Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'd rather have Bertuzzis in the league vs. Moores
take that as you will, I know how dumb that sounds
of course, I m a dinosaur who preferred the sport when it was 95% hockey 5% wrestling
bertuzzi tho is undoubtedly a total dumb**** who deserves to be remembered for this and only this incident

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
if you dont ban claude lemieux for life then you dont ban bert.

and dont give me the nonsense that draper returned to play out his career. thats a weak argument to fit a narrative.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Players like Ryan Reaves have thrown way more dirty hits, and no one calls for them to be banned. Reaves hasn't done something as bad as the one off Bertuzzi incident, but he has thrown a large number of heavily dirty hits from behind, and not only has no remorse, he seems like he enjoys doing so. Worse part is he is popular with lots of people for some reason. Same with Tom Wilson.
I don't really classify Reaves as that dirty, really.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Kadri crosschecked a guy in the face three months ago.

If you knew anything about head injuries you'd understand just how dangerous shots to the back of the head are. Ask yourself why MMA allows you to knee or elbow someone to the face but shots to the back of the head are almost the only thing they do not allow. It's precisely why Brad Marchand's punch to the back of the head of a prone player a couple months ago is so dirty.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If you knew anything about head injuries you'd understand just how dangerous shots to the back of the head are. Ask yourself why MMA allows you to knee or elbow someone to the face but shots to the back of the head are almost the only thing they do not allow. It's precisely why Brad Marchand's punch to the back of the head of a prone player a couple months ago is so dirty.

Do they wear helmets in MMA?

Ask yourself if you'd rather take a gloved punch to the back of a helmet or a crosscheck to an unprotected face. Don't bother answering...because anything other any Option 1 would be a lie.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Ask yourself if you'd rather take a gloved punch to the back of a helmet or a crosscheck to an unprotected face. Don't bother answering...because anything other any Option 1 would be a lie.

Having been in rings with very high level boxers and been tagged in the back of the head, I'll take a shot to the face any day.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Another disgusting display of goonery, but I don't remember Thornton telling the media that there was a bounty on Orpik's head weeks before the game happened, nor did Thornton challenge him to a fight or stalk him up the ice before punching him. And, Thornton was suspended for more regular season games as a result of this than Bertuzzi got.

But, despite the differences, I think we can agree that neither of these incidents has any place in professional hockey.

Bertuzzi was suspended 13 regular season games and 7 playoff games.

And then was suspended by the iihf when he was thinking of playing overseas during the 2004-05 lockout. So in essence he was suspended in total of 17 months before being reinstated in the 2005-06 season and most likely missed out on another 2-5 million by not being able to play overseas.

Thornton got 15 games for his act. Which is just as worse if not worse. Thornton threw orpik to the ground from behind and then put his knees onto his arms and chest so he couldn't move and proceeded to throw 3 punches to a players head that wasn't able to protect himself.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
Burtuzzi should havent been able to play another NHL game until Moore could return and play...so...yea, forever. Burtuzzi's sucker punch, in my opinion, is the most cowardice act i've ever seen and thats including McSorely.

Only good thing about that situation is Burtuzzi and Crwafords names have been completely tarnished and Moore walked away with a large chunk of Bertuzzi's "hard earned" money.

Reactions: OddyOh and Zippgunn

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Moore probably earned more money from Bert than he could've gotten playing in the NHL anyways, didn't imagine he was going to last long even if this all didn't happen. The guy wasn't very good.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Moore probably earned more money from Bert than he could've gotten playing in the NHL anyways, didn't imagine he was going to last long even if this all didn't happen. The guy wasn't very good.

He probably could've had a decent career playing overseas in Europe

Playing professional hockey was his dream, and Bertuzzi robbed him of that

Reactions: Zippgunn

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

This is unlikely given his upbringing and his schooling at Harvard. If he had the same mental capabilities that he had prior to the injury, he likely would've made more money than he can now with the injuries. Granted, it may not have been in the NHL but he was certainly capable of numerous money-making occupations like as an investment banker prior to the injury. Now? No he can't and that's because of Bertuzzi.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
He probably could've had a decent career playing overseas in Europe

Playing professional hockey was his dream, and Bertuzzi robbed him of that

This is unlikely given his upbringing and his schooling at Harvard. If he had the same mental capabilities that he had prior to the injury, he likely would've made more money than he can now with the injuries. Granted, it may not have been in the NHL but he was certainly capable of numerous money-making occupations like as an investment banker prior to the injury. Now? No he can't and that's because of Bertuzzi.

He went to court for 68 million. There was no way he was making that money as the player he was and thats all I was commenting on, not the anything outside of the money. He had a BA in environmental sciences and public policy. He was not going to make 68 million in that career despite the quote from the HR group the lawyer hired to estimate lost earnings.

"A company called HR Squared consultants was hired by Moore’s lawyer to provide an expert opinion of Mr. Moore’s post-hockey lost income.
The company concluded Moore before his injuries had the chance to work as an investment banker, portfolio manager, high-net-worth adviser, salesperson or perhaps a research analyst. But his “shortcomings” following his injury “would make it difficult for him to perform the job successfully.
“In sum: While it is possible that Steve Moore could obtain employment as a hedge fund marketer, there is a very low probability that he would have been able to keep the job,” the court filings say."

Just speaking money aside, he gained more here than from playing hockey anyways.

Not saying Bert was in the right anyways nor am I supporting what he did. More on the the "it could've been worse" scenario for Moore for sure.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
He went to court for 68 million. There was no way he was making that money as the player he was and thats all I was commenting on, not the anything outside of the money. He had a BA in environmental sciences and public policy. He was not going to make 68 million in that career despite the quote from the HR group the lawyer hired to estimate lost earnings.

"A company called HR Squared consultants was hired by Moore’s lawyer to provide an expert opinion of Mr. Moore’s post-hockey lost income.
The company concluded Moore before his injuries had the chance to work as an investment banker, portfolio manager, high-net-worth adviser, salesperson or perhaps a research analyst. But his “shortcomings” following his injury “would make it difficult for him to perform the job successfully.
“In sum: While it is possible that Steve Moore could obtain employment as a hedge fund marketer, there is a very low probability that he would have been able to keep the job,” the court filings say."

Just speaking money aside, he gained more here than from playing hockey anyways.

Not saying Bert was in the right anyways nor am I supporting what he did. More on the the "it could've been worse" scenario for Moore for sure.

It's not about how much money he would've made as a 4th liner, it's about the fact in the only life he's ever going to have, Bertuzzi took away his ability to live out his dream

Reactions: The Big Giant Head

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

But that 68 million is not solely about lost potential earnings either. It's also about broken vertebrae and concussion symptoms that as far as I'm aware have persisted to this day with him. I'm pretty sure the whole "it could've been worse" angle is an empty statement. Dude got messed up likely for the rest of his life because of a stupid and premeditated assault. Of course his career earnings in hockey wasn't going to reach that but his entire life was fundamentally altered in a negative way that it seems unlikely he can hold down any job that would substantially make money. And you can make a substantial amount of money with a public policy background if you sell out hard enough especially when it's from Harvard.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Imagine white knighting for Steve Moore, a head hunting predator of star players, in this day and age with what we know about concussions.

OH GEE I WONDER if anyone will make some remark about irony regarding poster “Scott Stevens” calling someone else a head hunting predator.

Steve Moore was a useless player only playing in place of a rash of injured Avs forwards. He was keeping his place in the lineup by taking dangerous head shots at top nhl players.
It was Moore's rookie year, and he played nearly an entire season.
How was Moore a "Headhunter?" The Naslund hit certainly was not headhunting.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And his fairly similarly gifted brother went on to play almost 900 NHL games. The vilification of Steve Moore by some is quite puzzling.

Reactions: Zippgunn

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
But that 68 million is not solely about lost potential earnings either. It's also about broken vertebrae and concussion symptoms that as far as I'm aware have persisted to this day with him. I'm pretty sure the whole "it could've been worse" angle is an empty statement. Dude got messed up likely for the rest of his life because of a stupid and premeditated assault. Of course his career earnings in hockey wasn't going to reach that but his entire life was fundamentally altered in a negative way that it seems unlikely he can hold down any job that would substantially make money. And you can make a substantial amount of money with a public policy background if you sell out hard enough especially when it's from Harvard.

Which is fair, I mean I bet a bunch of the money calculation was punitive. What I'm gathering from this is that "It could've been worse" and with the settlement as agreed upon, both sides are basically admitting its over and the adjustment is "fair". Is it fair to lose your dream or have issues for the rest of your life? Absolutely not. But there are many more that have had shortened or destroyed careers with nothing to help soften the result.

Just as an example, Paul Kariya probably didn't care if it was accidental or pre-meditated, but he essentially lost his super star career and never got so much as a settlement either.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
unfortunately for moore, he was an inferior player to naslund, whom bertuzzi stuck up for.

the nhl stars generate a disproportionate amount of the wealth in the league and their interests are best served

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

Being hit in the back of can cause one to temperally lose consciousness. If Moore were aleady out he no way of defending himself which made the pile even worse.

Everytime it has happened to me I was dazed and out tempoarilly. Stunned. Out for 5, 10 or 20 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad