Sick of Bickell

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
Bowman gets crap constantly on here about certain signings/trades. While I've been pretty OK with most he's done, that Bickell resigning at 4 million a year has to be the worst thing he's done since becoming GM(if not the worst close to it) Bickell was horrible and barely worth the league minimal when he was getting it. He showed up in the playoffs and got a huge payday. Last year he went back to being a slouch again. He was better in the playoffs once again. Now he we are again. Paying a guy 4 million to play a few good games in the playoffs. Outside of one nice hit the first game he's been useless. Richards/Versteeg/whoever they stick with him are going to suffer all year playing on a line with him. It's time to dump this bum for good. Not hard to find a $2 million $ replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothingman*

This was the year he said he would perform not having come off the injury.l. If anything he has looked worse to be honest. If he would contribute in some meaningful manner it would be nice.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
I just don't know what he brings to the table . I've watched 85-90% of his NHL games and he just seems to float most of the time. I mean he should at least throw his body around. We know he can be a big tough angry individual,just wish he played like that more often. No heart.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
He's by far the most frustrating Hawk to watch. If he'd only try, he could be so good. But it's hard to have patience with pro athletes that don't give 100%.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bowman had to give that extension given Bickell is only guy capable of bringing that physical game in system then or now and was coming off major playoff

It wouldn't have looked good to let him walk especially after being forced to move Ladd/Byfuglien in 2010

With that said ,, Its a disaster at this point and Hawks would be better team with an actual hockey player liker Danault/Hartman on roster who will show up and play night in and night out and can play PK

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If I'm the GM, if I can't trade him at the end of the year, I am buying him out.

We will definitely miss his physical presence in the playoffs if we can't fill it with an adequate replacement.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If I'm the GM, if I can't trade him at the end of the year, I am buying him out.

We will definitely miss his physical presence in the playoffs if we can't fill it with an adequate replacement.

Hawks cant afford the dead cap space of a buyout

Dead cap from a Bickell buyout

2015-16: $1,000,000
2016-17: $1,000,000
2017-18: $1,500,000
2018-19: $1,500,000

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Where are all those people who claim Bickell gets paid for his Playoff performance ...crap on that

He under-performs 82 games a year. If he had heart and desire like Shaw he could be Lucic

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Play this season out, let him elevate his game in the playoffs and deal him in the offseason.

Playoff lineup:
Bickell Toews Hossa
Saad Richards Kane
Sharp Teravainen Shaw
Versteeg Kruger Smith

2 first lines, a 2nd line and a 3rd line.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Where are all those people who claim Bickell gets paid for his Playoff performance ...crap on that

He under-performs 82 games a year. If he had heart and desire like Shaw he could be Lucic

I agree he is off to a terrible start but it's only 3 games in. BB knows he needs to pick it up and seems in better shape as he shed some pounds in the off season.

However, it's not just Bickell who looks bad. The truth is, the 3rd line without Shaw (and with Richards in his place) is wanting, to put it politely. I just hope Q doesn't pull his usual (stubborn) act and not change up the 2nd and 3rd line centers until far into the season, even though it is already obvious that Richards is ineffective playing bottom 6 hockey. The 3rd line needs Shaw and the tenacity he brings.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I agree he is off to a terrible start but it's only 3 games in. BB knows he needs to pick it up and seems in better shape as he shed some pounds in the off season.

However, it's not just Bickell who looks bad. The truth is, the 3rd line without Shaw (and with Richards in his place) is wanting, to put it politely. I just hope Q doesn't pull his usual (stubborn) act and not change up the 2nd and 3rd line centers until far into the season, even though it is already obvious that Richards is ineffective playing bottom 6 hockey. The 3rd line needs Shaw and the tenacity he brings.

I'm usually with you Bobby 99% of the time. We diverge on Bickell however.

I've been thinking about his situation for quite a bit. I think it was a perfect storm for Bickell. Hawks are a favorite powerhouse team and opponents can only cover so many guys come playoff time. Combined with everybody having dinged up guys in the playoffs, Bickell steps it up (one time actually) and boom he's Steve Payne Jr. 1980.

Difference is Mr. April had good regular seasons.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Problem with putting Richards on the 2nd line with Kane and Saad is, no one goes to the front of the net and it becomes perimeter hockey. At least Shaw goes to the front of the net and stays there, and gets his nose really dirty in the corners.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

He does, problem is, going forward we can't afford 4mil during the regular season. It was fine until after this year.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm usually with you Bobby 99% of the time. We diverge on Bickell however.

I've been thinking about his situation for quite a bit. I think it was a perfect storm for Bickell. Hawks are a favorite powerhouse team and opponents can only cover so many guys come playoff time. Combined with everybody having dinged up guys in the playoffs, Bickell steps it up (one time actually) and boom he's Steve Payne Jr. 1980.

Difference is Mr. April had good regular seasons.

I know Bickell can be enigmatic for sure (but as I've stated before, his contract is a product of the Hawk system) who repeatedly neglect to draft players with good size (who use their size). Bickell looks terrible right now, and other than missing Shaw, it is hard to explain. I hope he snaps out of it soon.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I know Bickell can be enigmatic for sure (but as I've stated before, his contract is a product of the Hawk system) who repeatedly neglect to draft players with good size (who use their size). Bickell looks terrible right now, and other than missing Shaw, it is hard to explain. I hope he snaps out of it soon.

Enigmatic is the nicest euphemism for lazy I've ever heard.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Problem with putting Richards on the 2nd line with Kane and Saad is, no one goes to the front of the net and it becomes perimeter hockey. At least Shaw goes to the front of the net and stays there, and gets his nose really dirty in the corners.

Ohhh, I hear you. The problem of not going to the dirty areas is rampant on this team.... but we acquired Richard's to be a 2nd line center. Playing him on the 3rd line isn't working so far, and not sure it ever will. I'm afraid the 2nd line center dilemna continues, again a product of the Hawk's system of picking smaller players and/or players that lack the will and aggression that Shaw brings.
Even when TT arrives, the lack of net presence will not get solved.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've kinda figured that since he wasn't given a NTC that after this year he'd be gone regardless.

It's only been 3 games however, so lets not jump the gun just yet. He has looked pretty underwhelming though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad