Proposal: Should we trade for Jarome Iginla?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I can't believe the Avs would take Carle though. Our only hope is to dump him to a team at the cap floor, imo. :P

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I would be all about an Iginla for Carle deal. Instead of paying 5 million for a guy to play bottom pair minutes, your giving it to a perennial 30 goal scorer, who will definitely play more of a key role.

The #1 motivator here is that his contract will be up when Hedman and the triplets get their raises, unlike Carle's contract. The idea is that you are loading up while you have a small window of cheap contracts which are team controlled, should be a smooth transition.

Jarome isn't going to blaze by anybody, but he's fast enough to keep up. Don't forget, Yzerman went after him pretty hard last off season, an Iginla deal is actually a lot more likely than I first thought. Under the right conditions, I can see it happening

Killorn-Filppula-Iginla that's an amazing third line.

you see the light his cap is high but the term of the deal fits perfect for us.

peanutvendor

Jan 15, 2008
Washington DC
If it involves Carle I would. Term is right, gives us a legit scoring threat on the 3rd line which we seemed to lack in the play offs, and opens the door to sign a vet lhd to play bottom pair. Chase someone like ehrhoff at approx 3-3.5 (ohlunds IR cap hit), he's a solid lhd who had a down year with injuries. A 1 year cheaper deal on a cup contender would be advantageous to both parties.

Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Iginla
Brown/Namestikov-Boyle-Paquette

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Ehrhoff-Sustr
Nesterov

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If it involves Carle I would. Term is right, gives us a legit scoring threat on the 3rd line which we seemed to lack in the play offs, and opens the door to sign a vet lhd to play bottom pair. Chase someone like ehrhoff at approx 3-3.5 (ohlunds IR cap hit), he's a solid lhd who had a down year with injuries. A 1 year cheaper deal on a cup contender would be advantageous to both parties.

Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Iginla

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Ehrhoff-Sustr
Nesterov

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Iginla

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Ehrhoff-Sustr
Nesterov

I still don't get how some of you don't see how the extra year is not good for us. We currently have roughly 35.5 towards 11 forwards, 27.5 for 7 defenders, 6 for 1 goalie and 1.6 retention. That's 70.6 with us still needing to sign Namestnikov and Sustr so maybe 2 million more, Vasilevskiy as the backup is another million. So we are at 73.5 with only 12 forwards and 7 D, add JAM and Witkowski 75 but we can take Ohlund at 3.5 off so 72 which is above the cap but we can do some maneuvering with JAM and Witkowski to get under.

Trading Carle at 5.5 for Iginla at 5.3 is a wash, but we need Carle gone with no salary back for the year after. Stamkos, Kucherov, Killorn, Coburn, Brown, Paquette and Nesterov are due. With the cap not going up much to afford the expected big raises of Stamkos and Kucherov we'll have to let Coburn go and with Gagner retention gone that 6 pays the raises. We lose a top 4 defender so we can have a 40 year old 3rd liner, it's beyond stupid. If Killorn, Nesterov, Paquette or Brown breakout more we might lose even more depth. The best thing to do is move Carle with no retention if anything take a 1 year cap dump. We can't afford Ehrhoff at all.

peanutvendor

Jan 15, 2008
Washington DC
I still don't get how some of you don't see how the extra year is not good for us. We currently have roughly 35.5 towards 11 forwards, 27.5 for 7 defenders, 6 for 1 goalie and 1.6 retention. That's 70.6 with us still needing to sign Namestnikov and Sustr so maybe 2 million more, Vasilevskiy as the backup is another million. So we are at 73.5 with only 12 forwards and 7 D, add JAM and Witkowski 75 but we can take Ohlund at 3.5 off so 72 which is above the cap but we can do some maneuvering with JAM and Witkowski to get under.

Trading Carle at 5.5 for Iginla at 5.3 is a wash, but we need Carle gone with no salary back for the year after. Stamkos, Kucherov, Killorn, Coburn, Brown, Paquette and Nesterov are due. With the cap not going up much to afford the expected big raises of Stamkos and Kucherov we'll have to let Coburn go and with Gagner retention gone that 6 pays the raises. We lose a top 4 defender so we can have a 40 year old 3rd liner, it's beyond stupid. If Killorn, Nesterov, Paquette or Brown breakout more we might lose even more depth. The best thing to do is move Carle with no retention if anything take a 1 year cap dump. We can't afford Ehrhoff at all.

Your numbers include Drouin getting his 2.8 in bonuses, which is unlikely. 70.5 - 3.6 (ohlund)-2.8 (Drouin bonuses)= 64.1. Add 1m for each of sustr, namestikov, and back up goalie, that gives us 67.1. Iginla for Carle swap, we have 3 mil+ left in cap.

We have incredible young talent signed to great deals. Do you go for it the next 2 years knowing you have these assets which can easily be traded in the future, or do you keep your team neutered so you can afford raises in 2-3 years? The matter of fact is this talented group of young guns will break apart through trades and free agency. Look at Chicago. They haven't stayed competitive because they kept dead space for future years. They go for it and find a way to make it work when the time comes. And yzerman has shown he has the ability to do that for this team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Your numbers include Drouin getting his 2.8 in bonuses, which is unlikely. 70.5 - 3.6 (ohlund)-2.8 (Drouin bonuses)= 64.1. Add 1m for each of sustr, namestikov, and back up goalie, that gives us 67.1. Iginla for Carle swap, we have 3 mil+ left in cap.

We have incredible young talent signed to great deals. Do you go for it the next 2 years knowing you have these assets which can easily be traded in the future, or do you keep your team neutered so you can afford raises in 2-3 years? The matter of fact is this talented group of young guns will break apart through trades and free agency. Look at Chicago. They haven't stayed competitive because they kept dead space for future years. They go for it and find a way to make it work when the time comes. And yzerman has shown he has the ability to do that for this team.

I really want to go all in and go for it a top 4 defenseman and a solid 3rd line left winger puts us over the top! i'm greddy i'd love to trade for a top 2 defenseman right handed shot! to be honest if we pull those two good moves I don't see anybody in the east that can stay with us. Ya money gets tight next year and moves will have to be made but I have faith in stevie and his guys!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Iginla

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Ehrhoff-Sustr
Nesterov
example this roster puts us over the top! assuming ehrhoff takes a one year deal and iginla is on a two year deal this is a 55 win team.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan
Palat-Johnson-Kucherov
Killorn-Filppula-Iginla

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Ehrhoff-Sustr
Nesterov

Really want to see that top line, and think there will be a good chance for that. That 3rd line also looks sweet as well.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Everyone has Drouin on the top line, if he plays there I'm sure he might hit his bonuses. I believe you could add the bonuses now which brings his hit up to 3.2 or have his hit be 925 but if he hits them we could be penalized on the following years cap which would hurt even worse. You also have a roster with no scratches, I'm sure we carry 1 or 2 extras which is another mil plus.

We made the finals with this neutered roster, a few minor improvements (Morrow and Carle) and staying healthy we could win it all. We also will have the cap space to keep the important core players and move others (Filpulla, Callahan, Garrison, Coburn and Killorn) and promote from within.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Everyone has Drouin on the top line, if he plays there I'm sure he might hit his bonuses. I believe you could add the bonuses now which brings his hit up to 3.2 or have his hit be 925 but if he hits them we could be penalized on the following years cap which would hurt even worse. You also have a roster with no scratches, I'm sure we carry 1 or 2 extras which is another mil plus.

We made the finals with this neutered roster, a few minor improvements (Morrow and Carle) and staying healthy we could win it all. We also will have the cap space to keep the important core players and move others (Filpulla, Callahan, Garrison, Coburn and Killorn) and promote from within.

anything drouin hits should be covered by ohlund ltir

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
anything drouin hits should be covered by ohlund ltir

No it doesn't, we were right at the cap this past season with Ohlund on LTIR. We have freed up 1mil with Prospal and Brewer each, then letting Morrow walk is 1.5, so 3.5 total but that's the raise Bishop is getting. We are still at max cap especially since the cap isn't rising to give us any lead way.

If Drouin is in the A then we have 3.2 million to go out and bring somebody in. If Drouin is around we need to make his hit 3.2 just in case he hits the bonuses. What we need is Carle gone so we have 5.5 to use, bring in a Morrow replacement and Carle replacement on 1 year deals for around 5 combined.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
No it doesn't, we were right at the cap this past season with Ohlund on LTIR. We have freed up 1mil with Prospal and Brewer each, then letting Morrow walk is 1.5, so 3.5 total but that's the raise Bishop is getting. We are still at max cap especially since the cap isn't rising to give us any lead way.

If Drouin is in the A then we have 3.2 million to go out and bring somebody in. If Drouin is around we need to make his hit 3.2 just in case he hits the bonuses. What we need is Carle gone so we have 5.5 to use, bring in a Morrow replacement and Carle replacement on 1 year deals for around 5 combined.

we have no cap issues stevie said we are fine with the cap for the next two years. only way he dumps carle is if he wants something in Fa that he knows he can get. I think we can talk to free agents june 25th ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

not all bonuses for guys like drouin are team covered 100% the nhl does some of them for the high picks

but your right carle has to go 5.5 is needed and cheaper options are gonna be picked up depends what people want i have faith in steve

i want to look at stamkos deal myself before trying to figure out the cap that to me is most relevant thing moving forward
his cap hit makes the rest fall in place and the choices we have

p.s.

barberio and brown need to go there is your extra two million after carles move so gives us like 7 million im more worried though on stamkos coming in under 10 million if that happens a lot is possible if not well guys like killorn could be a casualty since he has huge worth on market imho

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
we have no cap issues stevie said we are fine with the cap for the next two years. only way he dumps carle is if he wants something in Fa that he knows he can get. I think we can talk to free agents june 25th ?

We don't have any cap issues the next two years if everyone continues making the same. We can keep Carle till his contract runs out if we wanted but Coburn can't be resigned and possibly Killorn. We need Carle gone for not only Stamkos and Kucherov but Coburn, he wasn't great in the playoffs but we aren't deep enough on D to let Carle go this year, Coburn next then Garrison the year after.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
not all bonuses for guys like drouin are team covered 100% the nhl does some of them for the high picks

but your right carle has to go 5.5 is needed and cheaper options are gonna be picked up depends what people want i have faith in steve

i want to look at stamkos deal myself before trying to figure out the cap that to me is most relevant thing moving forward
his cap hit makes the rest fall in place and the choices we have

p.s.

barberio and brown need to go there is your extra two million after carles move so gives us like 7 million im more worried though on stamkos coming in under 10 million if that happens a lot is possible if not well guys like killorn could be a casualty since he has huge worth on market imho

Barberio I agree, Witkowski can replace him and we say a few hundred thousand. Not sure why you hate Brown so much? I was definitely on the Brown hate train, and I'm still on board just moved to the back rather then being the conductor, but his playoffs has changed my tune a bit. He was easily our best bottom 6 forward, better the Boyle and Callahan. His regular season work sucks but us extremely cheap, don't know if a replacement, who'll cost more, is worth it unless we get a Thompson deal where we can't say no.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We don't have any cap issues the next two years if everyone continues making the same. We can keep Carle till his contract runs out if we wanted but Coburn can't be resigned and possibly Killorn. We need Carle gone for not only Stamkos and Kucherov but Coburn, he wasn't great in the playoffs but we aren't deep enough on D to let Carle go this year, Coburn next then Garrison the year after.
I see carle going then coburn getting resigned sooner or later koekkoek replaces carle. Until then we need a one year stop gap for losing carle. Erhoff?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I see carle going then coburn getting resigned sooner or later koekkoek replaces carle. Until then we need a one year stop gap for losing carle. Erhoff?

With his injury history I want no part of him. Maybe a Barrett Jackman, Tim Gleason or Adam McQuaid. Someone with a physical presence as well as defensive responsible while being cheap.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Probably worth repeating:

A) If SY is as smart as we think he is, Coburn is a stopgap and there is no intention of extending him.

B) Killorn will be a 26 year-old RFA due a fat raise for his third contract next summer, which makes him a very possible cap casualty.

That's $7m - replacement cap charges that can additionally free up.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Probably worth repeating:

A) If SY is as smart as we think he is, Coburn is a stopgap and there is no intention of extending him.

B) Killorn will be a 26 year-old RFA due a fat raise for his third contract next summer, which makes him a very possible cap casualty.

That's $7m - replacement cap charges that can additionally free up.

Why would we pay a 1st + 3rd + decent #6 for a stopgap? We could've kept the 1st and got someone much cheaper.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Really want to see that top line, and think there will be a good chance for that. That 3rd line also looks sweet as well.

i get your cally thing but i would much rather have killer on top cally and flipper together with paquette or another hitter like killorn cally and flipper is a line i LOVE

cally does his best with a secondary hitter

ie pacman or palat etc...

am hoping we pick up someone for top line of stamkos drouin put killer flipper cally together if that is not the hardest 3rd line to play against in the entire league it would have to be seriously close:)

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Barberio I agree, Witkowski can replace him and we say a few hundred thousand. Not sure why you hate Brown so much? I was definitely on the Brown hate train, and I'm still on board just moved to the back rather then being the conductor, but his playoffs has changed my tune a bit. He was easily our best bottom 6 forward, better the Boyle and Callahan. His regular season work sucks but us extremely cheap, don't know if a replacement, who'll cost more, is worth it unless we get a Thompson deal where we can't say no.

dont get me wrong i feel terrible about brown terrible i love the kid just dont want him on the team i will follow his career and hope he does better but if we cannot get a cheap ufa who can do his role and actual score something is wrong lol he cant finish i love love love love the effort but sometimes for the betterment of a team you lose a guy like that

and no he is not better then boyle and callahan he simply cannot finish that wont change we can simply do better let him go to buffalo or somewhere get some playing time maybe he can come through for them

p.s. much rather would have kept panik or connolly over brown then is no debate both had more upside and imho could take his role and play d by they time we lost them:( i also think panik and connolly were better then pacquette but that is my views :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad