SI details Ryan Keslers hip ailment

Oct 18, 2011
The words had blindsided him like a body check and now Ryan Kesler was melting down, struggling to digest what he had heard. Realistic expectations … long-term conversation … life after hockey ...Silence filled the surgeon’s office. Tears rushed from his eyes. “Wait, what?” Kesler finally croaked in disbelief. “You just want me to stop playing?”

This was early December 2016. One day, with his parents visiting in Anaheim, Kesler suddenly found himself unable to walk up a flight of stairs at his house. He couldn’t recall suffering any noticeable on-ice blows, save for perhaps colliding with a Ducks teammate in a recent game. But now Kesler could only handle one step at a time, forced to plant his left foot and swing the right leg from behind before moving onto the next.

'Journey of a Warrior': Kesler travels long road to reach 1,000 games

It makes you wonder how he was even medically cleared to play in the 2017 Playoffs and last year

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I told you guys that he was considering just retiring and the 1,000 game goal was a really reason that he wanted to keep playing.

Oct 18, 2011
I told you guys that he was considering just retiring and the 1,000 game goal was a really reason that he wanted to keep playing.
He can't run on flat ground or put on a sock standing. I wonder if he retires after the season unless there's improvement

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Well he will have hit his 1,000. I could see him retiring. It does seem to be getting a little better but his approach to recovery was horrible. Go really hard, injure it, sit out for awhile, then push forward again. Sounds like that delayed his recovery a ton. I remember when all of the fans were on Management for rushing him back but it sounds like a lot of that is on Kesler.

The latest thing I have heard is that he wants to mentor the young kids so maybe that means he stays around on the 4th line and collects that massive paycheck.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
december 2016? jesus christ. how the hell was he cleared to play last season?

why the hell is he still playing? i mean yeah, the guy is an absolute warrior for fighting through god knows how much pain on a nightly basis but he's become nothing more than a liability for his team. if he stuck around long enough to play 1k games i get it. but he really needs to retire after this season or put on LTIR

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
december 2016? jesus christ. how the hell was he cleared to play last season?

why the hell is he still playing? i mean yeah, the guy is an absolute warrior for fighting through god knows how much pain on a nightly basis but he's become nothing more than a liability for his team. if he stuck around long enough to play 1k games i get it. but he really needs to retire after this season or put on LTIR
I'm assuming that's the reason. Wouldn't be surprised if he retired or did what Dupuis did where he sticks around and is involved with the team but stays on LTIR and doesn't play.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's pretty obvious from that article and his current play that he could easily qualify to retire on LTIR. It also seems like the 1,000 game mark was a big goal to him and his family. By his own admission he is going to need a hip replacement some time in the future. Hopefully, this summer, common sense and family pressure will convince him to retire. He's had a long and good career. It's not like he were 22 and just starting out. He is literally creating more future problems the more he punishes that hip. Bob absolutely needs to have a summer time come to Jesus meeting and get him to take the medical retirement. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I kinda hate the culture of sports that glorifies this kind of thing. I'm not mad at him, he loves playing and doesn't wanna give it up, but I'm mad at the support system around him. The team, family and friends should have stepped in awhile ago.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Really does make that 2017 run look all that more impressive. Imagine if CryJo had to deal with Kesler on 2 hips. I won't mind him as an overpaid 4C/PKer if he's effective in that role next year, but if not, then he needs to go on LTIR.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
What a beast Kes is. Honestly. The dedication and everything he has to the game is impressive. Truly inspirational.

I'm conflicted, part of me wishes he'd go on LTIR. It'd help solve a lot of our problems, and yet if I'm being honest. Him being used in that 4th line role and monitoring his minutes, he does seem to be playing better/more effective in that time. There's no doubt that he is continuing to look better and I do wonder if another grueling painful offseason workout for him might actually get him back to being a solid 4th liner or productive 3rd liner again.

Reactions: Deuce22
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I kinda hate the culture of sports that glorifies this kind of thing. I'm not mad at him, he loves playing and doesn't wanna give it up, but I'm mad at the support system around him. The team, family and friends should have stepped in awhile ago.
Edited - Never mind, I called this take stupid but I hadn't read the article closely enough. My apologies.

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Kesler is signed for 3 years after this one, right? It might be worth him doing the surgery this season (if he needs a hit replacement or something), then taking all of next year (year 1 of 3) off and maybe part/all of the following year (year 2 of 3). That year 2, maybe half way through he can start skating and practicing if he feels a lot better and using that last half of the year to get back in game shape. Hopefully he can be an effective 4th liner that final year if he wants to keep playing, if not he could hang them up. By that 3rd year, Perry's deal will be gone and Getzlaf will probably be a bit cheaper than that $8 mil+ price tag so even if Kesler plays, Anaheim might be able to absorb that contract better. If he is an effective 4th liner at that point, he might want to come back (at a MUCH cheaper contract) after, but likely retires at the end of year 3.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
I'm actually curious to see if he can continue improving. Guy is an absolute warrior. Wish the entire team showed as much heart as Kes. Rakell, I'm looking at you.

I know it's in the best interest of himself, as well as the Ducks, if he retires. But if the Ducks are open to it, and he's willing to push, it's his body, and he has every right, and I don't blame him for trying.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
did some of you not read the article?

the guy can't even put on his socks or get up from the toilet by himself and you guys want him back? he's done and should've been done after two seasons ago

this isn't something that he can take a season off from and magically get back to 100%

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
He and his "team" definitely need to evaluate things realistically. Can he be an effective player again? How much is he improving month to month, and is that progression going to continue? How much pain will he expect to be in? Is he causing further long-term damage that will be even worse later (not including full hip replacement surgery)?

I mean, in the end, I do agree that he should retire. This sounds awful to deal with, and he's not doing any favors to the Ducks. But if he can expect further improvement and be, say, close to where he was before the hip issues by next year, then maybe?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If it's down to his pain threshold, and it sounds like it is, then obviously it's just a question of whether he still enjoys the game enough to keep doing it. And it sounds like he does, so good on him.

Also, this: “We came up with a game plan,” he says. “And the game plan was build me an ass.”

Reactions: Sean Garrity

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
that article pretty much guarantees he's done after this season IMO.

I feel like an ass for even caring about the cap implications and such in the face of the man's health, but I do, and I think the fact that he is even willing to talk about it in this much detail is a good sign. He's laying the groundwork for taking the LTIR.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Unbelievable. What a warrior. I totally understand where he's coming from: he's living his dream and only gets a small portion of his life to do it so he's going to do everything he can to prolong it. It doesn't help the team but I get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad