Sick of Ovechkin-bashing on commentary

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We get it Greg Millen.

CRosby is Canadian and ovechkin isn't.

He just said ovechkin has got to be the difference because Crosby is.

All ovechkin does is try and help his team win did he not watch game one? He even helped the caps answer tonight.

When the caps were eliminated the last two years in overtime to the rangers and pens did you know where ovechkin was? The bench.

It's pretty hard to stop your season ending from the bench.

Ovechkin has a perfectly acceptable ppg in the playoffs.

His teammates disappear!

Why isn't vezina holtby called in to question for allowing soft goals on barely any shots.

How about shattenkirk for doing nothing and being in the ice for every pens goal.

What about the lack of burakovsky, oshie, backstrom??

Where are those guys?

Ovechkin gives his all. I can't even explain how mad Greg millen is making me I put it in mute for he first time in years.

We all know it is not all Ovechkins fault that the capitals have failed and massively underachieved in the postseason. We can debate just how much of the blame lies with him and he most certainly is not the biggest culprit.

However, when you are considered a "generational" star, one of the biggest stars in the league for over a decade now and the face of the franchise and you can't get past the 2nd round in your career on a team that has been a multiple presidents trophy winner, you are going to get bashed.

I don't care where the player has his passport and grew up, the player is gonna get it both barrels.................that's just a fact. If Crosby was in his position he would be getting it the same. But he isn't because he has 2 Stanley Cups, a Conn Smythe, the Golden Goal, 2 olympic golds, etc.

You know it and I know it.

Can you imagine Wayne Gretzky with all his records and domination of the game and the teams he played on never getting past the 2nd round in his playing career? He would have caught flak to no end and still be considered as the greatest scorer of all time who couldn't get it done where it mattered most.

Ovechkin wins a cup, it ends immediately. Don't play the nationality card, we all know that isn't true.

Last edited:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Ok guys, seriously, stop drinking. It's exactly the other way around, if you ask me... Nobody gets as much as Heat as Ovechkin, no matter how well he plays. Now I am no Russian, but sometimes it is easy to see a slight anti-Russian bias, e.g. the whole fiasco about Malkin not making in Top-100 list while Toews did... :shakehead

Are you kidding me? Look at how the media was rushing to destroy Crosby about the few previous playoffs prior to last year. Look at what was being said about him prior to the coaching change last year.

Ovechkin is a sub point per game player with a giant contract and on his way to being booted out of the second round as a top seed yet again. Look at him chasing around Kadri all of round one while chipping in 3 points in 6 games. Crosby would be destroyed for that.

The Capitals are pretenders and he is the poster boy.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Isn't that hilarious? Ovi is a bum, Weber is the ultimate leader. Ovie career PPG in the playoffs. Weber mediocre in the playoffs.

When has Weber ever been considered one of the best players ever and playing on top seed teams every year?

I will wait.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
His Caps teams(not just Ovi) have always been very talented, lazy, selfish, quick to celly, and quick to quit. The common denominator, through many different supporting players and many different coaches, is Ovi.

His locker room has always looked to him for what Capitals Hockey is all about and Ovi is very talented, lazy, selfish, quick to celly, and quick to quit.

It's past obvious at this point, and I don't care where he's from.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
His Caps teams(not just Ovi) have always been very talented, lazy, selfish, quick to celly, and quick to quit. The common denominator, through many different supporting players and many different coaches, is Ovi.

His locker room has always looked to him for what Capitals Hockey is all about and Ovi is very talented, lazy, selfish, quick to celly, and quick to quit.

It's past obvious at this point, and I don't care where he's from.

Ovechkin is criticizable for the Caps' lack of success in the postseason in the past decade, but please don't accuse him of not coming up big against the Penguins.

2009 : Ovechkin 14 points to Crosby's 13 and Malkin's
2016 : 7 points to Crosby's and Malkin's 2
2017 : 3 points so far

That's 24 points in 15 postseason games against the Penguins. That's better than the other 2 generational players he has faced.

What more can he do? Turn into Gretzky and average 3 points a night?

It's ridiculous how overall the Caps cannot elevate their game in the playoffs and how their goaltender, whomever they've had between the pipes, has been unable to outduel anyone on the other side of the rink.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ovechkin is criticizable for the Caps' lack of success in the postseason in the past decade, but please don't accuse him of not coming up big against the Penguins.

That's 24 points in 15 postseason games against the Penguins. That's better than the other 2 generational players he has faced.

It's ridiculous how overall the Caps cannot elevate their game in the playoffs and how their goaltender, whomever they've had between the pipes, has been unable to outduel anyone on the other side of the rink.

Yeah, he's been the Caps best player every time he's played the Pens in the playoffs. And in 2009 and 2016, he was the best player on the ice. He is the last guy to blame for the Caps playoff struggles against the Pens.

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
Ovechkin is not the problem in Washington. I don't particularly care for his overall game, but there is no reason a team cannot win with him on it. I don't know what is in the water in Washington, but Ovechkin is not the problem.

And hey this series, hell this game is not even over. Pens have looked average this game and caps have dominated most of the play. The only reason the Pens are winning is because of Fleury.

Even Trump couldn't make the Capitals great again.

Sorry if that's too political, but couldn't resist :laugh:.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
PLAYERS WHO SCORED LARGEST PERCENTAGE OF THEIR TEAMS' PLAYOFF GOALS (1918-2016) - minimum 50 games played

Player | Games | Goals | Team Goals | Percentage
Cam Neely* | 93 | 57 | 282 | 20.2%
Alex Ovechkin | 84 | 41 | 204 | 20.1%
Gordie Drillon* | 50 | 26 | 130 | 20%
Mario Lemieux* | 107 | 76 | 391 | 19.4%
Bobby Hull* | 119 | 62 | 332 | 18.7%
Maurice Richard* | 133 | 82 | 442 | 18.6%
Jarome Iginla | 81 | 37 | 205 | 18%
Pavel Bure* | 64 | 35 | 205 | 17.1%
Daniel Alfredsson | 124 | 51 | 304 | 16.8%
Joe Sakic* | 172 | 84 | 503 | 16.7%
Mike Bossy* | 129 | 85 | 530 | 16%
Brett Hull* | 202 | 103 | 647 | 15.9%
Rick Vaive | 54 | 27 | 171 | 15.8%
Ted Kennedy* | 78 | 29 | 185 | 15.7%
Rod Gilbert* | 79 | 34 | 224 | 15.2%
Martin St. Louis | 107 | 42 | 277 | 15.2%
Gordie Howe* | 157 | 68 | 452 | 15%
Marian Gaborik | 84 | 32 | 214 | 15%
Andy Bathgate* | 54 | 21 | 141 | 14.9%
Bernie Geoffrion* | 132 | 58 | 391 | 14.8%

PLAYERS WHO SCORED OR ASSISTED ON LARGEST PERCENTAGE OF THEIR TEAMS' PLAYOFF GOALS (1918-2016) - minimum 50 games played

Player | Games | Points | Team Goals | Percentage
Wayne Gretzky* | 208 | 382 | 856 | 44.6%
Mario Lemieux* | 107 | 172 | 391 | 44%
Alex Ovechkin | 84 | 82 | 204 | 40.2%
Bobby Hull* | 119 | 129 | 332 | 38.9%
Joe Sakic* | 172 | 188 | 503 | 37.4%
Bernie Federko* | 91 | 101 | 280 | 36.1%
Sidney Crosby | 124 | 137 | 383 | 35.8%
Gilbert Perreault* | 90 | 103 | 288 | 35.8%
Gordie Howe* | 157 | 160 | 452 | 35.4%
Darryl Sittler* | 76 | 74 | 210 | 35.2%
Peter Stastny* | 93 | 105 | 299 | 35.1%
Adam Oates* | 163 | 156 | 445 | 35.1%
Doug Gilmour* | 182 | 188 | 542 | 34.7%
Peter Forsberg* | 151 | 171 | 493 | 34.7%
Stan Mikita* | 155 | 150 | 435 | 34.5%
Pavel Bure* | 64 | 70 | 205 | 34.1%
Brian Leetch* | 95 | 97 | 287 | 33.8%
Claude Giroux | 63 | 62 | 184 | 33.7%
Evgeni Malkin | 124 | 129 | 383 | 33.7%
Max Bentley* | 51 | 45 | 134 | 33.6%

The data above is through the 2016 playoffs. Updating it for 2017 (for Ovechkin only, through last night's game), he falls to 3rd place on the goal-scoring list, and moves into a tie for 3rd on the overall list (rather than having sole possession).

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Ovie will always get bashed by Canadian media because his name isn't Kevin Smith from Alberta. Xenophobia is actually OK in hockey.

Or you know if he actually won something.

The "Canadian media" bashes Canadian players too. Dion Phaneuf got ran out of Toronto. Subban out of Montreal. And on. And on.

Win and it doesnt matter where you are from.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
As an individual he has performed excellent in the playoffs. Just unfortunate at least one of the teams hasn't been able to put it together. I think if he played center, he could drive a line even more (maybe would of had more impact that way).

Feel bad for the guy.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I doubt you understand hockey if you're riding him for being the third man back on a 2-on-3.

Even when the two in question are the best player in the world & a proven sniper? It's also about setting a tone & leading your team. Ovechkin was floating & puck watching Crosby....

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

The "Canadian media" bashes Canadian players too. Dion Phaneuf got ran out of Toronto. Subban out of Montreal. And on. And on.

There was a bias against Europeans and there still is among the 'old guard' (which is dying off bit by bit) but it doesn't matter on the ice. The Wings won the Cup with Lidstrom as captain and Zetterberg and Datsyuk as the dominant forwards. That doesn't mean there's been no guys still calling them weak or overrated or whatever, but it doesn't change the names engraved on the Cup.

The proof is in the pudding and this is where the Ovechkin-Backstrom Caps have come up short every time. It doesn't matter what people say, just prove them wrong. They haven't done it.

The Thornton/Marleau Sharks got the same treatment and they've been to the Conference Finals 3 times and the Finals once. I think just a single run to the Finals would have silenced much of the criticism of Ovechkin, never mind a Cup. But it's not there. We can argue all we want about it but it's up to them to prove it on the ice.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Pretty much.

Some nasty mud slinging at good ol' London boy Joe Thornton and gritty Sask farm boy Patrick Marleau over the years by the media.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

He could actually learn how to play both ends of the ice. In the playoffs, it isn't the goals you score, it's the ones you don't allow which count.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Are you kidding me? Look at how the media was rushing to destroy Crosby about the few previous playoffs prior to last year. Look at what was being said about him prior to the coaching change last year.

Ovechkin is a sub point per game player with a giant contract and on his way to being booted out of the second round as a top seed yet again. Look at him chasing around Kadri all of round one while chipping in 3 points in 6 games. Crosby would be destroyed for that.

:handclap::handclap:

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
As others have said anyone that thinks Crosby is someone a media darling have not been paying attention the last 8 years. Crosby was roasted over and over again when the Pens flamed out since their 2009 Cup win. Same deal for Ovechkin his team can't get out of the 2nd round so he takes the blame, that's what wearing the C is all about.

One thing Crosby said that stuck with me is after he scored the winning goal in the 2010 Olympics Sid was asked how he felt when team USA tied the game late, what was his thinking? Crosby replied that he saw it as an opportunity for the team to go into OT and win the game. Great attitude.

This is how Ovechkin needs to approach game 3, they have an opportunity so take advantage.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Ovi is a goal scorer. That is all he is. He is not a good 200 foot player and Crosby is. Maybe that is the example that team mates want to follow. He is a scoring machine but that is not what wins championships.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
We get it Greg Millen.

CRosby is Canadian and ovechkin isn't.

He just said ovechkin has got to be the difference because Crosby is.

All ovechkin does is try and help his team win did he not watch game one? He even helped the caps answer tonight.

When the caps were eliminated the last two years in overtime to the rangers and pens did you know where ovechkin was? The bench.

It's pretty hard to stop your season ending from the bench.

Ovechkin has a perfectly acceptable ppg in the playoffs.

His teammates disappear!

Why isn't vezina holtby called in to question for allowing soft goals on barely any shots.

How about shattenkirk for doing nothing and being in the ice for every pens goal.

What about the lack of burakovsky, oshie, backstrom??

Where are those guys?

Ovechkin gives his all. I can't even explain how mad Greg millen is making me I put it in mute for he first time in years.

I agree this goes way beyond Ovechkin. Millen can't come up with a thought of his own based on what is actually happening.

The Caps are possession monsters, they make a mistake and the puck goes in. Impossible to play with confidence this way.

Ove had better not show up at the Worlds this time though....for his own sake.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I've watched Crosby absolutely get shutdown and do nothing but Malkin carry the series. I guess it's easier when you have another generational talent on your team?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovi is a goal scorer. That is all he is. He is not a good 200 foot player and Crosby is. Maybe that is the example that team mates want to follow. He is a scoring machine but that is not what wins championships.

Let's ignore that he chased down Guentzel with a ferocious backcheck and leveled him hard. Let's totally ignore that. Or that he did a key shot block. Let's ignore that too.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I've watched Crosby absolutely get shutdown and do nothing but Malkin carry the series. I guess it's easier when you have another generational talent on your team?

How about when he outplays Malkin and Malkin flies under the criticism radar?

Regular season and playoffs.

There is no more sheltered player in the league from media attack than Malkin. Coming from someone who thinks Malkin is one of the best players in the league.

Having Malkin on his team is really helping at the Olympic level, hey?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Crosby had practically no points in the 2nd round last year when Ovechkin outscored him and Malkin combined and got the Conn Smythe.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
Is Crosby better at this point? Of course. But that isn't really a knock on Ovechkin any more. He's been great this year and I don't think he's the problem in Washington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad