Should we trade for Puljujarvi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Oilers Seeking Pick And Prospect For Jesse Puljujarvi

If they want a top 9 guy with term, why not offer jarnkrok and a first? Or we could even offer Turris if they wanted him. I think Puljujarvi has a lot of untapped potential and is still very young, a lot of players do not fair well in Edmonton, maybe this could be a steal for us, or whoever else trades for him.

I also think with fellow countrymen like Saros and Rinne for example, that would help him fit right in. Pekka would be given the upmost respect by Puljujarvi and I think that would really help a lot with his development.

We do not really need Jarnkrok/Turris anyways, and our first is most likely low, not going to be getting a player of Puljujarvi's talent most likely.

Any thoughts on this?

Nope if we are going to take a chance on a Finnish kid, I would much prefer it be Tolvanen than Puljujarvi. He's free and looks better than Puljujarvi IMO.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Nope if we are going to take a chance on a Finnish kid, I would much prefer it be Tolvanen than Puljujarvi. He's free and looks better than Puljujarvi IMO.

Or take a chance on both and potentially have 2 stud Finnish wingers and it would only cost us a surplus from our perspective.

Reactions: NNCbama

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Question 1-Who is Puljujarvi? He’s never really done anything yet.
Question 2-If he didn’t play for a Canadian team would anybody be talking about him?
He’s big; so far that’s about it and with his high of 16 minutes in penalties he’s not exactly running around looking for somebody to hit.
Sorta looks like he’s all potential; no performance.
With Preds roster stacked with players they don’t have a place for a potential player.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Or take a chance on both and potentially have 2 stud Finnish wingers and it would only cost us a surplus from our perspective.

I don't look at either of the guys you mentioned as surplus, they both have a pretty important role to play if this team is to be successful. We already have a glut of right handed forwards and Puljujarvi is basically a more talented but much less proven Craig Smith, so just not sure where the benefit is. Also remember Tolvanen was the 30th pick a couple of years ago and looking over the last few drafts there are a bunch of players picked around that late that I would take over Puljujarvi in a heartbeat, including Tolvanen. If the price was Salomaki and 3rd, then sure roll the dice. A 1st and roster player for an unproven prospect who is trying to force his way out of town, nope.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't look at either of the guys you mentioned as surplus, they both have a pretty important role to play if this team is to be successful. We already have a glut of right handed forwards and Puljujarvi is basically a more talented but much less proven Craig Smith, so just not sure where the benefit is. Also remember Tolvanen was the 30th pick a couple of years ago and looking over the last few drafts there are a bunch of players picked around that late that I would take over Puljujarvi in a heartbeat, including Tolvanen. If the price was Salomaki and 3rd, then sure roll the dice. A 1st and roster player for an unproven prospect who is trying to force his way out of town, nope.

Fair enough, I mean I get your side of the coin for sure. I guess I just do not see turris as anything more than a surplus. If he was bad last season, I feel like he will be a lot worse playing with less talented wingers. Ryjo and MD95 are the top two centres obviously. Bonino is third line and Sissons is fourth. Just do not see the fit with Turris. If we can get value now (whether Puljujarvi fails or succeeds), then I say do it. Would sure suck if turris has a worse year and still has that big cap hit.

Jarnkrok I feel the same, I mean he is not playing top six and our bottom six is crowded big time, he’s cheap and can play centre or wing so that should be appealing to the oilers.

It’s a roll of the dice for sure, but if it does not pan out, it is not like it kills our team really at all.

I also really think, as I mentioned already, that having guys like Granlund, Rinne, Saros, Tolvanen around would help him feel more comfortable and maybe help tap his potential.

Who knows, but I think it’s worth a shot. To each their own.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Feel like Poiles plan for Turris is pretty simple, he either plays better or he leaves him unprotected for the draft with hope they take him one way or another.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see why it can't be both of them. Eventually. And anyway, we're not really "taking a chance" on Tolvanen --- he's already in house and progressing. Puljujarvi is the only gamble here. And I'd frankly leave him in Finland for this season. He needs to get his game back together and show he's recovered from his surgery. Playing for Karpat will be entirely fine for him this year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Question 1-Who is Puljujarvi? He’s never really done anything yet.
Question 2-If he didn’t play for a Canadian team would anybody be talking about him?
He’s big; so far that’s about it and with his high of 16 minutes in penalties he’s not exactly running around looking for somebody to hit.
Sorta looks like he’s all potential; no performance.
With Preds roster stacked with players they don’t have a place for a potential player.
People would talk about him, because he was a #4 overall draft pick, and until Columbus kind of surprised with Dubois, he was hyped as #2/3 with Laine. He has a very high prospect pedigree... higher than any player we've had in our system since Seth Jones. So people are going to talk about him, for sure. In the 2016 WJC he led the tournament in scoring - ahead of Laine, Matthews, Aho, Tkachuk. He was seen as a player on the order of those guys. That's first line, near-franchise player potential. That's too good a resume to give up on after 3 years stuck in an organization that is somewhat notorious for not developing players well.

Now, some players do bust, even with that kind of resume, and Puljujarvi could turn out to be one such rarity. Especially with his health issues clouding the picture. But then that's why we are even able to talk about giving up a #3C for him... otherwise you never get a sniff at those kinds of players unless you have a high lottery draft pick.

I like Bonino, but I don't think he does a lot more for us than Sissons does. At most we have 2 years left of Bonino, and a fully capable #3C replacement in Sissons already in hand. And we talk about needing to let one of Smith or Granlund walk next summer so that we can fit Josi's extension under the cap. Well, if Bonino is traded instead, maybe we don't have to lose one of those guys. I think the stars are aligned nicely for us here. It's a rare conjunction of opportunities. I mean, I don't know if Edmonton would do this, but I think we'd be crazy not to take this chance.

My only caveat is if there is "behind the scenes" stuff with Puljujarvi that go deeper than the up-front red flags the fan sees. If there are serious questions about his attitude, maturity, ability to recover from his surgeries, etc... I mean REAL things beyond fan gossip... those are data points we don't have which could still tip the balance against a deal. But lacking that inside information, I think we'd be crazy not to pursue this trade. It is a gamble we are in a great position to take.

And frankly what I'd do is if we have to take Gagner back to balance cap, I'd be inclined to bury him and save that extra $1.075M... that would bring our cap space up to a shade over $3M. With that, we could sign Boyle and still have a comfortable cushion. Leave Puljujarvi in Finland to try to get himself back on track, and add Boyle for size and leadership for this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Feel like Poiles plan for Turris is pretty simple, he either plays better or he leaves him unprotected for the draft with hope they take him one way or another.
It would be difficult to imagine how Turris ends up being our best unprotected player in the expansion draft, though. I think Poile is better off hoping that Turris can somehow have a just-good-enough season that he can trade him without taking a loss. But if he's still around when expansion time rolls around, he's probably at the Albatross level by then, and there's no way Seattle is going to take him. :(

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Fair enough, I mean I get your side of the coin for sure. I guess I just do not see turris as anything more than a surplus. If he was bad last season, I feel like he will be a lot worse playing with less talented wingers. Ryjo and MD95 are the top two centres obviously. Bonino is third line and Sissons is fourth. Just do not see the fit with Turris. If we can get value now (whether Puljujarvi fails or succeeds), then I say do it. Would sure suck if turris has a worse year and still has that big cap hit.

Jarnkrok I feel the same, I mean he is not playing top six and our bottom six is crowded big time, he’s cheap and can play centre or wing so that should be appealing to the oilers.

It’s a roll of the dice for sure, but if it does not pan out, it is not like it kills our team really at all.

I also really think, as I mentioned already, that having guys like Granlund, Rinne, Saros, Tolvanen around would help him feel more comfortable and maybe help tap his potential.

IMO Bonino and Sissons are better together than apart, and Turris, Duchene, Johansen is the type of center depth we have longed for since the Preds started. If I am going to break that up it will be for something much more proven than Puljujarvi. In three seasons Puljujarvi has yet to outpoint Jarnkrok and he is much less versatile, so just not sure how that helps the Preds now.

I don't see why it can't be both of them. Eventually. And anyway, we're not really "taking a chance" on Tolvanen --- he's already in house and progressing. Puljujarvi is the only gamble here. And I'd frankly leave him in Finland for this season. He needs to get his game back together and show he's recovered from his surgery. Playing for Karpat will be entirely fine for him this year.

Why would we give up a roster player and a first round pick for a player who wouldn't even help us while we are trying to compete? He would also need to be protected in the expansion draft unless you wanted to give all that up for one year of him once he gets back from Europe.

Reactions: adsfan

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I am a bit surprised at how low some people are rating Jarnkrok. I know his production dropped a bit last season, but a lot of these comments seem to be making him out to be a Gaudreau or Salomaki level of player. Even in a relatively down season for him last year he still put up 25 points and has the upside of putting up 35 points all while giving you solid penalty killing and the ability to play anywhere in the lineup in a pinch. I don't think having a surplus of depth guys like him is necessarily a bad thing, especially when we saw how easily a team can get ravaged by injuries last season.

Reactions: Viqsi

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why would we give up a roster player and a first round pick for a player who wouldn't even help us while we are trying to compete? He would also need to be protected in the expansion draft unless you wanted to give all that up for one year of him once he gets back from Europe.
What? No, I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for him. We are only talking about giving up Bonino for him. And we will not have Bonino after the expansion draft either.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I am a bit surprised at how low some people are rating Jarnkrok. I know his production dropped a bit last season, but a lot of these comments seem to be making him out to be a Gaudreau or Salomaki level of player. Even in a relatively down season for him last year he still put up 25 points and has the upside of putting up 35 points all while giving you solid penalty killing and the ability to play anywhere in the lineup in a pinch. I don't think having a surplus of depth guys like him is necessarily a bad thing, especially when we saw how easily a team can get ravaged by injuries last season.
It's not a bad thing to have him... but frankly, he doesn't make a real difference to our team in terms of winning or losing. I wouldn't waive him or anything... I WOULD waive Salomaki or Gaudreau without a second thought. But if some other team valued Jarnkrok enough to give us an asset that could potentially make our team better, I also would not bat an eyelid at trading Jarnkrok. He is a solid utility infielder, but easily replaced from within or without.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's not a bad thing to have him... but frankly, he doesn't make a real difference to our team in terms of winning or losing. I wouldn't waive him or anything... I WOULD waive Salomaki or Gaudreau without a second thought. But if some other team valued Jarnkrok enough to give us an asset that could potentially make our team better, I also would not bat an eyelid at trading Jarnkrok. He is a solid utility infielder, but easily replaced from within or without.

I disagree that someone like Jarnkrok is easily replaced. I don't see who in our system we could count on to put up 30 points in a role where they're bouncing around the lineup like Jarnkrok is, and I'm not sure who from outside the system we could sign that we could rely on. That being said, I would absolutely move Jarnkrok if it were something that could make us better I just don't think the risk/reward for Puljujarvi given the scenario we are currently in (wanting to win now, an abundance of right wings, already needing to give top 6 time to develop a prospect already in the system) is worth it.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Laughs at people defending a 30 point player. If said player was an elite penalty killer, sure, keep him. Otherwise, he’s a dime a dozen type player that has very little impact on the game. Also, any player can play up and down the lineup given the chance. Last year with the injuries to our top 6, said player’s numbers should’ve gone up but instead regressed. Not buying it.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I personally think it’s crazy to want to not give puljujarvi a chance atthe expense of a 30 point small winger or a high priced centre we have too many of anyways.

Next offseason we will wish we had of traded turris for JP, when he has a full season without scoring wingers it could be ugly....

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Laughs at people defending a 30 point player. If said player was an elite penalty killer, sure, keep him. Otherwise, he’s a dime a dozen type player that has very little impact on the game. Also, any player can play up and down the lineup given the chance. Last year with the injuries to our top 6, said player’s numbers should’ve gone up but instead regressed. Not buying it.

He had a down year last year overall sure, but I'm also not ready to move him for a risky prospect when he's shown himself to be a pretty consistent player over the seasons prior to last year. He's been the 27th best penalty killer in the league out by GA/60 out of players with over 200 minutes of PK time since 16-17. That's maybe not elite territory, but that is well above average. The only people better than him statistically on that front on our team are the members of JOFA and they've played about half the minutes as him. Every minute he can eat of penalty kill time that they don't have to play is another minute of ice time we can give them even strength. I'm not saying he's unmovable or impossible to replace, but I also don't think he's just a throwaway player or worth trading for Puljujarvi in particular.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I personally think it’s crazy to want to not give puljujarvi a chance atthe expense of a 30 point small winger or a high priced centre we have too many of anyways.

Next offseason we will wish we had of traded turris for JP, when he has a full season without scoring wingers it could be ugly....

I still fail to see why Edmonton would want Turris so I see that as nothing more than a pipe dream. If we think Turris is overpriced given our center depth why would Edmonton want him seeing as center depth is probably the strongest aspect of their team.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I still fail to see why Edmonton would want Turris so I see that as nothing more than a pipe dream. If we think Turris is overpriced given our center depth why would Edmonton want him seeing as center depth is probably the strongest aspect of their team.
This exactly. Talking about "Turris for Puljujarvi" is nonsensical. Y'all might as well be kvetching about the "lost opportunity" of not trading Gaudreau for Sidney Crosby.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

I'm almost 100% sure the Oilers will not want turris so that deal is moot. As far as Jarnkrok and 2nd or 3rd I'd do. Id might even be a little hesitant on 2nd to be honest. Jarnkrok and 3rd.
I do wanna say this though about turris. First I wanna say I been one of the biggest supporter to dump turris for hardly anything all off-season. But the closer it gets to the season I'm intrigued to see him in the line up ready to prove he still has it. Yea he wasnt good last year but you jave to look at all the variables. Before he got hurt he started the year with 16 points in 23 games. Exactly what you expect out of your 2nd center. Then he got hurt and was out for about a month where he couldn't condition and didn't look that good when he came back then book reinjured the same injury he had. Now if you played sports and ever had to deal with an injury you know coming back from one you're tad hesitant. Well in hockey that hesitation has to be really bad. But after reinjurying his foot that had to be a complete blow on his confidence. Im more on the side of the fence of not wanting to get rid of him this year and letting him bounce back. Either if its on the wing or a matchup problem at 3c I believe he'll bounce back and his value will be higher next off-season.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I think Turris very well could bounce back. I don't think he'll do it with 3rd line wimgers and TOI.
This is exactly it. I’m sure he could easily bounce back, but playing with Third line wingers I just don’t see it either.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
He had a down year last year overall sure, but I'm also not ready to move him for a risky prospect when he's shown himself to be a pretty consistent player over the seasons prior to last year.

Pretty consistent? No matter where you put him in the lineup, his production doesn't change. When asked to step it up, he doesn't have that next level. 30 point a year guys who are good on the PK are a dime a dozen. I'm not saying we move him for Puu, at the same time, this team wouldn't be any worse the wear without him in the lineup.

Always remember this, you never want to notice a defenseman defensively and you want to notice your forwards offensively. I know that's a pretty basic statement but the reality is, Jarnkrok is who he is. You don't notice him on the ice and as a forward, that's a bad thing.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
One thing I need to add to all of this. We have some good players in our top 6, not great or elite. Because of this, our bottom 6 needs to have more offensive depth than we currently. We can't consider a 30 point guy an invaluable piece to our success. If he's on the 4th line and producing like that, I'd be ok with it but he often finds himself on the third or even second line and that's way too high for his lack of production. If we had a great top 6, we could absorb some of this lack of offensive punch. With the lineup as it's constructed, I'd prefer more pop than what he currently brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad