Post-Game Talk: Shutout

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Hahahaha, what a morning. Waking up to my co-worker calling saying he won't come to work, and it's -15 outside. Sweden got owned by Canada and the wings got shutout. What a wonderful day this has been so far....

You might as well call off too. :)

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Maybe we have a roster full of players that just aren't very good?

Then we either have a coach who fails to coach players or a front office who fails at acquiring/retaining players. Either way, the problem is not the players, they are just a symptom.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Then we either have a coach who fails to coach players or a front office who fails at acquiring/retaining players. Either way, the problem is not the players, they are just a symptom.

Well it is on he players when,you have a big body like Ericsson and Sheehan and don't use the size to your advantage.

At least Mantha has talent. I don't want him to use his,body as much as someone like Sheehan should. Mantha still is that third on the team in fighting majors in,his short season.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
to the poster in the game day thread who said Nyquist sucks.

Ya I created a thread saying he sucks and has zero hockey IQ. I got roasted pretty hard. Carful around here with Gus

Ya, you got roasted for saying he's got zero hockey IQ. Not for hinting at some "he sucks" moments.
And if you're still not getting it that he didn't lose his hockey IQ over night, I don't know what to tell you anymore...

What the game concerns: Another low scoring game that is decided by our awful PP in the first place. Congrats.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
No kronwall? Well the defense has just improved.
:laugh: actually yes. I do not see a problem in losing kronwall. He played great vs Florida though.
Too many people fail,to realize this.

I mean you have injury prone guys getting hurt, SURPRISE!
Then you have a roster full of untalented players. We have mantha, larkin, dekeyser and a few other young defenseman, Howard and mrazek.
We do not have a single elite player in his prime. The lone elite player we have is Z, that's it.

How do you get those elite players? You just order them on e-bay or?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

People blame Holland for his inability to draft hall of fame players in the later rounds in the post-Nick Lidstrom era. I don't think that's fair, personally.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
:laugh: actually yes. I do not see a problem in losing kronwall. He played great vs Florida though.

We do not have a single elite player in his prime. The lone elite player we have is Z, that's it.

Z isn't elite. He is far past his prime. Good? Yes! He is still a good veteran player who is smart. But he isn't elite. He can not carry a team any more. But that's the problem he has to play too line minutes when really he should be second or third lines,minutes and never used in a PK.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
People blame Holland for his inability to draft hall of fame players in the later rounds in the post-Nick Lidstrom era. I don't think that's fair, personally.

Or his inability to move one of the 50 thousand prospect for an elite player.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016
I'm lost for words with management and coaching. How can you be this inept and in denial to not do anything. they aren't even beating a dead horse anymore. The horse is dirt

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
M

Claypool you're not telling the truth

People blame KH for still thinking he can draft hall of fame players in the later rounds in the post nick lidstrom era.

That is fait and he should be roasted for it.

Last edited:

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
at least Mrazek played well. Gibson may have gotten the shutout, but Mrazek was the best goalie on the ice.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I may be mistaken, but I believe there's only 25 current HOFers that wasn't picked in the 1st round, and only 9 of those were 100th overall or later.

If anybody is banking on Holland(or any GM for that matter) to draft even one HOFer outside the 1st round, let alone the later rounds, might be waiting awhile.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
If one guy doesn't perform the problem is that guy. If half the team doesn't perform the problem isn't with the players.

My thought exactly. The team is not responding. Not just 1-2 guys, but the whole team. They just seem not to care. Someone has to light a new fire under their collective behind.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Jeff "Who needs offense" Blashill.

Benches our players who can make stuff happen.

Such as?

Also, anyone ready to eat some crow on Nyquist's production? There were a few of us saying all along that his over reliance the PP to pad his stats would end at some point. And now that the PP is dead he's on pace for 38 points and 8 goals. Not really worth 5 million dollars. This isn't to say that he won't pick it up, but until Detroit's PP comes back to life, he will continue to be ****.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Didn't watch the game but it's not just that Blashill isn't getting the best out his players - it's that he's getting the worst out of them.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Of course not, the only guys who see the press box/lose playing time for not being perfect are AA and Sproul.

AA hasn't been good for awhile. He's been very weak on the puck and his defensive game has been pretty much nonexistent. Why have another Nyquist?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Such as?

Also, anyone ready to eat some crow on Nyquist's production? There were a few of us saying all along that his over reliance the PP to pad his stats would end at some point. And now that the PP is dead he's on pace for 38 points and 8 goals. Not really worth 5 million dollars. This isn't to say that he won't pick it up, but until Detroit's PP comes back to life, he will continue to be ****.

Nyquist's ES production is in a group of pretty darn good players. Are we blaming him for the poor powerplay or what? Considering how horrible the Wings power play is regardless of who they put out there, I'm not sure I buy having any one player shoulder that blame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad