Should we trade for Puljujarvi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
One thing I need to add to all of this. We have some good players in our top 6, not great or elite. Because of this, our bottom 6 needs to have more offensive depth than we currently. We can't consider a 30 point guy an invaluable piece to our success. If he's on the 4th line and producing like that, I'd be ok with it but he often finds himself on the third or even second line and that's way too high for his lack of production. If we had a great top 6, we could absorb some of this lack of offensive punch. With the lineup as it's constructed, I'd prefer more pop than what he currently brings.

I don't necessarily disagree that we could use more depth in our bottom 6, but I don't think that Puljujarvi will provide that given what we've seen of him and the way our team is built currently. I don't think Jarnkrok is immovable or what will make or break our team, but I also think he's better than you're giving him credit for and not someone I'm keen to give up for a lottery ticket.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Pretty consistent? No matter where you put him in the lineup, his production doesn't change. When asked to step it up, he doesn't have that next level. 30 point a year guys who are good on the PK are a dime a dozen. I'm not saying we move him for Puu, at the same time, this team wouldn't be any worse the wear without him in the lineup.

Always remember this, you never want to notice a defenseman defensively and you want to notice your forwards offensively. I know that's a pretty basic statement but the reality is, Jarnkrok is who he is. You don't notice him on the ice and as a forward, that's a bad thing.

Guys who score 15 goals consistently, can play anywhere in the lineup and kill penalties are not a dime a dozen, especially ones signed for $2M for three more years. As for his impact on the game, you're right he is not the kind of guy who makes plays that jump out at you. He just pretty much always makes the safe, smart play which is probably why Lavy likes him so much.

I completely disagree with the second paragraph. I very much enjoy watching a defensemen make good defensive plays, watching Ekholm defend a breakaway or Josi pick a guys pocket clean are some of my favorite things to see. I also very much enjoy watching forwards who can do more than score, some of the plays Bonino makes defensively are just beautiful to watch unfold. There is much more to a hockey game than just the scoring plays and there is much more that goes into what a player is worth to his team than just his point total.

What? No, I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for him. We are only talking about giving up Bonino for him. And we will not have Bonino after the expansion draft either.

That is what Edmonton is reportedly asking for, a roster player and a first.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Guys who score 15 goals consistently, can play anywhere in the lineup and kill penalties are not a dime a dozen,

This is it for me. What player in our system fills Jarnkroks role if we move him. Definitely not Salomaki or Gaudreau. Someone from Milauwakee is doubtful to me. I don't see any free agents that could. Jarnkrok isn't flashy and hes not going to be a star, but he can eat tough minutes while producing at a serviceable level. You can say that hes redundant because of Sissons, Bonino, and Watson, but if you trade Jarnkrok and one of those guys goes down all of a sudden you're making JOFA take up a lot more PK time.

Reactions: PredsHead and Viqsi

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
This is it for me. What player in our system fills Jarnkroks role if we move him. Definitely not Salomaki or Gaudreau. Someone from Milauwakee is doubtful to me. I don't see any free agents that could. Jarnkrok isn't flashy and hes not going to be a star, but he can eat tough minutes while producing at a serviceable level. You can say that hes redundant because of Sissons, Bonino, and Watson, but if you trade Jarnkrok and one of those guys goes down all of a sudden you're making JOFA take up a lot more PK time.
Agree. Every player can’t be a star. If they were the cap would blow sky high. So, looking for a top 6 is completely different than looking for a bottom 6. Jarnkrok, Bonino, Watson and Sissons form the nucleus of a pretty darn good bottom 6. And they all have the potential to get about 15 goals. Now maybe Bonino is overpaid; maybe Preds gave Sissons too many years; maybe, maybe. Make no mistake, if you’re going to win the Cup you’ve got to have forwards like these 4.
That said, Puljujarvi is either a top 6 or of no value. Preds nor Puljujarvi would be happy if he were not a top 6. Heck, he’s not happy now and what can Preds offer him? Make the top 6 or what? He’s no bottom 6 player and Preds and him would end up unhappy.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My only issue with Jarnkrok is in the post season where he gets pushed around and is basically worthless. He's fine for the season.

Edmonton is not getting a 1st and a roster player. No one is giving that up for a guy that is a gamble and you might lose in the expansion draft.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It would be difficult to imagine how Turris ends up being our best unprotected player in the expansion draft, though. I think Poile is better off hoping that Turris can somehow have a just-good-enough season that he can trade him without taking a loss. But if he's still around when expansion time rolls around, he's probably at the Albatross level by then, and there's no way Seattle is going to take him. :(
They gotta pay someone to meet the floor, and he's a center that could be decent. Those won't be easy to find.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
They gotta pay someone to meet the floor, and he's a center that could be decent. Those won't be easy to find.
Well, like with Vegas, I think "meet the floor" is some kind of mythology, because they will never lack for options in that respect. If they follow the Vegas example they'll have more trouble getting UNDER the cap than getting over the floor!

As it stands now if we go 4-4 they will have better forwards than Turris to pick from us, and if we go 7-3 they will take a D. We can always hope that they'll take Turris, but until he does something to really establish his value as a player again, that probably has to be filed under "wishful thinking", alas. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, I am always ready to indulge in it myself! But at least I think we can recognize it for what it is. That's just today's snapshot, though, so who knows how things will look in 2 years.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Veteran player with some term that can play in most situations, is from the Northwest, and it could be argued "is not being used correctly" with his current team. I could definitely see him being attractive for an expansion franchise.

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, like with Vegas, I think "meet the floor" is some kind of mythology, because they will never lack for options in that respect. If they follow the Vegas example they'll have more trouble getting UNDER the cap than getting over the floor!

As it stands now if we go 4-4 they will have better forwards than Turris to pick from us, and if we go 7-3 they will take a D. We can always hope that they'll take Turris, but until he does something to really establish his value as a player again, that probably has to be filed under "wishful thinking", alas. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking, I am always ready to indulge in it myself! But at least I think we can recognize it for what it is. That's just today's snapshot, though, so who knows how things will look in 2 years.
Difference is I think after the last go around teams won't get fleeced as easily. And lets be honest here, Vegas had some guys step up that had shown no real signs of doing anything prior that made some of those deals look worse than they probably were at the time.

Turris had one rough injury riddled season. There aren't going to be too many teams that are going to be letting 2nd line caliber centers go. I think you will see teams making trades before they let what happened with Vegas happen again.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Difference is I think after the last go around teams won't get fleeced as easily. And lets be honest here, Vegas had some guys step up that had shown no real signs of doing anything prior that made some of those deals look worse than they probably were at the time.

Turris had one rough injury riddled season. There aren't going to be too many teams that are going to be letting 2nd line caliber centers go. I think you will see teams making trades before they let what happened with Vegas happen again.
I will be thrilled if anybody still looks at Turris as a 2nd line caliber center in 2 years! That would definitely be a nice surprise. (As long as it doesn't end up happening because Joey or Duchene were badly hurt and had missed big chunks of time, of course).

But in the meantime, not anticipating that we should be so lucky, I'll continue to expect we lose somebody better than Turris, alas. :(

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I will be thrilled if anybody still looks at Turris as a 2nd line caliber center in 2 years! That would definitely be a nice surprise. (As long as it doesn't end up happening because Joey or Duchene were badly hurt and had missed big chunks of time, of course).

But in the meantime, not anticipating that we should be so lucky, I'll continue to expect we lose somebody better than Turris, alas. :(

How does the protection work for expansion draft? I do feel like we will have someone good exposed now with the signing of Matt Duchene. Which stinks!

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
How does the protection work for expansion draft? I do feel like we will have someone good exposed now with the signing of Matt Duchene. Which stinks!

We can either protect 8 skaters and 1 goalie or 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie. We'd protect Saros in both cases almost certainly.

If we went the first route, we would probably protect Forsberg/Johansen/Arvidsson/Duchene and Josi/Ekholm/Ellis/Fabbro. Sissons, Turris, Granlund/Smith (if resigned) would likely be exposed.

If we went the second route, I could see us protecting Forsberg/Johansen/Arvidsson/Duchene/Granlund or Smith/Sissons/ and someone else. Then for d-men it would be Josi/Fabbro/Ekholm most likely, with Ellis exposed. Though in that scenario I would just trade Ellis for an additional forward.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
We can either protect 8 skaters and 1 goalie or 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie. We'd protect Saros in both cases almost certainly.

If we went the first route, we would probably protect Forsberg/Johansen/Arvidsson/Duchene and Josi/Ekholm/Ellis/Fabbro. Sissons, Turris, Granlund/Smith (if resigned) would likely be exposed.

If we went the second route, I could see us protecting Forsberg/Johansen/Arvidsson/Duchene/Granlund or Smith/Sissons/ and someone else. Then for d-men it would be Josi/Fabbro/Ekholm most likely, with Ellis exposed. Though in that scenario I would just trade Ellis for an additional forward.

I almost feel like we have to go the forward route. Granlund is our best forward if you consider last three years point production. No way we can leave him exposed that would be tragic. I say the Ellis for a forward idea is a great idea, maybe trade Ellis and Smith (before his contract expires) for a nice juicy winger to play with Duchene and Granlund. Then protect him too. Plus you protect two more players that way, it’s a no brainer to me. I know last time we went the other way, but we did not have the offense we do now.

Maybe Puljujarvi could be that winger that just destroys it with Duchene and Granlund. Who knows though..

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Granlund is signed then Poile doesn't have much choice but to go 7-3-1 simply because you end up exposing one of either Forsberg, Arvi, Joey, Duchene, or Granlund if you don't.

I think Poile will end up shopping a Dman before it's all said and done.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
If Granlund is signed then Poile doesn't have much choice but to go 7-3-1 simply because you end up exposing one of either Forsberg, Arvi, Joey, Duchene, or Granlund if you don't.

I think Poile will end up shopping a Dman before it's all said and done.
Kinda sucks Fabbro played last season..... we wouldn’t have to worry about protecting him....

So if we go 7-3-1
It’s gotta be Johansen, Forsberg, Granlund, Arvidsson, Duchene, and who are the other two?

Tolvanen is exempt right?

We should definitely protect Puljujarvi ;)

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
My guess would be Sissons and then either Turris or whomever we pick up trading a Dman.
Yeah I guess Sissons is worth protecting. I wonder if we did trade one of those defensemen, would it be Ellis? I wonder what kind of play we could get for him. I bet we could get Nylander from the leafs.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
JP has 20 points in 18 games in Finland. Looks to be regaining his confidence.

I wonder if Poile shows any interest now? Could be had for fairly cheap I imagine. Maybe a second and Mismash for him?

I still think JP ends up being a very good NHLer, maybe not elite like he was thought to be once upon a time but definitely very good. Edmonton mismanaged him and I think he’s worth a flyer. Would definitely be a higher reward than Carr has been.

Reactions: Scoresberg

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
We went from Jarnkrok or Turris and a first to maybe Mismash and a second? Damn. The mighty have fallen.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
We went from Jarnkrok or Turris and a first to maybe Mismash and a second? Damn. The mighty have fallen.
Well based on the success both of them (especially Jarnkrok), I would think we would not trade one of them along with a first now. That was an off-season deal that we discussed.

I would definitely be interested in hearing what the Oilers want for him that’s for sure. Throw him on a line with Turris and Sissons and who knows what happens.

Jarnkrok Johansen Arvy
Forsberg Duchene Granny
Grimaldi Bonino Smith
Sissons Turris Puljujarvi
Watson (subs in when someone is slumping)

Damn that’s sexy, all of those lines could be dangerous.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Well based on the success both of them (especially Jarnkrok), I would think we would not trade one of them along with a first now. That was an off-season deal that we discussed.

I would definitely be interested in hearing what the Oilers want for him that’s for sure. Throw him on a line with Turris and Sissons and who knows what happens.

Jarnkrok Johansen Arvy
Forsberg Duchene Granny
Grimaldi Bonino Smith
Sissons Turris Puljujarvi
Watson (subs in when someone is slumping)

Damn that’s sexy, all of those lines could be dangerous.

Oiler fan here we would like either third liner center or a good rental winger

what would it cost for Granlund say he has just 9 points in 30 games with you???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->