Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
And yes, Bertuzzi should have been banned for life. The worst in that is that it wasn't impulsive. It was premeditated.

Reactions: mattihp

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Had Naslund suffered PCS from the headshot from Moore and never played another game in the NHL, should Moore have been banned for life?

Well, for starters, Naslund did have a concussion but he did play numerous games following the Moore cheap shot. If that hit was bad enough to force him into retirement, Moore should have been banned but that's simply not the circumstances being dealt with and it still doesn't equate Moore's hit on Naslund to Bertuzzi's hit on Moore. Bertuzzi's hit is in every measurable way worse than Moore's hit and by a country mile. There's just absolutely no sense in trying to equate the two incidents. Bertuzzi, quite frankly, got off light for what he did and I'm a fan of neither player nor their teams. Bertuzzi had no business playing in the NHL again after that incident and he's a disgrace to the game no matter how sorry he is. This was a mistake on his part that is beyond the pale for professional sports.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
I believe so. A life time ban would have fit nicely. I feel that way because of the absolute joke punishment that the NHL doled out. So pathetic. At the VERY LEAST 1 season suspension. I think Moore should have faced harsh penalties too. In regards to sports, not much worse than seeing a Star Player decline from a notable injury. Reminds me of Tomas Kaberle. I feel like the entire situation was unfortunate. Nobody was the same. What a waste.

Premeditated and cowardly cheap shot to the back of the head is way scummier than an elbow to the head. Moore tried to make an impact and came out looking like an idiot, the clear bad guy. Bertuzzi felt the need to out do him with some savagery.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
It was one of the biggest suspensions in NHL history. Other players have done things just as bad and not come even close to that many games for a suspension. Bertuzzi did something way over the line, and he was punished for it.

The fact that half the players on the ice all came and jumped on a helpless Steve Moore after Bertuzzi clocked him is likely where the real physical damage was done to Moore, so if you're asking for a lifetime ban based on the injury rather than the infraction itself, you would be wise to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m kinda split on this one. I don’t feel one stupid act should merit a lifetime ban. At the same time, the result tends to be a huge part in punishments for most transgressions. You punch a guy in the face at a bar and all he gets is a fat lip, you probably just get thrown out. If he falls, hits his head, and dies, you’re getting manslaughter charges. It’s the same action and intent, just a different result.

I think if he had ended Sakic’s career rather than Steve Moore’s, the answer is an obvious yes. I think people tend to lean the other way because Moore was a career 4th liner.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
I think Bertuzzi should've been allowed to play hockey as soon as Moore could play hockey. Then again, without playing how was Todd supposed to make the money to pay Moore?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
What a completely bs discussion.

The incident absolutely did not happen in a vacuum.

Crawford and Milbury, and a whole generation of coaches and coaching philosophies(I.e abuse) contributed/lead to what happened.

I honestly find it morally reprehensible the fake high ground that is being constructed in this debate. It's ignorant, self congratulatory and counter productive to actual progress regarding player safety concerns.

Reactions: Bougieman

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Dale Hunter gave Pierre Turgeon a blinded elbow to the head WELL after the play was dead and Turgeon scored a goal. Should he be banned for life?

My point is the league is full of player who have done as bad or worse than Bertuzzi but we’re lucky the results weren’t as horrible. I can’t justify banning one player due to results when others commuting more dangerous and reckless actions get a pass.

Hunter actually said he didn't realize the puck had scored.

For his stupidity and blatant lying he should have been banned for life.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I'm sorry but I just don't see how one could think this is even remotely comparable to the Moore incident.

what? LOL? Both were cheap and hard unsuspecting shots to the back of the head. Yeah, they're "remotely" comparable, trust me on this one I guess...

And why do I think that if it was Byfulein had been sucker-punched by Perry that the announcers would have made a bigger deal about the hit.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Moore did a dirty open ice hit to the league's leading scorer. Naslund was never the same since then. Maybe due to natural decline, but you gotta wonder.

That did ofc not justify Bertuzzi's retribution, and yes, I think Bertuzzi should have been banned permanently. I am very sorry for how this disgusting revenge has affected Moore's life, and how it will in the future, maybe forever.

Steve Moore was a still a little shit for not stepping up to answer his dues though. If you do something like that you better prepare to fight in the next game. He didn't deserve to be assaulted in such a horrible manner, he sure deserved a beating though

Reactions: Kreegz2

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Something that happens in hockey more than people care to admit blew up because of the extent of the injury. The NHL realized that but to this day still, a lot of people don't. If you don't want to face the music don't headhunt other team's stars. I feel for Moore and his family on the extent of the injury. But his own actions set everything in motion.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Steve Moore was a still a little **** for not stepping up to answer his dues though. If you do something like that you better prepare to fight in the next game.

Ummm...Moore did fight.

Guaranteed your follow-up will be "yeah, but it wasn't enough".

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm on the fence about Bertuzzi getting a lifetime ban but I'm just glad he never got to hoist the cup.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The bottom line is that if it didn’t happen in a hockey rink it would have been criminal and Bertuzzi would have faced jail time and would have had to pay a lot more than he did.

Regardless, consequences can matter in court. A simple attack that yields a healable injury where the injured party walks away would result in more leniency to the attacker than if the victim was crippled for life and lost their income and livelihood.

Bertuzzi should have been easily banned for life. It was pre-meditated. It was purposeful. It did permanent damage. It was illegal in both the sport and in societal law.

Even more so than the response, the league should have never allowed it to get to that point.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Absolutely f***ing not. There’s been a number of incidents since then, some committed by repeat offenders, that have been punished less harshly.

People who believe this need to give their heads a shake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad