Should we trade for Puljujarvi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Oilers Seeking Pick And Prospect For Jesse Puljujarvi

If they want a top 9 guy with term, why not offer jarnkrok and a first? Or we could even offer Turris if they wanted him. I think Puljujarvi has a lot of untapped potential and is still very young, a lot of players do not fair well in Edmonton, maybe this could be a steal for us, or whoever else trades for him.

I also think with fellow countrymen like Saros and Rinne for example, that would help him fit right in. Pekka would be given the upmost respect by Puljujarvi and I think that would really help a lot with his development.

We do not really need Jarnkrok/Turris anyways, and our first is most likely low, not going to be getting a player of Puljujarvi's talent most likely.

Any thoughts on this?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
...do you ever not want the Preds to trade for yet another forward?

I wouldn't go near Puljujarvi until he's had that year in Europe to reacclimate himself. Too worried about a possible Filatov situation.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Jarnkrok... ok... and a first?!!?! Ok, now that's going too far. Puljujarvi may or may not have untapped potential, and the whole Edmonton situation is definitely a factor. But he also had a very serious surgery and his attitude has not exactly been exemplary per NHL norms.

I'd be interested in trying Puljujarvi out as a bit of a lottery ticket purchase. For the price of something that really doesn't impact us in any way. And unfortunately Jarnkrok has fallen into a vat of vanilla frosting such that I don't see him having any real value to us. He's an ok player. But I'd trade him for a swing at the fences. I'd totally balk at throwing in a 1st round pick, however, since that is our next chance at a "star". Turris, of course, I'd give him away for almost nothing at this point as well. Puljujarvi certainly has size, and draft pedigree. Whether he can be salvaged or not, nobody knows... if he could he'd definitely be a fit to our needs. But there is also a definite limit on the price I'd pay to embark on the reclamation project. Which is basically why Edmonton never found an acceptable trade for him.

Reactions: Ippenator

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Idk I feel he wouldn’t really fit in with our group like he couldn’t fit with Edmonton. I mean where would he slot in other than the 3rd Line or 4th Line maybe? I rather just keep Jarny cause he’s a penalty killer.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I'd rather keep the first and roll the dice in the draft. 2nd or 3rd...I'm listening.

Reactions: NNCbama

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If Edmonton would do a second then for sure I would do it. But if they are dead set on a first, what if we asked for a third back then?

Puljujarvi and a third
For
Turris/jarnkrok and a first

Our first will be a low first and odds are it will not be another Tolvanen...

I think it is worth the gamble, I mentioned Pekka and Saros as Finns that would help him along but what if he was on a line with granlund or Tolvanen? Those Finns play well together.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If Edmonton would do a second then for sure I would do it. But if they are dead set on a first, what if we asked for a third back then?

Puljujarvi and a third
For

I think it is worth the gamble, I mentioned Pekka and Saros as Finns that would help him along but what if he was on a line with granlund or Tolvanen? Those Finns play well together.

As much as I'd be down to move Turris they don't have the cap space for him even if we were to retain half his salary (which we definitely shouldn't do) so it would involve some other moves to make it work. I don't see the appeal of Turris to them either since centers are not the problem for the Oilers its a lack of wings. So I just don't see how Turris would realistically be involved in the move.

At this point I don't think Puljujarvi's odds of developing into a Top 6 role is much higher than that of a late first rounder. I'd maybe consider Jarnkrok for Puljujarvi one for one (although I'm not as low on Jarnkrok as many around here), but that plus losing draft capital even if we get a later round pick in return isn't something I'm keen on.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Puljujarvi and a third
For

I'd be happy to dump Turris' contract, but he's not as good as RNH so I don't see why they would want him... he's not going to excel as a #3C for them any more than he will for us.

What I'm reading from them is that they want a more traditional #3C, or some wingers - of just about any caliber. So Jarnkrok makes a little sense, and then maybe Bonino. And they are also interested in moving Kris Russell and his contract - if he played a solid shot-blocking RD role for us, that wouldn't automatically be terrible, though I just don't see how he's any ideal kind of fit for what we might be looking for.

Anyway, the trade offer that meshes all of these disparate elements is what would intrigue me... Russell and Puljujarvi for Bonino + ??? Something like that.
:dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'd be happy to dump Turris' contract, but he's not as good as RNH so I don't see why they would want him... he's not going to excel as a #3C for them any more than he will for us.

What I'm reading from them is that they want a more traditional #3C, or some wingers - of just about any caliber. So Jarnkrok makes a little sense, and then maybe Bonino. And they are also interested in moving Kris Russell and his contract - if he played a solid shot-blocking RD role for us, that wouldn't automatically be terrible, though I just don't see how he's any ideal kind of fit for what we might be looking for.

Anyway, the trade offer that meshes all of these disparate elements is what would intrigue me... Russell and Puljujarvi for Bonino + ??? Something like that.
:dunno:
Still doesn't make a lot of sense. Bonino (and, I believe, Turris as well) will play a valuable role for us this season regardless of how great our center depth is. Puljujarvi will be stuck in the same situation he has in Edmonton in that there's not a guaranteed top 6 spot for him and he hasn't shown an ability to make any sort of impact in a bottom 6 role. Russell is a marginal improvement over Weber but worse than Hamhuis.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Still doesn't make a lot of sense. Bonino (and, I believe, Turris as well) will play a valuable role for us this season regardless of how great our center depth is. Puljujarvi will be stuck in the same situation he has in Edmonton in that there's not a guaranteed top 6 spot for him and he hasn't shown an ability to make any sort of impact in a bottom 6 role. Russell is a marginal improvement over Weber but worse than Hamhuis.
Bonino OR Turris will play a valuable role for us this season, I agree... but I can't see how ALL of them and Sissons do. And Turris is probably my odd man out in being able to contribute. But who knows. Still, Puljujarvi is very much a swing for the fences, acknowledged. But it's a 6-4/220 #4 overall pick on the wing, which would fit verrrrrrrry nicely in our top-6 if for some fortuitous chance he did manage to turn things around with us. Not even necessarily this season - assuming he still needs a transition year first. When you have a surplus, found money, that's the time to cash it in on a lottery ticket.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bonino OR Turris will play a valuable role for us this season, I agree... but I can't see how ALL of them and Sissons do. And Turris is probably my odd man out in being able to contribute. But who knows. Still, Puljujarvi is very much a swing for the fences, acknowledged. But it's a 6-4/220 #4 overall pick on the wing, which would fit verrrrrrrry nicely in our top-6 if for some fortuitous chance he did manage to turn things around with us. Not even necessarily this season - assuming he still needs a transition year first. When you have a surplus, found money, that's the time to cash it in on a lottery ticket.
He can't break the top 6 on the worst team in the league, he's not going to get that shot here. You take a chance on a player like him with minimal assets, you don't dump a #2/#3 center for poor value just because we have spares.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I believe he has an out-clause.
He does. Still makes me flinch, though. I mean, yeah, Edmonton has kind of been where prospects go to die (continued status of same tentatively withheld pending evaluation of Holland's administration), but they've put extra effort into trying to fix Puljujarvi after the fact and it hasn't worked, so the fail is definitely very two-sided in this case.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
He can't break the top 6 on the worst team in the league, he's not going to get that shot here. You take a chance on a player like him with minimal assets, you don't dump a #2/#3 center for poor value just because we have spares.
So you are saying if the oilers offered us puljujarvi for a package around turris you would said no?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So you are saying if the oilers offered us puljujarvi for a package around turris you would said no?
I dunno if ID is, but I would indeed say no to that. I have more confidence in a Turris bounceback than a Puljujarvi one. But that admittedly potentially owes more to Filatov flashbacks than it does sober assessment.

And the Oilers wouldn't offer it in any case because of their cap situation. We're not saving cap in a trade with the Oilers. They can't afford it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Meh, he'd probably outscore Turris this year with equal icetime, sad as that may be. He's 21. Not breaking the top-6 on a tire fire team when he was a teenager is not exactly his most worrisome indictment. But it's definitely a gamble. You take a chance on it because his UPSIDE is far greater than that of our surplus dudes. You may also get a big fat nada out of him. I'm good for that gamble, and totally fine with the nada if that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hmmm, yup, I probably do. He may hit his potential, but I don't find us to be an optimal solution for giving him that opportunity. He's not going to get a top 6 slot over Granlund, Smith, Turris, Tolvanen (who himself has a ways to go to justify one) and it is questionable how effective he's going to develop in a bottom 6 role with no PP time. In the short term, Turris with even last year's production is more valuable to a team trying to "win now."

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I dunno if ID is, but I would indeed say no to that. I have more confidence in a Turris bounceback than a Puljujarvi one. But that admittedly potentially owes more to Filatov flashbacks than it does sober assessment.

And the Oilers wouldn't offer it in any case because of their cap situation. We're not saving cap in a trade with the Oilers. They can't afford it.
Thing is, even if Turris bounces back, he's just a flimsy moderate producer who leans on his linemates to do all the dirty work. I don't think a bounced-back Turris is worth anything to us, on the ice or in a trade.

But anyway, the Oilers aren't going to want Turris. They'll prefer Bonino. Who is a better player, admittedly. And we'll have to take a contract back... Sam Gagner is one suggestion if we don't think Russell does anything for us. I'm good with either.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'd take him for one of our "Expendables". Jarnkrok, Turris, any bottom pair D, list goes on. The only one I think the Oilers will listen to is Bonino/Turris for Pulju.
It doesn't hurt to add someone who could make an impact for people who take up lots of cap and are what they are.

I'm not expecting a PPG talent but he'll probably round out to a decent 2nd or 3rd liner with an upside of 50+ points. Turris won't be that anymore and Bonino never really was that.

Tolvanen is looking to break into the lineup now. If he doesn't succeed, why not go for Pulju?

Obviously I'm assuming the price for Pulju won't be a first at any point, if he would have been offered for that value he'd be gone already.

Last edited:
Reactions: NNCbama

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thing is, even if Turris bounces back, he's just a flimsy moderate producer who leans on his linemates to do all the dirty work. I don't think a bounced-back Turris is worth anything to us, on the ice or in a trade.

But anyway, the Oilers aren't going to want Turris. They'll prefer Bonino. Who is a better player, admittedly. And we'll have to take a contract back... Sam Gagner is one suggestion if we don't think Russell does anything for us. I'm good with either.
I think quality playmaking is something the team lacks (but then, I still think of Joey as a better shooter, no matter how much he tries to play otherwise; I blame my knowing him better as a Blue Jacket).

And it's more than just "a contract"; they can't realistically afford to take on cap, period. Gagner might be an interesting experiment, though.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
As others have mentioned I'm just failing to see where Puljujarvi would even fit in the lineup that would be good for his development. We've had a lot of discussion about how we have too many natural right wingers versus left wingers and wanting to get people into their natural positions. If we want to fit Puljujarvi onto the right wing on our top 9 that means one or more of Arvi, Smith, and Granlund will be playing their opposite side.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think quality playmaking is something the team lacks (but then, I still think of Joey as a better shooter, no matter how much he tries to play otherwise; I blame my knowing him better as a Blue Jacket).

And it's more than just "a contract"; they can't realistically afford to take on cap, period. Gagner might be an interesting experiment, though.
Edmonton can afford to take on a little bit. They have ~$2.4M remaining. But if they picked up Bonino they'd have to offset his $4.1M... e.g. with Gagner's $3.15M. Neutral to us... all we do is gain cap space. Either the difference, or a little more if Gagner can't make our team --- he's worth nothing to us either way, just a necessary cap inclusion from Edmonton's side.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If any GM in the league was willing to offer them a first for him Edmonton would have already pulled the trigger.

Someone like Jarnkrok I could see them taking, but to offer them much past that? Yeah no.

The Turris talk is laughable unless Poile just really wants him gone any way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad