should Torts be fired immediately if it means PLD will stay?

should Torts be fired asap if it means PLD will stay?

• yes, fire Torts immediately

• no, keep Torts, trade PLD asap

• neither, both will stay with the team longterm

• neither, both will be gone by the summer

Results are only viewable after voting.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
the issue is most probably Torts, not the city. Its pretty clear, I dont know how anyone thinks otherwise.

I mean, if theres a toxic relationship between the two, I dont see why hes being a baby..... If Im not getting along with my boss after some time, I quit my job and get a new one. No one should ever stay in a sitatuion in which they are unhappy.

I thought the rumor was that Dubois and his girlfriend wanted to be in Canada. Dubois has played well under Tortorella so it seems odd that he would have issues with him. I know that he's a tough coach but that is what it takes to succeed. I don't know if there has been a toxic relationship between the two. If there is something going on between them, then it's another issue.

With being a baby I meant the way he has played recently. That kind of attitude of "I won't even try, trade me" is childish. It is ok wanting to leave and wanting a trade, that kind of attitude isn't and it probably won't help finding him a new team. If you wanted to change your job because you don't like your boss, I am sure you would still give a decent work effort during your last days.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
one regular season game
I'm a just neutral observer having some fun with it. I didn't make an argument one way or the other. I agree with above that there needs to be a third option. Fire Torts or trade Dubois today both seem very shortsighted to me.

I do think it is impressive that you can bench your 1C and take a team like Tampa to OT. Funnily enough, I'm not a huge Torts fan and think Dubois is awesome. I do enjoy Torts when he's coaching someone elses team.

Having said that, I think Torts done more than one regular season game. Looking at the 2 most recent playoffs. Wasn't he behind the bench when Columbus took out Toronto? Wasn't he behind the bench when Columbus took out Tampa in a sweep? Tampa set a regular season record that year and won the cup the next season (he actually coached them to a cup as well). That seems impressive to me. That's his 2 most recent seasons. Looking longer range and a quick wiki look says he is actually quite impressive.

He is the first American-born NHL coach to reach 500 wins, and has twice won the Jack Adams Award as the NHL's top coach.

Would I want to play for him? Not really. Would I want to be in his doghouse? Never. Do I think this situation will resovle itself. Not at all, when things get toxic with Torts they seem to stay that way. Would I fire him after 5 games? NO. Would I trade Dubois today. NO. If I were the GM, I'd close twitter and HFboards and find a way to resolve this internally without people like you and I even knowing what happened.

McLellan has a losing record with the King's and hasn't made the playoffs (yet alone won a round) in a long time (playoffs once since 2014), so I don't think he should win the Jack Adams (that Torts has won twice). Thanks for asking.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Who gives a f*** buddy :laugh:

this is hf boards not a legal document no need to nitpick lol
what???

you said "hes stuck here".... and thats just a false statement. No nitpicking of any legal matters here.

Yes they hired him years ago, and they can fire him whenever they please.

Evergreen

Youre just speculating, nobody knows why PLD wants out. Teammates and Torts have stated that they havent been given much of a reason.
Well then the entire poll is speculative given it basically assumes that PLD stays and the situation is resolved if Torts is fired. I truly do not see that being the case.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
There's maybe one or two players in the league that can dictate who coaches them and PLD isn't one of them.

More than one or two, I would think. Crosby and Ovi are the obvious two. After that, what about guys like McDavid or MacKinnon? Eichel? Kane/Toews?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Based off what?

Ohio teams have not exactly been prime destinations for players in any sport outside when the Cavs had Lebron and he was only there because he is from Ohio.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
kid is giving up. you bench him. that play is insane. you get paid to do a job, you want to pout and be an asshole, stay home.
someone else deserves your spot. how you can look your teammates in the face after these performances, idk. id love detroit to get him but im second guessing it now. dont need a whining little shit.

if my kid was acting like that, id whoop their ass. you do everything to the best of your ability or you dont deserve what you have. period.

that being said, no, he shouldnt be fired. he did his job, he deserved to be benched.

He played less than four minutes. Can't exactly be blamed for his performance.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Im not seeing the narrative supporting the amount of hate PLD is getting.

So the timeline I'm getting from this is.

PLD gets drafted a few years ago, develops well, develops a solid reputation as a good teammate and hardworker.

PLD enters contract negotiations optimistically.

PLD given opportunity to talk to other teams (offer sheets). Negotiations sour at some point with Jarmo, a gm with a long history of having negotiations sour and get personal.

PLD asks for trade but still signs 2 year contract to accommodate team needs. PLD reports for training camp.

Trade request gets leaked.

Torts confirms trade request and rips PLD. Torts confirms that there were no known issues up to this point and Torts feels caught off guard by request.

Relationship between PLD starts to become noticable strained on the ice with rumours of benching and Torts making comment to radio host that they didn't feel like wasting time by developing him anymore.

Things come to a head yesterday with PLD unplugging his controller and Torts benching him. Neither side comments.

Based on the information that I've seen, this seems to fall onto Jarmo with Torts making things worse. Prior to PLD forgetting to put his motivation into his game bag yesterday, he seems to have done everything good enough but got ripped on by GM and Coach.

Start with firing Jarmo and see where you go from there.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Even if firing torts would 100% get PLD to stay you still don't fire him.
It sets a very bad precedent in the locker room.
You don't give a player that kind of control.
Torts always had an expiration date and he may very well be coming close to it, but the rest of the team is still listening

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
From the Athletic:

Sources close to Dubois have said the relationship between Dubois and Tortorella, though at times choppy and confrontational, is not the direct reason he has asked to be traded.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
People are so funny with Torts... he is always considered one of best coaches in the league 1 day and then people want him gone the next day... back and forth every damn day

Glad I'm not the only one that finds it crazy - especially on HFBoards he was so recently considered a top-tier coach, and before that a terrible coach that doesn't deserve a job, and now he seems to be getting back to the "fire him immediately, this guy is nuts" rhetoric

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Every single day, in every single office, job site, warehouse, film set, restaurant and shopping center in the world, employees/leaders come and go for all sorts of personal reasons. Maybe it's the general environment of the team, the coach, the city, a desire to play elsewhere, or something else entirely. Who knows? But it's incredible how fast something like this can get blown out of proportion, with everyone being vilified in their own way and everyone jumping to wild conclusions ("PLD is a baby!" "Torts is a psychopath" "His team are Trump supports!" "Jarmo insulted him!").

When Mike in accounting moves on to another company because he wants a better opportunity in a different city, we wish him well and maybe have a little cake for him on his way out. In team sports, the guy is treated like trash and labeled a traitor.

If the kid wants to move on, just move him. That's life and it's his life to lead. Get over it.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Where is the option for neither will stay. PLD is going to be traded, and Torts will be fired in the next year. The damage is already done.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Glad I'm not the only one that finds it crazy - especially on HFBoards he was so recently considered a top-tier coach, and before that a terrible coach that doesn't deserve a job, and now he seems to be getting back to the "fire him immediately, this guy is nuts" rhetoric

Its mind boggling.. every single year it happens.. now if CBJ makes playoffs and maybe wins a series, he will be back to being the best coach of all time

Reactions: jetsforever

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hes a good player but lets not act like hes LeBron James here and can get guys fired or force his team to do anything.

GM Jack is at least a top 10/15 player.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I don't know how much longer Torts can keep going like this, mostly because times have changed and public/media scrutiny maginfies everything. But I think you give Dubois a fresh start elsewhere and see what the Jackets can do this season before making any firings. This could be Tortorella taking a bullet for Jarmo after offseason negotiations didn't go smoothly. Teams have an awful lot of control over players in Dubois' situation and it seems to me like it's bigger than simply disliking the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad