Proposal: Should we trade for Jarome Iginla?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
dont get me wrong i feel terrible about brown terrible i love the kid just dont want him on the team i will follow his career and hope he does better but if we cannot get a cheap ufa who can do his role and actual score something is wrong lol he cant finish i love love love love the effort but sometimes for the betterment of a team you lose a guy like that

and no he is not better then boyle and callahan he simply cannot finish that wont change we can simply do better let him go to buffalo or somewhere get some playing time maybe he can come through for them

p.s. much rather would have kept panik or connolly over brown then is no debate both had more upside and imho could take his role and play d by they time we lost them:( i also think panik and connolly were better then pacquette but that is my views :)
Robert come on man you hated panik lol

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Why would we pay a 1st + 3rd + decent #6 for a stopgap? We could've kept the 1st and got someone much cheaper.

I wasn't wild about the trade but the price really isn't that staggering when you consider the timing (the trade deadline), Yzerman was sitting on a spare 1st and that Gudas probably would have been pushed out of a regular spot with Coburn's presence anyway.

And, though I didn't like the timing of the Connolly trade, TB wound up recouping the picks.

Buying some short-term security wasn't a bad idea. Hindering his club's financial flexibility would be.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
No Iginla.
- Too $
- Too old.

We need to lean up in a lot of places (Carle).

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
May I have a try at this Iginla hypothetical?:popcorn: So let's say Yzerman decides to get a little crazy and go after Iginla. Why not go full crazy, and preemptively clear a little cap space at the same time? I think we could actually make decent trade partners from a cap standpoint. Obviously we would want Carle going the other way, but COL is looking to upgrade at LD, no? So why stop there? We are currently at a total cap hit of about 68M (before LTIR for Ohlund), and COL is at about 58M. Given that COL doesn't go out and give Sekera 6 years at 5.75-6.5M AAV, what about:

TB : Carle (5.5M AAV x 3) + Garrison (4.6M AAV x 3) + Rights to Barberio + Rights to Marchessault + 2015 4th Rd. Pick (120th Overall)

COL: Iginla (4.5M AAV x 2) + Brad Stuart (3.6M AAV x 2)

So here, COL retains 833,333 of Iginla's cap hit for the remaining 2 years of his contract. This trade saves us 2M on our total cap hit, while only adding 2-4M to the total cap hit of COL. We trade train wrecks in Carle and Stuart, and COL downgrades at RW to upgrade at LD. After the trade, we would be at a total cap hit of about 66M (before LTIR for Ohlund). So with Ohlund's cap hit on LTIR, we are now at about 62.4M.

As far as some of the free agent D that I saw mention of, taking handedness and overall worth into consideration, I would say we target McQuaid. What would it take to snag him? Maybe something like 7M over 3 years (2.33M AAV)? Maybe we would prefer doing something more like 5M over 2 years (2.5M AAV) so that he, Iginla, and Stuart all come off the books at the same time. Let's say we go with the latter. We are now back up to a total cap hit of about 64.9M. Let's say we ink Vlad at something like 2.5M over 2 years (1.25M AAV). We are now at a total cap hit of about 66.15M. Let's say we give Sustr a show-me contract at 1M for 1 year. We are now at a total cap hit of about 67.15M. After adding 2.3M for Drouin's bonuses, our total cap comes out to about 69.45M for 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G. That should still leave space for whatever Kucherov's bonuses are.

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Drouin - Stamkos - Iginla
Killorn - Filppula - Callahan
Paquette - Boyle - Namestnikov
Brown

Hedman - Stralman
Coburn - McQuaid
Stuart - Sustr
Nesterov - Witkowski

I wouldn't be mad at that as our 13F/8D depth, and we would have room to breath. While we lose a couple of D with good playoff experience, we bring a couple right back in. Unfortunately with Stamkos' extension and Kucherov's next contract lining up, I believe Killorn would be a cap casualty. I think I like Killer too much for that :(. Looking at that same year, would we be able to get Coburn re-signed at something like 3.8M AAV? The next year would see the Iginla, Stuart, and McQuaid contracts (total AAV of 10.6M) coming off the books at the same time Johnson, Palat, and Drouin are ready for their next contracts.

So there's my Iginla idea/rant that I thought up (General Fanager did most of the work) when I stumbled upon this thread while bored at work ;). Be nice :help:.

Last edited:

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
I wouldn't be too quick to dump Brown. His north/south speed game was well suited to the playoffs and he provided valuable energy and momentum shifts at key times. If anything, our lord and savior Yzerman should be working on finding a shooting guru to work with Brown this offseason. If Brown had a bit better shot and a bit better luck, he could easily have had 15+ goals this past season and 4-5 in the playoffs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
May I have a try at this Iginla hypothetical?:popcorn: So let's say Yzerman decides to get a little crazy and go after Iginla. Why not go full crazy, and preemptively clear a little cap space at the same time? I think we could actually make decent trade partners from a cap standpoint. Obviously we would want Carle going the other way, but COL is looking to upgrade at LD, no? So why stop there? We are currently at a total cap hit of about 68M (before LTIR for Ohlund), and COL is at about 58M. Given that COL doesn't go out and give Sekera 6 years at 5.75-6.5M AAV, what about:

TB : Carle (5.5M AAV x 3) + Garrison (4.6M AAV x 3) + Rights to Barberio + Rights to Marchessault + 2015 4th Rd. Pick (120th Overall)

COL: Iginla (4.5M AAV x 2) + Brad Stuart (3.6M AAV x 2)

So here, COL retains 833,333 of Iginla's cap hit for the remaining 2 years of his contract. This trade saves us 2M on our total cap hit, while only adding 2-4M to the total cap hit of COL. We trade train wrecks in Carle and Stuart, and COL downgrades at RW to upgrade at LD. After the trade, we would be at a total cap hit of about 66M (before LTIR for Ohlund). So with Ohlund's cap hit on LTIR, we are now at about 62.4M.

As far as some of the free agent D that I saw mention of, taking handedness and overall worth into consideration, I would say we target McQuaid. What would it take to snag him? Maybe something like 7M over 3 years (2.33M AAV)? Maybe we would prefer doing something more like 5M over 2 years (2.5M AAV) so that he, Iginla, and Stuart all come off the books at the same time. Let's say we go with the latter. We are now back up to a total cap hit of about 64.9M. Let's say we ink Vlad at something like 2.5M over 2 years (1.25M AAV). We are now at a total cap hit of about 66.15M. Let's say we give Sustr a show-me contract at 1M for 1 year. We are now at a total cap hit of about 67.15M. After adding 2.3M for Drouin's bonuses, our total cap comes out to about 69.45M for 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G. That should still leave space for whatever Kucherov's bonuses are.

Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Drouin - Stamkos - Iginla
Killorn - Filppula - Callahan
Paquette - Boyle - Namestnikov
Brown

Hedman - Stralman
Coburn - McQuaid
Stuart - Sustr
Nesterov - Witkowski

I wouldn't be mad at that as our 13F/8D depth, and we would have room to breath. While we lose a couple of D with good playoff experience, we bring a couple right back in. Unfortunately with Stamkos' extension and Kucherov's next contract lining up, I believe Killorn would be a cap casualty. I think I like Killer too much for that :(. Looking at that same year, would we be able to get Coburn re-signed at something like 3.8M AAV? The next year would see the Iginla, Stuart, and McQuaid contracts (total AAV of 10.6M) coming off the books at the same time Johnson, Palat, and Drouin are ready for their next contracts.

So there's my Iginla idea/rant that I thought up (General Fanager did most of the work) when I stumbled upon this thread while bored at work ;). Be nice :help:.

This is horrendous. I rather have Carle then Stuart. McQuaid is not a top 4 defender either, the team is significantly worse after this.

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
This is horrendous. I rather have Carle then Stuart. McQuaid is not a top 4 defender either, the team is significantly worse after this.

Significantly? Nah. Hose is gonna hose. An Iginla trade won't happen, but the hypothetical I posted was with our impending cap hell in mind. Your feedback is always appreciated though, Hose. ;)

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
So since an Iginla trade isn't going to happen, I'm going to go off on a tangent about something non-Lightning related. I saw a couple of mentions of Okposo hypotheticals on the main board, and something about trouble with extension talks. Not that there is any validity to it, but if they did end up trading him, where do you guys think he could end up?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wouldn't be too quick to dump Brown. His north/south speed game was well suited to the playoffs and he provided valuable energy and momentum shifts at key times. If anything, our lord and savior Yzerman should be working on finding a shooting guru to work with Brown this offseason. If Brown had a bit better shot and a bit better luck, he could easily have had 15+ goals this past season and 4-5 in the playoffs.
That's the whole issue if brown pops 4 or 5 goals during the playoffs! and morrow gets 3 or 4 right now we are the cup champs easy. First we need to dump carle for a draft pick or whatever just free up that money. Get brad Richards and sign a vet d man for like 2 million that can play decent on the bottom pair. I'd move brown for a draft pick let Erne or vladdy take his spot but that's me. Our bottom line forwards are the reason we lost the cup.

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
That's the whole issue if brown pops 4 or 5 goals during the playoffs! and morrow gets 3 or 4 right now we are the cup champs easy. First we need to dump carle for a draft pick or whatever just free up that money. Get brad Richards and sign a vet d man for like 2 million that can play decent on the bottom pair. I'd move brown for a draft pick let Erne or vladdy take his spot but that's me. Our bottom line forwards are the reason we lost the cup.

With Carle partly controlling where he goes, where can we dump him that he will also want to go? What incentive does Richards have to not re-sign with Chicago? They will probably give him more than one year at something he thinks is reasonable, since he still has money coming in from the Rangers, and he and Kane are bros now. I don't think we will have much turnover, but I just want Carle gone :cry:. For some reason though, I have a feeling he is going to be here next year.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
With Carle partly controlling where he goes, where can we dump him that he will also want to go? What incentive does Richards have to not re-sign with Chicago? They will probably give him more than one year at something he thinks is reasonable, since he still has money coming in from the Rangers, and he and Kane are bros now. I don't think we will have much turnover, but I just want Carle gone :cry:. For some reason though, I have a feeling he is going to be here next year.
Yzerman scares me to death I don't think you want to cross him. He can make this really easy for carle or really hard. Ya Kane and Richards are close but don't count out stralman, Callahan and Boyle trying to get him to Tampa.

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
Yzerman scares me to death I don't think you want to cross him. He can make this really easy for carle or really hard. Ya Kane and Richards are close but don't count out stralman, Callahan and Boyle trying to get him to Tampa.

Yzerman, to non-hockey fans who don't know him, probably looks like a hit man. And good second point, I hadn't thought of that.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think it's a good idea to strenghten our bottom 6 from outside. Richards may or may not be a good fit since we have Flip but the idea of Iginla is certainly interesting and Yzerman had interest in him before I believe. Anyway, I think this thread for me started to turn sour when someone said JT Brown is better than Ryan Callahan.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yzerman, to non-hockey fans who don't know him, probably looks like a hit man. And good second point, I hadn't thought of that.

Example if carle gives yzerman trouble to waivers he goes then enjoy a Toronto or bottom cap team. He only has a ntc not a nmc. So yzerman to Matt how can I help you , give me 5 teams you would waive to ?

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
Example if carle gives yzerman trouble to waivers he goes then enjoy a Toronto or bottom cap team. He only has a ntc not a nmc. So yzerman to Matt how can I help you , give me 5 teams you would waive to ?

I know I shouldn't underestimate Yzerman's jedi mind tricks, but I just have a bad feeling he-who-must-not-be-named will still be here :cry:. He did give him that albatross after all. D*** you UFA, and your bloated contracts.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Significantly? Nah. Hose is gonna hose. An Iginla trade won't happen, but the hypothetical I posted was with our impending cap hell in mind. Your feedback is always appreciated though, Hose. ;)

Yes it's significantly worse. As bad as Carle was Stuart is much worse, the 2mil in savings isn't worth it. Plus why are we trading Garrison? I wouldn't trade Garrison straight up for Iginla, he's an important top 4 player which McQuaid never has been or could be. I want McQuaid to be a physical #6, no more then that. defense is worse and the offense is only better if Iginla fits which he might not with our speed.

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
Yes it's significantly worse. As bad as Carle was Stuart is much worse, the 2mil in savings isn't worth it. Plus why are we trading Garrison? I wouldn't trade Garrison straight up for Iginla, he's an important top 4 player which McQuaid never has been or could be. I want McQuaid to be a physical #6, no more then that. defense is worse and the offense is only better if Iginla fits which he might not with our speed.

I tried combining the much wanted cap dump of Carle with the idea brought up about Iginla. I failed. Forgive me, almighty Hose. :cry:

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida
So since an Iginla trade isn't going to happen, I'm going to go off on a tangent about something non-Lightning related. I saw a couple of mentions of Okposo hypotheticals on the main board, and something about trouble with extension talks. Not that there is any validity to it, but if they did end up trading him, where do you guys think he could end up?

Edit: This apparently has some validity.

Will Garth do it? Negotiating tactic?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I remember reports that we were after Iginla. Months later the Callahan trade happened and Iggy was in Boston so I think that ship has sailed.

Yzerman went after Iginla in free agency too, but he chose the Av's. I think there is still definite interest there, and under the right conditions a trade could happen.

This is a from a year ago but Iginla hasn't slowed down any from what I've seen this year. I don't know how anybody can say Jarome is slow, or that we can't use every bit of what he brings. Imagine if we had this guy instead of Morrow. 30 goal scorer with a cannon for a right handed shot and net presence. He could put the team over the top.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yzerman went after Iginla in free agency too, but he chose the Av's. I think there is still definite interest there, and under the right conditions a trade could happen.

This is a from a year ago but Iginla hasn't slowed down any from what I've seen this year. I don't know how anybody can say Jarome is slow, or that we can't use every bit of what he brings. Imagine if we had this guy instead of Morrow. 30 goal scorer with a cannon for a right handed shot and net presence. He could put the team over the top.

yes indeed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad