Post-Game Talk: Shutout

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I think the powerplay alone is a reason why Blashill should be fired. Even with a lack of talent, you can still have a better strategy.

The probability that a team could fail 51 consecutive times on the power play, given an average power play scoring rate of 17.5% (approximate league average) is 0.005%. That is about 1 in 20000. Blashill is really managing to buck the odds in ways almost unthinkable.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Name for me the players on the Red Wings that are earning their salary and producing as expected this season.

I'd like to see that list.

Jimmy Howard

My list would add

Mantha (863k)
Ouellet (715k)
Ott (800k)
Larkin (925k) - even though he hasn't been very great, he's cheap af

Cheap players that don't need to do much to earn their little money.
Glendening makes 625k this season, I guess he can be with his 625 even though he's played above his station.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
My list would add

Mantha (863k)
Ouellet (715k)
Ott (800k)
Larkin (925k) - even though he hasn't been very great, he's cheap af

Cheap players that don't need to do much to earn their little money.
Glendening makes 625k this season, I guess he can be with his 625 even though he's played above his station.

Vanek (2.6m)
Green (6m)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I nominate you for the fan having seen the least games, obviously. But cheers to that.
Probably means that you've got more time for more important stuff than seeing this team to suck.

I watch every game, nice try though. Hilarious how you take my opinion personally and get all offended because I said something bad about a Swede.

Please, enlighten me on the wonderful things he brings to the table. I will admit I am a Nyquist critic, so based on this I watch him closely. He is full on useless.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Did you meet him and he was an ******* to you or something? Because I literally have no idea where these opinions come from otherwise.

These opinions come from watching him play...? Watch Nyquist closely tonight. He can't win a puck battle to save his life. I guess I should not have questioned his effort, so I was wrong there. He's just no that good at hockey at the NHL level. He looks like a house-leaguer compared to other NHL players. He is on the team to score goals, and be a consistent producer. He is currently on pace for 8 goals :shakehead

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I watch every game, nice try though. Hilarious how you take my opinion personally and get all offended because I said something bad about a Swede.

Please, enlighten me on the wonderful things he brings to the table. I will admit I am a Nyquist critic, so based on this I watch him closely. He is full on useless.

How about you starting to give some hard facts about your standpoint? I just took the weak opening line that you picked without giving anything to back it up.
Many "critics" on Gus are just written in big hyperbolic letters. And if claims are made, about him having zero hockey iq or suchlike, I seriously doubt if that person has seen more than a sample size of his games.

Over & over I've to make clear that I'm not satisfied about his recent play either.
At the same time, I'm not starting to question all the skills that he shows when not slumping.

On a further note, I've got no problem with you being a Gus critic at all. I just don't consider criticism like that above fair. And last but not least,
I don't give a rat's ass if he Swede, Finish, Slovakian or whatever. I see criticism about a player that I don't get at all, I react.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think the powerplay alone is a reason why Blashill should be fired. Even with a lack of talent, you can still have a better strategy.

I think it is the strongest argument and where Blash is most culpable. What do you do, however, if it doesn't start to improve next year (presumably under a different coach)? At what point exactly do you start looking at the players?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
How about you starting to give some hard facts about your standpoint? I just took the weak opening line that you picked without giving anything to back it up.
Many "critics" on Gus are just written in big hyperbolic letters. And if claims are made, about him having zero hockey iq or suchlike, I seriously doubt if that person has seen more than a sample size of his games.

Over & over I've to make clear that I'm not satisfied about his recent play either.
At the same time, I'm not starting to question all the skills that he shows when not slumping.

On a further note, I've got no problem with you being a Gus critic at all. I just don't consider criticism like that above fair. And last but not least,
I don't give a rat's ass if he Swede, Finish, Slovakian or whatever. I see criticism about a player that I don't get at all, I react.

Fact: Nyquist has scored 5 goals in his last 53 games :shakehead
Fact: Nyquist has scored 7 goals in his last 70 games :shakehead
Fact: Nyquist has scored 9 goals in his last 86 games :shakehead

Fact: Nyquist is getting paid a nice salary to score goals.
Fact: Nyquist is receiving far more ice time than what 4th liners get, and is producing like a 4th liner. (1 goal every 10 games)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
And do you see me arguing about that being satisfying? At the same time, he changed his playing style - guess you don't acknowledge
what he's doing aside from that scoring issue. Plus we've got a PP sucking like hell. A PP that he relied heavily on in regard to goals.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I guess the Wings new streak can be how long they'll go without scoring a PP goal on the road.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
And do you see me arguing about that being satisfying? At the same time, he changed his playing style - guess you don't acknowledge
what he's doing aside from that scoring issue. Plus we've got a PP sucking like hell. A PP that he relied heavily on in regard to goals.

What does he do to help the team aside from scoring?

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
So as I was at work sweating my balls off and dealing with a ***** from high school I hoped to never see him or his nose I rearranged years back again I started to wonder.... do we even have hope that blashill will get fired or he will get a hall pass for a couple seasons?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fact: Nyquist has scored 5 goals in his last 53 games :shakehead
Fact: Nyquist has scored 7 goals in his last 70 games :shakehead
Fact: Nyquist has scored 9 goals in his last 86 games :shakehead

Fact: Nyquist is getting paid a nice salary to score goals.
Fact: Nyquist is receiving far more ice time than what 4th liners get, and is producing like a 4th liner. (1 goal every 10 games)

So goals are all that matters... not points... not assist... just goals?

And you know that he is getting paid solely to score goals?

Interesting points...

I'd really like to hear your opinion on Danny Dekeyser making 5 million for his 6 pts and -9 rating in 38 games, then.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Making thinks happen. Creating offense. Improving his defensive plays.

I'll agree to disagree. I don't see him creating much out there at all, and when he does have a scoring chance, he seems to aim right at the goalie's crest, or sail the shot 3 feet wide. I also don't see him doing much defensively either. I'm not saying he's a liability defensively, but he's definitely not an asset there either.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'll agree to disagree. I don't see him creating much out there at all, and when he does have a scoring chance, he seems to aim right at the goalie's crest, or sail the shot 3 feet wide. I also don't see him doing much defensively either. I'm not saying he's a liability defensively, but he's definitely not an asset there either.

He's decent enough on defense imho but the lack of offense is very troubling.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Interesting points...

I'd really like to hear your opinion on Danny Dekeyser making 5 million for his 6 pts and -9 rating in 38 games, then.

When you are being paid to be an offensive leader, then yes, goals are a huge part. What else does he bring to the team when he isn't scoring? Honestly, what am I missing here? I watch him very closely every game, and it seems I shake my head after 90% of his shifts.

He doesn't hit, doesn't play stellar defense, doesn't get under the opponents skin, doesn't have leadership qualities, doesn't kill penalties, isn't contributing on the PP, doesn't win big faceoffs. What does he do?

To answer your question on Dekeyser, he is overpaid. Not his fault though, the organization is playing him as if he's a #1 D, when in reality he's a solid #3.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When you are being paid to be an offensive leader, then yes, goals are a huge part. What else does he bring to the team when he isn't scoring? Honestly, what am I missing here? I watch him very closely every game, and it seems I shake my head after 90% of his shifts.

He doesn't hit, doesn't play stellar defense, doesn't get under the opponents skin, doesn't have leadership qualities, doesn't kill penalties, isn't contributing on the PP, doesn't win big faceoffs. What does he do?

To answer your question on Dekeyser, he is overpaid. Not his fault though, the organization is playing him as if he's a #1 D, when in reality he's a solid #3.

Playmaking? He's on pace for his best assist total ever. He is tied for 2nd in assists on this team.

But let me guess, that's worthless.... because Nyquist.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Interesting points...

Goals matter a lot imo. How many times have we seen players on this team pass up shots to set up another player but the play ends up messed up? If players like Nyquist (who are expected to score) were taking more and better shots, it would help us tremendously imo. It would help if these guys could hit the net as well. With Nyquist nearing 30 goals, I expected him to be a steady 25 goal scorer. He's just not doing it. Same can be said with Tatar.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Playmaking? He's on pace for his best assist total ever. He is tied for 2nd in assists on this team.

By like what, 3 assists? It's not by much just from what I could figure by quickly looking at the numbers. It certainly doesn't make up for the lack of goals I can tell you that much.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

4 assists in his last 17 games doesn't really help his case...

17 0 4 4 -8

That's his stat line the past 17 games. While continuing to play good minutes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
4 assists in his last 17 games doesn't really help his case...

17 0 4 4 -8

That's his stat line the past 17 games. While continuing to play good minutes.

Nice...

dt_131216_cherry_picking_fruit_250x188.jpg

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
These opinions come from watching him play...? Watch Nyquist closely tonight. He can't win a puck battle to save his life. I guess I should not have questioned his effort, so I was wrong there. He's just no that good at hockey at the NHL level. He looks like a house-leaguer compared to other NHL players. He is on the team to score goals, and be a consistent producer. He is currently on pace for 8 goals :shakehead

You are a very poor evaluator of NHL talent...or really dramatic. This board seems to suffer from both maladies these days. Even though he is struggling to produce (like everyone else on this roster), Gus is still one of our most skilled forwards. While he will never be elite, he is still very useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad