Sick of Bickell

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I've kinda figured that since he wasn't given a NTC that after this year he'd be gone regardless.

It's only been 3 games however, so lets not jump the gun just yet. He has looked pretty underwhelming though

I'm basing this on a lot more than three games. He'll have a good year when he's due for another contract.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Bickell looked OK in the preseason to me when he had Shaw and Versteeg win him. I am not willing to write off Bickells season 3 games into him being stuck with two guys he's never played with before.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Bickell looked OK in the preseason to me when he had Shaw and Versteeg win him. I am not willing to write off Bickells season 3 games into him being stuck with two guys he's never played with before.

Yes, the 3rd line has had a variety of players over the last season or so. Bickell seemed to have good chemistry with first, Stalberg/Shaw, when VS was here, and later with Shaw and whomever was the fill-in. He seems lost now.

As I stated previously, no matter how you shake it, I can't see Richards on the 3rd line, and being effective. Maybe, just maybe, Q will re-unite the Versteeg/Shaw/BB line when Versteeg is back to being healthy... but I wouldn't count on it. Q is notorious for not doing the obvious.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Yeah, (outside of the playoffs) he doesn't work hard, because of his poor work ethic. We should waive him, but in business the guys at the top are never willing to admit they made a mistake. They'll stick with the worst decisions and hires for years, because they don't understand that admitting you made a mistake and correcting it makes you look much better and proactive. That's just the way it is.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
And the lesson is that Shaw contributes either as a 2C or 3C. ..but we do not seem to ever solve the C for the other line Shaw is not centering...he cannot obvious do both lines..And so the question this year has always been if Richards can succeed as either 2C or 3C for us..or is he just expired milk already? So far looks expired..but Q will give him the rope to either hang himself or improve his line's production..that test will have to wait till Versteeg gets back...then if the line still does not produce the blame will squarely fall on Richards failing his task..so probably around game #25-30 we shall get the final answer..if he fails the task then he sill get chopped..and TT (unless he struggles too in Rockford ) will get a call-up..if TT not impressing down on the farm then Regin gets a call-up and they will decide if he or Kruger goes to 3C or plays 4C and the other then plays 3C..they will not/should not keep expired milk.around if Richards has not contributed much by that 25-30 game review target.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ohhh, I hear you. The problem of not going to the dirty areas is rampant on this team.... but we acquired Richard's to be a 2nd line center. Playing him on the 3rd line isn't working so far, and not sure it ever will. I'm afraid the 2nd line center dilemna continues, again a product of the Hawk's system of picking smaller players and/or players that lack the will and aggression that Shaw brings.
Even when TT arrives, the lack of net presence will not get solved.
We acquired Richards to be a C on this team, not necessarily the 2nd line C. I don't think the 2nd line C dilemma has continued thus far, Shaw has been a great fit. (so far)

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
And the lesson is that Shaw contributes either as a 2C or 3C. ..but we do not seem to ever solve the C for the other line Shaw is not centering...he cannot obvious do both lines..And so the question this year has always been if Richards can succeed as either 2C or 3C for us..or is he just expired milk already? So far looks expired..but Q will give him the rope to either hang himself or improve his line's production..that test will have to wait till Versteeg gets back...then if the line still does not produce the blame will squarely fall on Richards failing his task..so probably around game #25-30 we shall get the final answer..if he fails the task then he sill get chopped..and TT (unless he struggles too in Rockford ) will get a call-up..if TT not impressing down on the farm then Regin gets a call-up and they will decide if he or Kruger goes to 3C or plays 4C and the other then plays 3C..they will not/should not keep expired milk.around if Richards has not contributed much by that 25-30 game review target.

No body is joining this team without creating salary Cap space

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
So an average skating, inconsistent player that's never scored 20 goals in a season isn't playing that well, I'm shocked.

Until they find a massive frame to replace him in the top 9, I don't think there's much point in calling for him to be traded or waived. Even with as much capspace as he sucks up throughout the year, keeping him around is probably the best of the bad ideas if the Hawks plan on contending this year.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Problem with putting Richards on the 2nd line with Kane and Saad is, no one goes to the front of the net and it becomes perimeter hockey. At least Shaw goes to the front of the net and stays there, and gets his nose really dirty in the corners.

Only Shaw and Toews really go to the front of the net, it's kind of unacceptable to me that Saad and Sharp don't do it more, both are plenty strong enough. Especially Saad.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Only Shaw and Toews really go to the front of the net, it's kind of unacceptable to me that Saad and Sharp don't do it more, both are plenty strong enough. Especially Saad.

Saad is better served cycling the puck as he is one of the better puck possession players the Hawks have. But yes, with Toews and Hossa on a line, Sharp should be the one taking the abuse out front. Must not want to mess up his pretty face though.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Saad is better served cycling the puck as he is one of the better puck possession players the Hawks have. But yes, with Toews and Hossa on a line, Sharp should be the one taking the abuse out front. Must not want to mess up his pretty face though.

Don't want Saad to be Holmstrom or Hornquist or anything, but I just wish it was part of his game. Sometimes Shaw can't get there, and if those 2 ever get another center Saad will have to do it, I just think he'd score more and his line would be more productive. Sharp is a lost cause I think, he'd much rather be at the bottom of the left faceoff circle even is both other players are battling in the corner.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
We acquired Richards to be a C on this team, not necessarily the 2nd line C. I don't think the 2nd line C dilemma has continued thus far, Shaw has been a great fit. (so far)

Shaw could have played FT 2nd line center last season as well. Would that have solved the center issue then as well? No, because it weakens our 3rd line!! And as it stands now, Shaw on 2nd line, weakens the 3rd line exponentially.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Don't want Saad to be Holmstrom or Hornquist or anything, but I just wish it was part of his game. Sometimes Shaw can't get there, and if those 2 ever get another center Saad will have to do it, I just think he'd score more and his line would be more productive. Sharp is a lost cause I think, he'd much rather be at the bottom of the left faceoff circle even is both other players are battling in the corner.

Yes, but fact is, no player should shy away from getting dirty when the occasion arises. The only possible exception would be Kane, and maybe TT when he gets here, but their immense skillsets let them get away with it.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

:rolleyes:

What are you jealous of his looks or something that you have to bring that up?

Sharp has the Hawks best/most consistent outside shot and ability to get off that shot without it getting blocked. It doesn't make sense to have him go to the net.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Sharp has the Hawks best/most consistent outside shot and ability to get off that shot without it getting blocked. It doesn't make sense to have him go to the net.

Sharp is probably the most aggressive physically of our top 6 when it comes to initiating contact (Toews as well when the need arises).... and he is a sniper who we need sniping. I have no issue whatsoever with his grit. I wish they were all as committed.

tatoo

Mar 16, 2002
ddo quebec
Visit site
I'm not a bickell fan,never have been.In all of bickell's time with the Hawks,he has had 1good playoff year.It was a contract year and even last year,he might of had one good round and then disappear.I would think of trading him for someone like a glencross or a Martin.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I feel sorry for Ben Smith. He has been lumped in with Richards and Bickell and those two have been like boat anchors. Smith deserves better for sure

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Sharp is probably the most aggressive physically of our top 6 when it comes to initiating contact (Toews as well when the need arises).... and he is a sniper who we need sniping. I have no issue whatsoever with his grit. I wish they were all as committed.

The Sharp is a sniper myth needs to be put to bed.

Last year 100 players had 20 goals or more. 23 had a worse shooting percentage than Sharp. The bottom quartile does not a sniper make.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010

Last year 100 players had 20 goals or more. 23 had a worse shooting percentage than Sharp. The bottom quartile does not a sniper make.

better watch out, he's going to be sending a 90mph wrister through your bedroom window tonight.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

He was second in shots for. Shooting percentage does not a sniper make. He's 11.8 for his career. If he's not a sniper, what is he?

Kathryn Tappen

yeah whatever ****
Jun 17, 2013
I like BB, I see what he brings to the table but in 4 games so far he hasn't proved to be worth $4M.

29-19-88 was a great line. Bickell just looks goofy bring paired with Richards. I also liked how he looked with Shaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad