GM, extended their coach, yet were swept in the ECF. Something doesn't add up there, I wonder which one!

member 51464

played too many games. over the eligibility limit by one or two games if memory serves.

Really? I remember him being close but I could have swore he sat the last game or two of the regular season to make the cut. I'll go poke around and see. That was going to be my one bright spot of next year to take my mind of the Fleury/Bylsma debacle that is awaiting us :laugh:

edit: Damn, looks like you are both right and he ended up with one too many. Dammit Bylsma!

bigdogdeebs

Apr 14, 2012
Really? I remember him being close but I could have swore he sat the last game or two of the regular season to make the cut. I'll go poke around and see. That was going to be my one bright spot of next year to take my mind of the Fleury/Bylsma debacle that is awaiting us :laugh:

edit: Damn, looks like you are both right and he ended up with one too many. Dammit Bylsma!

You thought DB has a method to benching rookies that are better than at least 4 starting players?

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
The criteria for each award is different, though. Most valuable player =! most outstanding player.

Crosby deserved both, but missing 12 games hurts your chances a lot more in an award where you are measured on pure value to your team.

It's like playing Tomb Raider. You want the trophy but then there's Laura Croft's bum.

member 51464

You thought DB has a method to benching rookies that are better than at least 4 starting players?

:laugh: I mean. If he is going to dick the team over, he should at least do it in a way that is most beneficial to getting less meaningfunl, non-Stanley Cup-like trophies.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
in 1989, lemieux outscored gretzky by 31 points (all of which were goals... and in less games played). he also set an nhl record (that still stands) for the percentage of team goals he factored in on. gretzky was deemed "more valuable" by the media that year. steve yzerman was deemed "more outstanding" by his peers. these subjective awards mean ****...

I only came here to post this. That record by Lemieux might never be broken. This is why when people reel off: "the definition of Most Valuable Player is... ", I laugh at them. The "definition" that actually determines the winner changes every year.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's not even that. The media didn't vote for Ovechkin as the best player, they're just hanging their hat on the whole "It's value to their team!!!" thing. Crosby was hurt and therefore brought no "value" to the team for a quarter of the season. I don't really buy it, but that's how the media saw it. Hope the NHL is happy with it's most prestigious individual award being given to a lesser player because of the inane definition.

Strange thing about this to me is that they punish Sid for missing a quarter of a season with a broken jaw and absolve Ovechkin for missing a quarter of the season with laziness.

If Toews, Kane or Tavares had won the award, I'd have had less of a problem with that.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Strange thing about this to me is that they punish Sid for missing a quarter of a season with a broken jaw and absolve Ovechkin for missing a quarter of the season with laziness.

If Toews, Kane or Tavares had won the award, I'd have had less of a problem with that.

If Sid had the same stats but missed the first 12 games instead of the last 12 games, there's no doubt in my mind he'd have won the Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad