dt_131216_cherry_picking_fruit_250x188.jpg

Facts are facts man.

17 games
no goals
4 assists

Ugly any way you look at it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You are a very poor evaluator of NHL talent...or really dramatic. This board seems to suffer from both maladies these days. Even though he is struggling to produce (like everyone else on this roster), Gus is still one of our most skilled forwards. While he will never be elite, he is still very useful.

How is he useful? Back your statement up with something...anything?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Facts are facts man.

17 games
no goals
4 assists

Ugly any way you look at it.

Yup.. and still 2nd in assists for the team. And still on pace for his best assist total ever. Those are also facts.

But I'll join in on the cherry-picking fun...

Larkin has 4 assists in his last 38 games. Tatar had 4 goals in the first 30 games of this season.

Do I think any of them are trash, and am I mad at any of them? Nope. Whole team has been crap this year.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You are a very poor evaluator of NHL talent...or really dramatic. This board seems to suffer from both maladies these days. Even though he is struggling to produce (like everyone else on this roster), Gus is still one of our most skilled forwards. While he will never be elite, he is still very useful.

I beg to differ. You can't be "very useful" with his goal totals unless he's doing other things remarkably well, which is not happening imo. Yes he's a skilled player, but maybe, just maybe, this team needs a new direction when it comes with the type of players needed for this team to succeed.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Zone entries, cycling, setting up teammates, puck posession in general.

You can't possibly be serious. You just listed qualities that are horrible for this team. If Nyquist was so good at these things, we wouldn't be missing Datsyuk as much as we are. (he was great at these qualities)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can't possibly be serious. You just listed qualities that are horrible for this team. If Nyquist was so good at these things, we wouldn't be missing Datsyuk as much as we are. (he was great at these qualities)

Yes I am. Just because the team is bad at them doesn't mean everyone on the team is bad at them. Nyquist is not.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yes I am. Just because the team is bad at them doesn't mean everyone on the team is bad at them. Nyquist is not.

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I don't see where he does these things so well that it makes up for his lack of scoring which was the original argument I believe. Either way, hes still not helping the team play better even if you say he does these things well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I don't see where he does these things so well that it makes up for his lack of scoring which was the original argument I believe. Either way, hes still not helping the team play better even if you say he does these things well.

Well it was two separate points.

wingzz suggested he brings NOTHING else to the table. That's not true, and I listed the other things he is good at.

Good enough to justify his lack of scoring? No. I don't think that's true. Again, it was two separate points.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I didn't watch the game but...

Are you guys seriously telling me putting Ott on the power play and healthy scratching Athanasiou didn't cause the Wings to score more goals?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well it was two separate points.

wingzz suggested he brings NOTHING else to the table. That's not true, and I listed the other things he is good at.

Good enough to justify his lack of scoring? No. I don't think that's true. Again, it was two separate points.

Fair enough

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I didn't watch the game but...

Are you guys seriously telling me putting Ott on the power play and healthy scratching Athanasiou didn't cause the Wings to score more goals?

Yeah, I thought that would work for sure.:confused: I wonder if the coaching staff has any other brilliant ideas:laugh: Maybe we could put Glendening and Miller with Ott on the power play? Guess it can't be much worse than it is now.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Fun fact, in 16 less games played, Abdelkader is tied with Gustav Nyquist in goals and only has 10 less assists this season. Nyquist earns more money because he is paid to score more goals, not to hit, not to fight, not to muck it up in front of the net, not to PK, but to score more goals...

I don't think the poster is cherry picking at all. Nyquist (and Tatar) have not lived up to their respective contacts and are big factors why this team isn't winning.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Fact: Nyquist has scored 5 goals in his last 53 games :shakehead
Fact: Nyquist has scored 7 goals in his last 70 games :shakehead
Fact: Nyquist has scored 9 goals in his last 86 games :shakehead

Fact: Nyquist is getting paid a nice salary to score goals.
Fact: Nyquist is receiving far more ice time than what 4th liners get, and is producing like a 4th liner. (1 goal every 10 games)

Last game and another game he skates behind the goal instead of waiting for the rebound. Just there he would at least have a shot and a great scoring chance.
I think he should play some shifts with Z and Mantha, it could get him going.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Fun fact, in 16 less games played, Abdelkader is tied with Gustav Nyquist in goals and only has 10 less assists this season. Nyquist earns more money because he is paid to score more goals, not to hit, not to fight, not to muck it up in front of the net, not to PK, but to score more goals...

I don't think the poster is cherry picking at all. Nyquist (and Tatar) have not lived up to their respective contacts and are big factors why this team isn't winning.

Tatar has lived up to his 2.75x3 contract. He lived up to it in the first year of it when he scored 29 goals and 56 points, last year too at 21 and 45, hell disappointing year thus far but 40 points is worth ~ 2.75 mil.

Tatar hasn't lived up to expectations, and he's hurting his pocketbook right now. But he's certainly worth the money he's paid.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yeah, I thought that would work for sure.:confused: I wonder if the coaching staff has any other brilliant ideas:laugh: Maybe we could put Glendening and Miller with Ott on the power play? Guess it can't be much worse than it is now.

I have the most fantastic solution and I guarantee it will work.

Read now folks and learn.

As soon as we get PP one of our players has to rough up opponents and negate the PP. This is the only way we can avoid the embarrassment of the century :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry guys I just had to. This has come to the point where we cringe when we get PP. Beyond pathetic.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Playmaking? He's on pace for his best assist total ever. He is tied for 2nd in assists on this team.

But let me guess, that's worthless.... because Nyquist.

Really? Had no idea. Interesting.

Anyways, Gus is my second favorite Wing atm, so I'm easy on him. I think he can bring a lot more than he's doing. I believe him being 60P player is absolutely plausible.

It's just the team sucks. The pp was his bread and butter - and that sucks too. It's obvious his struggles stem from the lack of team offense.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I have the most fantastic solution and I guarantee it will work.

Read now folks and learn.

As soon as we get PP one of our players has to rough up opponents and negate the PP. This is the only way we can avoid the embarrassment of the century :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry guys I just had to. This has come to the point where we cringe when we get PP. Beyond pathetic.

I was gonna suggest begging the league to impliment a rule change where a team can decline the PP, kinda like football.

But seeing that in just under 40 minutes of 4-on-4 play this year, we've scored a goal and allowed only a goal(while only being outshot 15-14 too), this could actually work, without the league changing anything. lol

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Really? Had no idea. Interesting.

Anyways, Gus is my second favorite Wing atm, so I'm easy on him. I think he can bring a lot more than he's doing. I believe him being 60P player is absolutely plausible.

It's just the team sucks. The pp was his bread and butter - and that sucks too. It's obvious his struggles stem from the lack of team offense.

Thing is...he hasn't been bad at ES. His (and Tatar's) ES production is on par with guys like Getzlaf, Giroux, and Skinner this season. Our miserable power play, which they are a part of, granted, is where their point totals are taking a massive hit. But our powerplay has been bad regardless of what we've done or who we have put out there.

At this point I'd be tempted to run 11 forwards out there and use Sproul for two minutes on every power play. Even if he sits the entire rest of the game, if he can provide any sort of competency to our power play unit it would be worth it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I was gonna suggest begging the league to impliment a rule change where a team can decline the PP, kinda like football.

But seeing that in just under 40 minutes of 4-on-4 play this year, we've scored a goal and allowed only a goal(while only being outshot 15-14 too), this could actually work, without the league changing anything. lol

Blashill seems clueless, so the players have to take care of the business. And as I suggested earlier I want them to play nasty, here is the chance. Just hit any opponent in the face as soon as we get PP and everything will be fine :laugh::laugh::laugh:
We lose our PP, opponent gets smacked and maybe a fight. Win-win-win situation :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thing is...he hasn't been bad at ES. His (and Tatar's) ES production is on par with guys like Getzlaf, Giroux, and Skinner this season. Our miserable power play, which they are a part of, granted, is where their point totals are taking a massive hit. But our powerplay has been bad regardless of what we've done or who we have put out there.

At this point I'd be tempted to run 11 forwards out there and use Sproul for two minutes on every power play. Even if he sits the entire rest of the game, if he can provide any sort of competency to our power play unit it would be worth it.

Green?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Put them both out there, what do we really have to lose? Our power play is weak, it doesn't move the puck well, it needs help, and these are the two best guys we have at it on the blueline. Put Green on his normal side, Sproul on his offside to free up his one timer, Mantha and Vanek up front with Z and let it ride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad