should Torts be fired immediately if it means PLD will stay?

should Torts be fired asap if it means PLD will stay?

• yes, fire Torts immediately

• no, keep Torts, trade PLD asap

• neither, both will stay with the team longterm

• neither, both will be gone by the summer

Results are only viewable after voting.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
he put a PPG in the post season.... If hes playing nonchalantly right now its cus hes had it with his coach, Im sure. Definitely doesnt help, though.

Or he is dogging it in a pathetic attempt to move somewhere he wants to go. Torts is calling it like it is, so how about we stop apologizing for his behavior. If a teammate of mine acted like that I know I'd want him off the team ASAP.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
looking for an honest convo - say the coach is mike smith/john doe. guy does the same thing, benches a player based on what he's been doing and is doing. what was the coach supposed to do? let this continue?

You're ignoring everything that led up to that.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He got benched. Boo-hoo. Happens to every hockey player.
this obviously is more than just about one benching. It dates back to at least last season when Torts was giving him an earful on the bench if you recall.

I also heard audio of a radio interview in Montreal from 2019 where he describes Torts's coaching methods as sort of "it is what it is". Didnt have anything positive to say about him.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
learn to read what i said.

id love him here, but..... i know its tough but try it, please.

Yeah I read it, tough as it was.

Makes no sense. "The guys a shitty crybaby who deserves to be benched and is an awful teammate. I want him on the Red Wings."

Reactions: Just Linda

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
You do NOT fire the coach if a player behave this way and takes the team for ransom. Even worse - a 22yr old brat who is a RFA who just signed a new contract. You sit the kid/trade the kid and after this you think about the coach. You can NEVER let a player dictate, let alone a young RFA, what the team/GM shall do. I have a hard time thinking that PLD:s teammates approves with his lack of effort/abandoning the team.

Reactions: Howard35

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Do you think he just asked for a trade for the heck of it? Torts is a shit coach that he doesn't wanna play for.

there's the narrative of the direction you were going with. you dont like Torts so you auto side with the player.
thats fine, its your opinion and like most on here i wont discredit it.

Kid plays for the team. Coach calls the shots. dont like it, leave. thats your right. If you dont like Torts, you dont have to, but if you're part of a team, you're acting like a bitch by not playing to the best of your ability. 1) you're not helping your trade value, 2) you just lose respect from your fellow players. you want to take that stigma to a new team? someone who gives up when he doesnt like something?

sorry, i didnt grow up like that. you play your bag off if you're in the lineup. if you dont like it, stay home.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There should be a third option.

"They aren't babies and both will be able to work together fine."

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
You do NOT fire the coach if a player behave this way and takes the team for ransom. Even worse - a 22yr old brat who is a RFA who just signed a new contract. You sit the kid/trade the kid and after this you think about the coach. You can NEVER let a player dictate, let alone a young RFA, what the team/GM shall do. I have a hard time thinking that PLD:s teammates approves with his lack of effort/abandoning the team.
Jack Eichel says hi

your potential franchise centre is worth more than a coach ever will, if you ask me. Again, we can call him a baby all we want, but anyone here would quit their job if they had a very toxic relationship with their boss.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
looking for an honest convo - say the coach is mike smith/john doe. guy does the same thing, benches a player based on what he's been doing and is doing. what was the coach supposed to do? let this continue?

We are fans so we aren't getting the whole story so my comment is under the assumption that Torts is a substantial reason why PLD is unhappy and wants a trade. Torts was totally justified in benching him last night, and we've likely reached the point of no return with PLD where he now has to be traded. However you can't have a coach that actively alienates your players to that degree. It's damaging to the organization and ultimately a fireable offense.

So both need to go now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hard coach. Demands his players are hard to play against. Confrontation (with players) is part of his coaching.
He has a short shelf life.
He likes dogs (perhaps?) more than people. So, he’s got that right.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Do you think he just asked for a trade for the heck of it? Torts is a shit coach that he doesn't wanna play for.

A 22yr old RFA has the leverage to decide who/what team he plays for? This shit coach has a Cup. PLD doesnt. Tort actually is the coach that got CBJ playing. PLD is an entitled kid who quit on his teammates and demanded a trade. HE also signed a contract which he should honor. Shitting on the team and teammates make me think he is a liability and I wouldnt want him on my team. The behaviour is beyond stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad