SI details Ryan Keslers hip ailment

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I was absolutely thrilled when we got Kesler, and it's been a treat watching him in the playoffs, but if the dude needs all that help just to put on skates, but still wants to be around and help, I wouldn't mind seeing him as the defensive coach. What an absolute warrior.
He might have a problem being a coach.
''what? What do you mean you can`t dress to a game with your slightly broken leg? Get out there!''

:laugh:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Honestly, I'd be shocked if Kesler plays next season. Is he really going to go through all of that just to play on a fringe playoff team? I'm not seeing it now that he has 1000 games.

Either way, nothing but respect to Kes. He may not be an NHL player these days, but those first 3 years here were unbelievable. Just a shame he could never get a cup, without a doubt the player on the team who deserved it the most.
Would have loved to see Cogs getting it too but yeah nothing but love for Kes, it`s a shame it ended like it did (or keeps ending) but he was amazing, that 16/17 season was something. If his hip wouldn`t broke down in the middle of the year I think we would get past NSH and have a decent chance against the Pens.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kesler went on the radio in Vancouver on Wednesday to talk. Think he can see the end is near and is reflecting back in his career.

Still amazes me that people here are still angry. His contract was going to expire in 2016. Given how Benning bungled the 2016 TDL with Hamhuis another guy with a full ntc they at least got something for Kesler.

Can realistically see Kesler ending up on Ltir for next season.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
If he retires, I really hope he stays in the organisation. Classy guy imho and a role model in terms of dedication.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sucks about Kesler always liked him as a person and player, similar player to Ryan Callahan who is one of my favorite players in the league. Was also cool they were teammates in the Olympics together. He also had hip surgery and was able to recover. Maybe Kesler just needs more time? It took Callahan a good year and change to recover, and he is having his best season in over 3 years. Sorry if I am trying to give you guys false optimism on Kesler, not sure if the hip situation was worse for him or not. But do you really see him retiring on going on the LTIR next year?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sucks about Kesler always liked him as a person and player, similar player to Ryan Callahan who is one of my favorite players in the league. Was also cool they were teammates in the Olympics together. He also had hip surgery and was able to recover. Maybe Kesler just needs more time? It took Callahan a good year and change to recover, and he is having his best season in over 3 years. Sorry if I am trying to give you guys false optimism on Kesler, not sure if the hip situation was worse for him or not. But do you really see him retiring on going on the LTIR next year?
Check out the ESPN article. Or go google it. It does not paint a pretty picture of what he has to endure.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
what if kesler going on LTIR is one of the pieces that Bob is alluding to when he says the pieces will come together bit by bit and then that'll easily allow us to keep everyone as it opens up a bunch of room for us

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If he knew 100% that Kesler is going to go on LTIR and that ownership will allow him to spend Kesler's money, then the Silfverberg contract makes a lot more sense. I'd still like to get out of one or both of the Henrique/Fowler contracts this offseason

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think Kes tried to walk things back a bit in The Athletic but, yeah, everything about that SI article and the way the team handled the 1000 game thing(maybe the most attention I've ever seen put on reaching that mark) suggests this is it. Probably won't know for sure until training camp next year but the regular season finale might be a huge indicator.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think Kes tried to walk things back a bit in The Athletic but, yeah, everything about that SI article and the way the team handled the 1000 game thing(maybe the most attention I've ever seen put on reaching that mark) suggests this is it. Probably won't know for sure until training camp next year but the regular season finale might be a huge indicator.

Paging DVM, Paging DVM. We will be needing the DVM live feed cam to iso on Kesler as the final game finishes.

kesboss

Angels from Anaheim
Dec 4, 2017
Lets say if Kesler goes to LTIR after the season and decides to retire. How does it work against cap?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lets say if Kesler goes to LTIR after the season and decides to retire. How does it work against cap?

If he goes on LTIR then we are able to replace his roster spot and go over thto cap by the amount of his cap hit. His cap hit still counts for tagging purposes and if we don’t go over the cap with him on LTIR we don’t get any cap relief, as in we can’t bank the space we would have if he wasn’t on the roster at all.

kesboss

Angels from Anaheim
Dec 4, 2017
If he goes on LTIR then we are able to replace his roster spot and go over thto cap by the amount of his cap hit. His cap hit still counts for tagging purposes and if we don’t go over the cap with him on LTIR we don’t get any cap relief, as in we can’t bank the space we would have if he wasn’t on the roster at all.
Ok thx, now i understand better.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'm confused on what you mean with the last sentence regarding banking it. If he is LTIR our cap effectively goes up like $7 million, right? Are you saying we need to use that extra cap before the start of the season or we lose that extra cap space?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm confused on what you mean with the last sentence regarding banking it. If he is LTIR our cap effectively goes up like $7 million, right? Are you saying we need to use that extra cap before the start of the season or we lose that extra cap space?

I think he means that we can't apply any savings toward a pro-rated contract. So Kesler's contract is just under $7 mil, at the beginning of the season we could get a player that makes as much as him. But we can't "bank" the savings in the sense that we can't wait a few months and get an $10 mil player just because we didn't use the room Kesler provided earlier in the season. Basically the replacement player has to be making the same amount or less than Kesler.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I mean we can replace him with a roster player for the amount of his cap hit at any time in the year if he’s on LTIR but we can’t actually accumulate cap space if he’s not replaced.

So say if we have a $78M cap hit including Kesler and we put him on LTIR, we only accumulate the daily cap savings on $2M of cap space as opposed to $9M of cap space.

Sorry I’m not explaining it overly well I’m in a bit of a rush but basically it means we won’t have as much room to play with at the trade deadline with Kesler on LTIR compared to if he wasn’t on the roster at all.

Maybe someone who has a bit more time can elaborate more but hopefully the above makes some sense.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think he means that we can't apply any savings toward a pro-rated contract. So Kesler's contract is just under $7 mil, at the beginning of the season we could get a player that makes as much as him. But we can't "bank" the savings in the sense that we can't wait a few months and get an $10 mil player just because we didn't use the room Kesler provided earlier in the season. Basically the replacement player has to be making the same amount or less than Kesler.

Yeah thats pretty much it. Cheers for putting it in words that make more sense.

Reactions: lwvs84

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Okay that makes sense but even if we signed someone for Kesler contract at the tdl wouldnt that player only boost total salary by (annual salary x % of season) so even though we only have $2 million of additional cap or so at the tdl, we would only need that much at the tdl to sign someone of Keslers contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad