Post-Game Talk: Shutout

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
From the sounds of thing, it's the wrong year to be chasing a top 5 pick. Weak talent pool.
I think a handful of players improved their stock considerably at the WJC. Based on the talent evaluations thus far, I'll take any of the top-5 rated players over yet another meaningless first round exit.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Vanek is the only guy who looked decent last night. Hopefully we can trade a few guys at the TDL to acquire either draft picks or prospects. I don't really trust Holland given his recent draft history, but you figure with more at bats he's gotta eventually draft a good player.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Vanek is the only guy who looked decent last night. Hopefully we can trade a few guys at the TDL to acquire either draft picks or prospects. I don't really trust Holland given his recent draft history, but you figure with more at bats he's gotta eventually draft a good player.

Jurco had a good game. Won some puck battles, set up some plays, had a couple looks.

Mrazek had a decent game. His goals were all off of insanely dumb turnovers. But his rebound control was lacking and scary. His athleticism bailed him out a couple times.

Mantha was decent but not up to his usual standards based on what he's shown so far this year.

That's about it though. Don't think anyone on the back end had a good game.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Hahahaha, what a morning. Waking up to my co-worker calling saying he won't come to work, and it's -15 outside. Sweden got owned by Canada and the wings got shutout. What a wonderful day this has been so far....

There is always whiskey

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
2 questionable goals.

Their 1 was icing.
Our goal was maybe interference, but both goals against us.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
How do you get those elite players? You just order them on e-bay or?

46 players in the NHL has scored more points than Henrik Zetterberg. Of those 46 players, 24 (more than half) could have been Red Wings, which means players drafted below pick number 25 in any given draft or players who have changed teams at least once. The remaining 22 were all drafted higher than pick 25 (I didn't check if any of them were drafted after a Red Wing player or after a pick owned by the Red Wings) and have never changed teams.

So there has been ample opportunity.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
AA hasn't been good for awhile. He's been very weak on the puck and his defensive game has been pretty much nonexistent. Why have another Nyquist?

Sitting him in the press box/slashing his minutes isn't going to help that.

But more to the point, Sheahan has been ineffective in every single way, all season. He's shown no improvement over the course of his career, and has regressed hard recently. Yet he'll never go to the press box. AA makes a mistake and immediately sees his ice time cut by 25% or more. Sproul makes a mistake and sits in the press box for weeks so we can watch Brian "No Future" Lashoff get some key ice time that will never change the fact that he's not an NHL player.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
46 players in the NHL has scored more points than Henrik Zetterberg. Of those 46 players, 24 (more than half) could have been Red Wings, which means players drafted below pick number 25 in any given draft or players who have changed teams at least once. The remaining 22 were all drafted higher than pick 25 (I didn't check if any of them were drafted after a Red Wing player or after a pick owned by the Red Wings) and have never changed teams.

So there has been ample opportunity.

Z was a 7th rounder if I remember right. No team is succeeds more than 30% drafting and developing players.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Jurco had a good game. Won some puck battles, set up some plays, had a couple looks.

Mrazek had a decent game. His goals were all off of insanely dumb turnovers. But his rebound control was lacking and scary. His athleticism bailed him out a couple times.

Mantha was decent but not up to his usual standards based on what he's shown so far this year.

That's about it though. Don't think anyone on the back end had a good game.

Agreed, Mrazek was fine. Was mostly mentioning skaters. Mantha was pretty much invisible which is too bad.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Such as?

Also, anyone ready to eat some crow on Nyquist's production? There were a few of us saying all along that his over reliance the PP to pad his stats would end at some point. And now that the PP is dead he's on pace for 38 points and 8 goals. Not really worth 5 million dollars. This isn't to say that he won't pick it up, but until Detroit's PP comes back to life, he will continue to be ****.
38 points really isn't that awful when it's almost nothing but ES production. I find it somewhat sad to see the version of Nyquist we're seeing now, compared to the guy we saw in his first 2 seasons, but he's still getting okay production. With a mediocre PP, he'd be right on pace for around 50 points.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Such as?

Also, anyone ready to eat some crow on Nyquist's production? There were a few of us saying all along that his over reliance the PP to pad his stats would end at some point. And now that the PP is dead he's on pace for 38 points and 8 goals. Not really worth 5 million dollars. This isn't to say that he won't pick it up, but until Detroit's PP comes back to life, he will continue to be ****.

Name for me the players on the Red Wings that are earning their salary and producing as expected this season.

I'd like to see that list.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
2 questionable goals.

Their 1 was icing.
Our goal was maybe interference, but both goals against us.

All I know is that interference is like the NFL with catches. So inconsistent that no one knows if it will be a good goal or not. One game you can slide tackle into the goalie and kick it in and thats a goal. Last game crashing the net for a rebound is interference.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Z's post-game is pretty revealing.

"We keep doing the same things, it's not working"
"We keep trying, keep working on it. Running the same plays."

If the powerplay struggles for 40 games you can't just keep trying the same things thinking it will finally click. You have to change it up.

burrythebiscuit*

Mar 6, 2016

If the powerplay struggles for 40 games you can't just keep trying the same things thinking it will finally click. You have to change it up.

That would be the logical thing to do. And I think they are running extremely low on that

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
to the poster in the game day thread who said Nyquist sucks.

Ya I created a thread saying he sucks and has zero hockey IQ. I got roasted pretty hard. Carful around here with Gus

I nominate Nyquist for the most useless player in the NHL this season. He literally brings nothing to the team. At least Sheahan tries hard, and competes, and wins puck battles. If Sheahan isn't scoring, he at least battles hard and competes. Nyquist is the opposite. He's not scoring, he is doing nothing to help the team. Trade him for anything at this point. I'd be fine with a 3rd rounder just to get him off the team.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I think the powerplay alone is a reason why Blashill should be fired. Even with a lack of talent, you can still have a better strategy.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I nominate Nyquist for the most useless player in the NHL this season. He literally brings nothing to the team. At least Sheahan tries hard, and competes, and wins puck battles. If Sheahan isn't scoring, he at least battles hard and competes. Nyquist is the opposite. He's not scoring, he is doing nothing to help the team. Trade him for anything at this point. I'd be fine with a 3rd rounder just to get him off the team.

I nominate you for the fan having seen the least games, obviously. But cheers to that.
Probably means that you've got more time for more important stuff than seeing this team to suck.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Did you meet him and he was an ******* to you or something? Because I literally have no idea where these opinions come from otherwise.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Vanek is equally trash. How long until people realize he just had a hot start and not playing incredible hockey night in night out. Thought he was one of our worst players last night

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Wait, Sheahan tries and wins puck battles? If he isn't scoring? Sheahan is in the running for the softest player on the team and, this season especially, has worse hands than Helm. This has to be satire, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad