Sick of Ovechkin-bashing on commentary

Luca

Nov 22, 2006
Like i have said before, i think that after this year second round exit Caps let Vegas take OV.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Backstrom is an excellent two way player, and arguably could have been a Selke finalist this season.

That's not really the impression I'd have gained from watching many of their games. But in any event it's not good enough to play with the big boys in the post-season. If he can shut down opposing top forwards, he's not been doing it in the playoffs.

One could go the old school way and say that Ovechkin and Backstrom simply lack the guts, the heart, the je-ne-sais-quoi you need in the playoffs. But that's probably not fair, it's a lot more likely that their styles of play simply don't translate as well to the tighter, more intense and physical game of the playoffs.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Never gotten out of the second round despite being on a top seed team every year.

"Controller disconnect" on Kessel's goal.

The only reason he isn't ripped worse is because he is not Canadian.

Crosby would be destroyed in the media if he and Ovechkin switched careers.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
At the end of the day he's the face of the franchise and it looks like it's going to continue to disappoint.

It's not all on him but he is the face... he gets the glory and the flack.

This. Nobody put a gun to his head the wear the C on his uniform.

You're the leader of the team not just another player.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010

:handclap: post of the thread. Hf has some serious anti -Canada, pro-Russia agenda.

Bloomfield*

Feb 15, 2017
Backstrom is the problem in Washington. He never steps up when he's needed in crucial games.

Ovechkin and his lazy russian friends are the problem. They want to play for russia not Washington. Backstrom is the best player on thw team

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
In my mind he is one of the most gifted athletes we've seen on skates, but he is more of a gamebreaker than leader. Backstrom is a better all around player than Ovechkin, who is also very good in many ways but primarily a goalscorer. Ovie was winning Hart trophies when his defence was worse than it is currently (IMO average now overall, pathetic at times in past regular seasons but still I think never horrible in the playoffs)

But I agree with the OP. This is as much or more about the media/CBC than Ovechkin's play. It was 2-1 after Crosby set up Kessel and the narrative was that Ovie needed to do something as well, like he hadn't set up the Caps goal.

All that said if Holtby outplayed Fleury it could have been 3-2 Caps in the first game and 6-2 Caps in the second with Ovechkin playing and leading in the exact same way and the narrative would be very different. Ovie might have added an EN goal and they would be talking about his 3 or more points, effort that certainly is there, and leadership.

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
Never gotten out of the second round despite being on a top seed team every year.

"Controller disconnect" on Kessel's goal.

:handclap: post of the thread. Hf has some serious anti -Canada, pro-Russia agenda.

Ok guys, seriously, stop drinking. It's exactly the other way around, if you ask me... Nobody gets as much as Heat as Ovechkin, no matter how well he plays. Now I am no Russian, but sometimes it is easy to see a slight anti-Russian bias, e.g. the whole fiasco about Malkin not making in Top-100 list while Toews did... :shakehead

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hes just not as important a player to his team as Crosby is. The debates done, IMO.

This has nothing to do with nationality, either. Ovechkin's decline is full effect and he is not capable of pulling the Caps to victory.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Ok guys, seriously, stop drinking. It's exactly the other way around, if you ask me... Nobody gets as much as Heat as Ovechkin, no matter how well he plays. Now I am no Russian, but sometimes it is easy to see a slight anti-Russian bias, e.g. the whole fiasco about Malkin not making in Top-100 list while Toews did... :shakehead
Delusions delusions. Theres always the most excuses when Russians play badly or dirty. Hfboards did not make the top 100 list btw and are Iggy or Big Joe Russian too?.He should have made the list.Has nothing to do with Hfboasrds anyway.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ovi isn't perfect, but he has been a very good playoff player every year imo. He's just about the last guy I'd blame for the Caps playoff failures.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes just not as important a player to his team as Crosby is. The debates done, IMO.

This has nothing to do with nationality, either. Ovechkin's decline is full effect and he is not capable of pulling the Caps to victory.

This. Hes just not a franchise player anymore, and he didnt win a cup and he probably never will.

Doesnt mean hes not an alltime great or that hes a lazy russian that doesnt care about the cup.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the reason Ovi gets so much of the blame is because OVI demanded so much of the salary

it goes hand in hand

more you demand the more demanding people are of you

fair or not, it means nothing

hand money back if you dont like it or cant take it

OVI is amazing but he still cant consistently do ALL the little things needed to win in the playoffs, why? because thats not his game but that IS the game you have to play to win in april, may and june

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
the reason Ovi gets so much of the blame is because OVI demanded so much of the salary

it goes hand in hand

more you demand the more demanding people are of you

fair or not, it means nothing

hand money back if you dont like it or cant take it

OVI is amazing but he still cant consistently do ALL the little things needed to win in the playoffs, why? because thats not his game but that IS the game you have to play to win in april, may and june
this is a fair point. Ovi has been very good to great in the playoffs over his career imo, but they pay him to be the best guy on the ice.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Crosby is the better player than Ovechkin and that's simply the truth. But it's not just that. Ovechkin's position and style allow him less influence on the game. If the Caps had a complete centerman who was a bit worse than Crosby but still HOF caliber, they'd still be more capable of beating the Pens.

In the NHL there's 3 ways of winning in the playoffs: (1) dominant two-way Center play (2) dominant Norris d-man and quality top 4 D (3) good team D and a goalie standing on his head

Caps's team D isn't good, Caps don't have a very good D-man and they don't have a dominant two way center. The team is just built all wrong.

They have Backstory

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Ovie will always get bashed by Canadian media because his name isn't Kevin Smith from Alberta. Xenophobia is actually OK in hockey.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Ovechkin catches too much heat from a bunch of people but he's also defended far too vigorously by a lot of people in response. Some people hate him because he's Russian, others defend him extra-hard because he's Russian.

I think the fact of the matter is that he will most likely retire with one of the most disappointing playoff resumes of any elite forward. I mean Marcel Dionne comes to mind but then Dionne's teams were overall not as good as Ovechkin's in relation to the league overall.

It's also a fact that they've pretty much exchanged the entire roster around Backstrom and Ovechkin multiple times over the span of his career. They have certainly tried very hard to build a team around Ovechkin and Backstrom that is capable of winning the Cup.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Ovechkin is probably my favorit player since Forsberg but I'm afraid his best years are over. I love complete players who can do it all, forwards delivering punishing hits, assists and goals combined with tons of skill.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
He is the guy who when on the ice for Washington generates offense. Got a post last game and could of had a 2 point night. Backstrom is the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad