SI details Ryan Keslers hip ailment

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Okay that makes sense but even if we signed someone for Kesler contract at the tdl wouldnt that player only boost total salary by (annual salary x % of season) so even though we only have $2 million of additional cap or so at the tdl, we would only need that much at the tdl to sign someone of Keslers contract?

Yeah, I think it's as if Kesler was on the team until the player is acquired. So you can have someone for the same cap hit, just not a more expensive player. So they could sign/trade for a $6.8 mil player, but not a 10 mil player who would be a higher pro rated amount than what the Kesler contract would pay for the rest of the season

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
You have to be careful about when you put anyone on LTIR. If you just put him on LTIR opening day and you weren't going to be over the cap anyway, you don't get to go over the cap later. IOW, you need to carry him on regular IR until you are willing/forced to spend over the cap. That's when you make your deal and put him on LTIR. And if, when you put him on LTIR, you only exceed the cap by say $2M then that's your new cap number for the rest of the year. You don't get to add another $4M later. It gets pretty complicated.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
You have to be careful about when you put anyone on LTIR. If you just put him on LTIR opening day and you weren't going to be over the cap anyway, you don't get to go over the cap later. IOW, you need to carry him on regular IR until you are willing/forced to spend over the cap. That's when you make your deal and put him on LTIR. And if, when you put him on LTIR, you only exceed the cap by say $2M then that's your new cap number for the rest of the year. You don't get to add another $4M later. It gets pretty complicated.

that's a damn important detail that I was never aware of. That cap limit would prorate like it does for the regular cap as the season wore on right? Basically how cap teams can add a large salary at the deadline. Same rules would apply to our situation, correct?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
that's a damn important detail that I was never aware of. That cap limit would prorate like it does for the regular cap as the season wore on right? Basically how cap teams can add a large salary at the deadline. Same rules would apply to our situation, correct?

I don't claim to know all the details (I'm not sure anybody does) but we ran into that a few years ago I think with the Despres situation. We had to wait until part way into the season to actually put him (and I think someone else) on LTIR so as to get the full benefit of the increased allowance.

I know that spending vs the cap is calculated daily and is based on days on the roster, not games played. That's why you see some of the odd looking moves where we send guys back and forth between games. While I know everybody thinks it's just about being cheap, I'm sure a lot of it involves cap management. I believe what you save (against the cap) during the year, does factor into being able to fit a so called large cap hit player late in the year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What happens to the contract if he just retires?

It’s that or LTIR 100% at this point

If he actually retires then he gets paid nothing and the team is free of his contract. And in terms of our cap we would get hit with an incredibly small cap recapture penalty (I’m not going to bother calculating it as it would be minuscule due to Keslers contact not really being front loaded at all).

I would say the chances he retires are basically zero, he’s legitimately hurt so if he goes on the LTIR he still gets paid. If he does hopefully for us that contract is insured.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He deserves the money. The ducks agreed to it and therefore he should milk every penny out of it. I’d do the same for sure.

Good for both sides the way this is going to work out

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think that it is fine to just give Kesler the $ he deserves and begin life after a new hip that should be less painful. Sure we might get dinged on the cap space, but real money is being paid by insurance and the ducks can just max out to the cap in signing players since they would be technically within their internal budget in terms of real money spent. Same thing with Eaves.... However, I do think that Murray should be dinged on his annual bonus as I think he's signed so many of these types of contracts already... Fistric...Souray... common.... he needs to learn from his mistakes.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
We don't know the insurance situation regarding either Kesler or Eaves. It is so expensive to insure players that teams only insure a limited number of them, and often not for the full amount of the salary. If I were to guess, and that is all that it is, I would expect some insurance on Kesler but none on Eaves. Excuse me, the insurance broker would say self insurance on Eaves. Either way it is a disappointment that both players may end their careers with the sorts of injuries/illness that prevents them from playing.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
It really does sound like Kesler has been and still is dictating the situation no matter how much below the par his performance has been based on the comments in the OCR. Perhaps Carlyle gave him even more rope than Murray as his TOI was much bigger during his tenure as the HC. Anyhow, congratulations on hitting 1 000 games, it's not like not having him play would be the difference in this team being a contender this season or not.
Asked after Friday’s morning skate at Pepsi Center whether it would be better to simply shut down Kesler for the remainder of the season, treat his hip during the offseason and regroup for training camp in September, Murray said, “If he were willing to do that, that would be fine. We’ll see.”
Kesler insisted on pushing through to his 1,000th game and Murray wasn’t going to stop him.
“I get why he wanted to do that,” Murray said. “It would have been very difficult to say no.”

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I really hope Kesler doesn’t try to rehab this summer thinking he can play next season. That article made it sound like he is doing himself so much long term damage by continuing to play.

In real life, he is only in his mid 30’s and hopefully has more than enough money to live on. I hope he decides long term quality of life is better than trying to play out another season.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
after reading the SI article its been no surprise that he hasn't played since game 1,001 which was his first game at home after reaching 1k

he worked to get back just to reach 1k so makes no sense for him to play anymore. especially during a lost season like this

Reactions: The Noot

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I really hope Kesler doesn’t try to rehab this summer thinking he can play next season. That article made it sound like he is doing himself so much long term damage by continuing to play.

In real life, he is only in his mid 30’s and hopefully has more than enough money to live on. I hope he decides long term quality of life is better than trying to play out another season.
From what ive read he is already consigned himself to a hip replacement. Is there really any more damage he can do to it?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Kes just needs to stop being a warrior and look at this life past hockey. Absolutely no shame in him going the LTIRetirment route.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
From what ive read he is already consigned himself to a hip replacement. Is there really any more damage he can do to it?
A hip replacement at his age is never a good thing if you plan to live to old age. The longer you can put it off the better. Quality of life beyond hockey should carry some weight at this stage of his career.

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Hip replacement is absolute last resort for a male under 40. I'm not sure what he enjoys doing other than hockey, but I imagine he is a pretty active guy given how athletic he is. If he enjoys anything like skiing, jogging, rock climbing, etc...then hip replacement will be tough news for him. Hopefully he doesn't have to go that route

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Hip replacement is absolute last resort for a male under 40. I'm not sure what he enjoys doing other than hockey, but I imagine he is a pretty active guy given how athletic he is. If he enjoys anything like skiing, jogging, rock climbing, etc...then hip replacement will be tough news for him. Hopefully he doesn't have to go that route
He already can't do any of those things. The SI article says he can't even run on flat ground.

Reactions: GeraldDucksworth

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He already can't do any of those things. The SI article says he can't even run on flat ground.
Eh, I don't buy that if he's been playing NHL hockey on it the last 2 years.

I believe the pain is probably immense though

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
People should read that article again. The doctor literally held his hip together with chewing gum and bailing wire to get him through 77 more games to 1,000. There's nothing to heal. It's not going to get better/normal. It's insane to think he can play on that for 3 more years.

Philippon injected Kesler with 40mg of hyaluronic acid, an anti-inflammatory process called supplementation, and recommended outfitting him for a customized hip brace, which Kesler describes as “for 70-year-olds.”

GeraldDucksworth

Sep 29, 2018
Eh, I don't buy that if he's been playing NHL hockey on it the last 2 years.

I believe the pain is probably immense though
The article said he couldn’t run up a hill, put socks on standing up, sit on the toilet, etc. Do you really think he’s rock climbing and skiing?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The article said he couldn’t run up a hill, put socks on standing up, sit on the toilet, etc. Do you really think he’s rock climbing and skiing?
Not what I said. I think if he wants to have any chance at doing that stuff, hip replacement isn't the answer.

He could be screwed either way though

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
People should read that article again. The doctor literally held his hip together with chewing gum and bailing wire to get him through 77 more games to 1,000. There's nothing to heal. It's not going to get better/normal. It's insane to think he can play on that for 3 more years.

Yeah, he's done. And I don't mean to be offensive, but for the good of the franchise, it looks like he realizes he's done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->