GDT: Should we have a GDT? Kings host Flames. 8pm MT

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dont really get the Markstrom hate this year

Not gonna pretend he's been vezina calibre or anything. But he has better stats this season than last, despite our overall defense being worse than last season.

Just to compare. Last year the team was 13th in GA/GP and 5th in PK%. Markstrom had a .892 sv%. He was literally the worst starting goaltender last year.

This year though, the team is 19th in GA/GP and 9th in PK%. Markstrom has a .906 sv%. That's good enough for 12th in sv% among goaltenders that have played 20 or more games this season. (markstrom with 19 games played)

And based on my own personal viewings from watching the team this year compared to last, I do think he's been much better this year. He's actually stolen a few games for us that we had no business winning and he's been good for an excellent stop almost every game.
It's always the same people, they look for reasons to complain so they jump on every little thing. Frankly I'm surprised they don't also blame him for ENG against because every other goal is always his fault

Another great save by Marky
Pfft, should've been 2 saves, f***ing bum

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
We need better scoring chances.. Talbot hasnt looked very solid this game. Let in a weak goal and got beat by Zary who hit the post.
Sorry guys kinda jinxed this. Talbot was pretty damn good after.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Quinton Byfield is FAST, Hanifin is a great skater too so not exactly easy to beat when he was already ahead.

Even beyond that foot race, his stride looked off on other plays and he looked slower than Normal.

Weegar also looked really off body language wise.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
PP is losing us games, Huberdeau is in the f***ing nowhere land. Get a few assets and pack them with #10 for Karlsson

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It’s still a contact sport. Body positioning isn’t illegal, that was incredibly soft defending. But this is what separates the Dougie Hamiltons, Evan Bouchards, and Noah Hanifins from the true top Dmen in the league

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Merry Christmas yall

Just beat by a better team honestly, but I don't think that was either club's best stuff. Lots of guys looked ready for a break in this one. Flames are not good enough to be carrying a 10.5 million anchor around, that they're even within sight of a WC spot is kind of amazing.

Good : Blake the Snake. 3rd D pair was our best tonight, both guys looking more and more comfortable the more games they get. Backlund was also quality. Didn't see the first goals but no issue with Markstrom this game, I think some people's goaltending expectations have gone all out of whack. Sharangovich had the puck a lot, kind of sad they have to use him as a PP qb but I didn't hate him up there.

Not bad : Rasmus didn't see his G but was looking to make plays, proactive rather than reactive. Lindy was around it, he's just not skilled enough to consistently generate offense. Thought Ruz had one of his better games in a while. Mangiapane? played definitely? Saw him in the middle of the ice and he drew a penalty when he fell down once so that's good. Greer didn't look out of place with a promotion, which I'm not sure is a good thing lol

Not good : Kadri line wasn't especially good tonight, but weren't too bad either. Thought Zary struggled a bit trying to do too much at times. Hanifin even before getting dusted by Byfield was putting passes into skates or into Kings sticks.

Bad : Weegar was really bad, fumbling pucks, horrible clears, awful. Tanev wasn't much better. Very sick of Dillon Dube, complete nothing. Please sit.
Huberdeau go down to South Beach on the break, do a bunch of coke and bang some strippers, do whatever you gotta do man because your head is simply not in the game.

Reactions: Fig and super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Nobody will be willing to take that contract for years. We're stuck with the invisible man.
Terrible situation for the player and team. Especially with all the rhetoric to start the year about this season being a reset, and THIS is the result?

Going to be a very painful going forward. Can’t imagine it rubs well for anyone.
I dont really get the Markstrom hate this year

Not gonna pretend he's been vezina calibre or anything. But he has better stats this season than last, despite our overall defense being worse than last season.

Just to compare. Last year the team was 13th in GA/GP and 5th in PK%. Markstrom had a .892 sv%. He was literally the worst starting goaltender last year.

This year though, the team is 19th in GA/GP and 9th in PK%. Markstrom has a .906 sv%. That's good enough for 12th in sv% among goaltenders that have played 20 or more games this season. (markstrom with 19 games played)

And based on my own personal viewings from watching the team this year compared to last, I do think he's been much better this year. He's actually stolen a few games for us that we had no business winning and he's been good for an excellent stop almost every game.
Hes been okay this season? Doesn’t really matter since the team all around has fallen off, so even if he was better we probably aren’t a contender anyways. And I mean there’s mostly upward room from what was a disaster 2022-23 season. Otherwise his stats speak for themselves, 904sv% and 2.75GAA, and that’s about what he’s provided for the duration of his contract. If you had told ppl at the start of that deal he was going to give us 904 goaltending through it the first 4 seasons of the contract, I think the response would’ve been mild disappointment.

Reactions: Felidae

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Thank you for saying this. I didn't want to call it out while Wolf was playing because it was nice to see guys being positive and cheering for the Flames player who usually don't.
I was in the same boat, was nice seeing positivity for a change around here considering the CONSTANT negativity is what drives me up the wall the most, especially when people hate/love the name more than the level of play.

Markstrom and Kadri have probably been our team MVPs this year, and any visiting fan to our boards would think they’re as useful as a screen door in a hurricane. They just weren’t on the wranglers last year and that’s about the only benchmark for hearing some positivity about a player sans Rango and Coleman (and a large base of active posters hated them both as much as 10 games ago or still just refuse to comment on them). Swear to god some people get excited to start bashing Huberdeau. Like would it be so terrible to actually have some positive opinions once in a while, and not exclusively for players under 25?

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I just figured out I'm in a win-win situation with the Flames this year. I'm happy when they win. After all they are my favorite team and what normal fan doesn't like to see their team win. However, I'm not bummed out when they lose because every loss means a better draft pick in July. Win-win.

Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I was in the same boat, was nice seeing positivity for a change around here considering the CONSTANT negativity is what drives me up the wall the most, especially when people hate/love the name more than the level of play.

Markstrom and Kadri have probably been our team MVPs this year, and any visiting fan to our boards would think they’re as useful as a screen door in a hurricane. They just weren’t on the wranglers last year and that’s about the only benchmark for hearing some positivity about a player sans Rango and Coleman (and a large base of active posters hated them both as much as 10 games ago or still just refuse to comment on them). Swear to god some people get excited to start bashing Huberdeau. Like would it be so terrible to actually have some positive opinions once in a while, and not exclusively for players under 25?
Just so much wrong with this post. From the patronizing point about how fans should cheer for a team to just blatant lies.

Yes, fans are going to be more excited and patient for young talent that is the future of our team than mediocrity that has taken us nowhere. That does not mean ppl haven’t been positive about the veteran talent that has earned their pay and then some. It’s funny you mention one of our mvps as Nazem Kadri, a player who’s fortunes turned around at the callup of Connor Zary. The single most exciting forward on our team by a mile. He’s one of the few guys on the team who can cleanly carry the puck in on a pp.

Nobody has been gleeful seeing huberdeau in this situation, I think everyone agrees it’s a sad disaster. If anything, his situation has afforded far more rope than most fans would’ve given other players, but we’re talking 11 games without a point and over 100 games of mediocre play. Patience is running out, and rightfully so.

I’ll never understand why people on a discussion board make it about the positivity and negativity of posters rather than focus on the team that everyone here cheers for.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2