Sick of Bickell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The Sharp is a sniper myth needs to be put to bed.

Last year 100 players had 20 goals or more. 23 had a worse shooting percentage than Sharp. The bottom quartile does not a sniper make.

Sharp is no Kessel, nor is he a Stamkos, or Ovechkin, but he IS Hawks sniper. Shooting often as he does will not give him a great shooting percentage, but who gives a fat rats ass as long as he gets his 30+ goals and is a valuable contributor to this team's success. I certainly wish Toews and company shot the puck more often.

And BTW, Sharp has not been a 20 goal scorer since 2006. Since then he has averaged 30+ goals per, and a few times with missing a number of games due to injury. In the past 3 seasons, he has had 34 / 33 / 34 goals. Perhap you should reload that calculator and compare him with players in that category (not the conveniently low number of 20)..

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Last year 21 players scored 30+. JvR is the only one who had a worse sht%, with his 10.8 to Sharp's 10.9.

Not that those numbers matter.

...and 12/13 had 30 guys with 30+ goals. 6 had a worse % than Sharpie. Ah, a pattern appears.

It matters if one is trying to claim he is a sniper.

Is Troy Brouwer a sniper? Last year 25 goals with a shooting percentage 50% better than Sharpie. :laugh:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
...and 12/13 had 30 guys with 30+ goals. 6 had a worse % than Sharpie. Ah, a pattern appears.

Is Troy Brouwer a sniper? Last year 25 goals with a shooting percentage 50% better than Sharpie. :laugh:

It only matters if you believe that snipers have to have a high shooting percentage. I don't. He's a high volume shooter.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It only matters if you believe that snipers have to have a high shooting percentage. I don't. He's a high volume shooter.

I want you to think about what "sniper" means out of context of hockey and why we use the term in hockey.

It's a stupid semantic argument. Sharp is a good player who takes a lot of shots and scores a lot of goals. I don't have a huge amount of concern over whether we call him a "sniper" or not. But as a general rule, snipers aren't the guys with machine guns spraying everything in sight.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

There you go again. Sharp had 34 goals last season, not 25, not 20. Seems it is not only Bickell that we disagree on, and tbh, I don't know what your point is here. As posters on this board well know, I can be critical of this team, but Sharp (no matter what label you attach to him) imo, has been underrated for years by some fans of this team and it seems you are one of them. He is important to our success.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
There you go again. Sharp had 34 goals last season, not 25, not 20. Seems it is not only Bickell that we disagree on, and tbh, I don't know what your point is here. As posters on this board well know, I can be critical of this team, but Sharp (no matter what label you attach to him) imo, has been underrated for years by some fans of this team and it seems you are one of them. He is important to our success.

You may have missed the 1st line of my prior post and the post above mine. It makes your position worse. Now if we take RW with 34 goals last year, his % would probably rank much higher.

Sniper implies accuracy as in when he gets a good look he scores a high percentage of the time. That does not describe Sharp's game, at all.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You may have missed the 1st line of my prior post and the post above mine. It makes your position worse. Now if we take RW with 34 goals last year, his % would probably rank much higher.

Sniper implies accuracy as in when he gets a good look he scores a high percentage of the time. That does not describe Sharp's game, at all.

... or does it imply a guy who will shoot first, no matter if it's a real good look or not, usually resulting in 30+ goal seasons. Sharp led all Hawk's in scoring last year, not just goals. His ability to get the puck to the net spawns not only goals, but also assists from rebounds that lead to team success. I'm done arguing over the semantics of what Sharp is labelled as..

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
The Sharp is a sniper myth needs to be put to bed.

Last year 100 players had 20 goals or more. 23 had a worse shooting percentage than Sharp. The bottom quartile does not a sniper make.

Sharp is the definition of a sniper..... Sharps job is to score goals... Sure he's a balanced player but he's a sniper...

If you watch closely you will notice all the one-timers Sharp takes and how many shots on goal he takes per game. He averages 3.75 shots per game over the last 5 years - and that's a lot...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Sharp isn't a sniper? :laugh: OK.

I take it Ovechkin isn't a sniper either, since he doesn't score on a high % of his shots.

Sharps career shooting % is 11.8 and Ovechkin's is 12.3... Not much difference except Ovechkin takes 500 shots a season and Sharp takes 275 average.

People laugh when I say Sharp could score 50 goals a season, the truth is that he could if he took as many shots as Ovechkin.

IMO, shooting percentage is only a viable statistic if a player takes more than 150 shots a season. It's still a useful statistic tho when comparing players but like I said sample size is the key.

member 151739

People laugh when I say Sharp could score 50 goals a season, the truth is that he could if he took as many shots as Ovechkin.

No he couldn't. Why doesn't everyone just shoot as much as Ovechkin if that's all it takes? You're downplaying Ovechkin's skill is what you're doing.

How did this thread become about Sharp?

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
If Bickel plays the rest of the season like he did last, hell if he does every other game, I will definitely not be sick of him. (Bickel thread should be about Bickel)

member 151739

If Bickel plays the rest of the season like he did last, hell if he does every other game, I will definitely not be sick of him. (Bickel thread should be about Bickel)

Everyone feels this way. But the fact is he won't play like that every game. If he simply plays like that more often, then I'm perfectly fine with him.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Everyone feels this way. But the fact is he won't play like that every game. If he simply plays like that more often, then I'm perfectly fine with him.

Bickell himself has made it quite clear that he is well aware that he needs to work on his consistency. That was playoff Bickell we saw last night, and let's hope he has turned a corner. Saad and he seem to have some chemistry.... but it's only one game.

member 151739

Bickell himself has made it quite clear that he is well aware that he needs to work on his consistency. That was playoff Bickell we saw last night, and let's hope he has turned a corner. Saad and he seem to have some chemistry.... but it's only one game.

Indeed. Great showing last night. I'm not complaining, hope it continues.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Last night is a prime example of why people are sick of Bickell. He's capable of dominating a game like that but only gives that level of effort about a dozen times a year in the regular season.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

Sharp might have that many shots and goals if he learned to hit the net. Always thought of him as a high volume shooter on the best team in the league...not exactly the sniper who can "pick a fly off the barn wall" type with God-given hand-eye and perfect release. He's what the Hawks need though...especially with his speed. Wouldn't be surprised if he leads the Hawks in shots, goals, fanned shots, and shots missing the net.

He made the NHL based on his speed, grit in the bottom 6, and penalty killing ability. Cool to see how he's seized his opportunity.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
No he couldn't. Why doesn't everyone just shoot as much as Ovechkin if that's all it takes? You're downplaying Ovechkin's skill is what you're doing.

How did this thread become about Sharp?

Because people are sick of people being sick of Bickell.. the sentiment is tired and dull now.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Last night is a prime example of why people are sick of Bickell. He's capable of dominating a game like that but only gives that level of effort about a dozen times a year in the regular season.

A dozen? I think a half dozen is even pushing it hahah. But real solid last night for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad