SI details Ryan Keslers hip ailment

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
did some of you not read the article?

the guy can't even put on his socks or get up from the toilet by himself and you guys want him back? he's done and should've been done after two seasons ago

this isn't something that he can take a season off from and magically get back to 100%

Did you read it? He couldn't get off of a toilet early in the process back in the summer of 2017.

I really hope he retires after this season. It would really suck to see him not be able to walk in the future just to play for the Ducks next seaosn when they are not going to be contenders.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Gotta say, that's gotta be inspiring to the boys, and i could certainly see that setting a great example for the young guys.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Kesler is signed for 3 years after this one, right? It might be worth him doing the surgery this season (if he needs a hit replacement or something), then taking all of next year (year 1 of 3) off and maybe part/all of the following year (year 2 of 3). That year 2, maybe half way through he can start skating and practicing if he feels a lot better and using that last half of the year to get back in game shape. Hopefully he can be an effective 4th liner that final year if he wants to keep playing, if not he could hang them up. By that 3rd year, Perry's deal will be gone and Getzlaf will probably be a bit cheaper than that $8 mil+ price tag so even if Kesler plays, Anaheim might be able to absorb that contract better. If he is an effective 4th liner at that point, he might want to come back (at a MUCH cheaper contract) after, but likely retires at the end of year 3.

There is no playing after a hip replacement. I've had a shoulder replacement. Joint replacements are not things you play on. They are only to increase your quality of life, regarding pain, going forward. Injuries that get to this point, do not recover like a normal joint would. A joint replacement would end his career.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
When he joined the Ducks he was worth every penny. Sadly his body wore out.

He is a competitive guy, but I hope his family can convince him to stop.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm actually curious to see if he can continue improving. Guy is an absolute warrior. Wish the entire team showed as much heart as Kes. Rakell, I'm looking at you.

I know it's in the best interest of himself, as well as the Ducks, if he retires. But if the Ducks are open to it, and he's willing to push, it's his body, and he has every right, and I don't blame him for trying.

We all know Kesler is a warrior and it was clear he was grinding through an injury. The maddening thing is his usage. WTF were Carlyle and Murray thinking playing that guy 20+ minutes a night including minutes that lots of other guys could take (e.g., power play). He was supposed to get days off as well.

Kesler has actually looked better lately - I'm sure that is largely related to his reduced role/minutes.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
There is no playing after a hip replacement. I've had a shoulder replacement. Joint replacements are not things you play on. They are only to increase your quality of life, regarding pain, going forward. Injuries that get to this point, do not recover like a normal joint would. A joint replacement would end his career.

Oh ok, no one in my family has had to go through that. I didn't know it was career ending.

Oct 18, 2011
We all know Kesler is a warrior and it was clear he was grinding through an injury. The maddening thing is his usage. WTF were Carlyle and Murray thinking playing that guy 20+ minutes a night including minutes that lots of other guys could take (e.g., power play). He was supposed to get days off as well.

Kesler has actually looked better lately - I'm sure that is largely related to his reduced role/minutes.
It's just an example of how an organization has to protect players from themselves sometimes

What's unbelievable is Bob and RC knew these things and didn't adjust. They kept using him the same!

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's just an example of how an organization has to protect players from themselves sometimes

What's unbelievable is Bob and RC knew these things and didn't adjust. They kept using him the same!

Yeah, I think the most shocking info to come out of all this is that RC could use him as much as he did knowing how bad his hip was. And if Randy claims not to know, that's a new level of stupidity for a coach not to be talking to the doctors and trainers about injured guys. Or are we just back to an old school GM and an old school coach who admire athletes who destroy themselves to play?

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I was absolutely thrilled when we got Kesler, and it's been a treat watching him in the playoffs, but if the dude needs all that help just to put on skates, but still wants to be around and help, I wouldn't mind seeing him as the defensive coach. What an absolute warrior.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I now feel bad for all of the shit I talk about him, but makes me say f*** Carlyle even more for playing him all those minutes when he clearly couldn't handle it. Of course he's going to say he's fine, he's Kesler, it's the coaches job to manage his minutes appropriately.

I kinda hate the culture of sports that glorifies this kind of thing. I'm not mad at him, he loves playing and doesn't wanna give it up, but I'm mad at the support system around him. The team, family and friends should have stepped in awhile ago.

Kind of. I broke both of my wrists my senior year in high school, and once the typical healing was done the doctor said they didn't set correctly and wanted to re-break them and set them correctly. However, I was back just in time before league championships for wrestling so I said that I was good. 15 years later I've lost probably 50% flexibility, can barely get through yoga because my wrists are on fire, wrists are on fire everytime after a hockey game and I can't do any exercises that require any wrist flexibility a la pushups or curls for very long. The immediate want to get back on the ice will far outweigh the outlook on his future, whether that's right or wrong is subjective.

What a warrior and gem Kesler is, but I hope he seriously considers his future as much as he loves the game. He's a bright dude with a good personality, I'm sure there is a spot for him in the organization if he wants it. Hell he could simply be the faceoff coach lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: branmuffin17

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
BTW, who puts on socks standing up? Thought that was really weird. I'm just asking for a hip injury trying that.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
BTW, who puts on socks standing up? Thought that was really weird. I'm just asking for a hip injury trying that.
It's a good litmus test for good body function though. I can't do it anymore after back surgery, it's more depressing than it sounds.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Honestly, I'd be shocked if Kesler plays next season. Is he really going to go through all of that just to play on a fringe playoff team? I'm not seeing it now that he has 1000 games.

Either way, nothing but respect to Kes. He may not be an NHL player these days, but those first 3 years here were unbelievable. Just a shame he could never get a cup, without a doubt the player on the team who deserved it the most.

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
Kesler doesn’t seem like the type to join the club as an advisor/coach while on LTIR. He’d just get the itch to lace em up and continue to play.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
giphy.gif

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Honestly, I'd be shocked if Kesler plays next season. Is he really going to go through all of that just to play on a fringe playoff team? I'm not seeing it now that he has 1000 games.

Either way, nothing but respect to Kes. He may not be an NHL player these days, but those first 3 years here were unbelievable. Just a shame he could never get a cup, without a doubt the player on the team who deserved it the most.
As a Canucks fan was always appreciative of his effort. No issues with him wanting out in 2014. He saw the writing on the wall of The prior regimes inability to draft and develop and knew the end of the road was coming for the core. If he didn’t ask out not much changes in Vancouver. Basically swap him for bonino in 2015 when they made the playoffs. But they would not fair much better from 2016 to now.

Had 2 good runs in Anaheim in 2015 and 2017 getting to the final 4.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad