Should the OBC still be employed?

Should the OBC still be employed?

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree with Stauffer. Of course there is merit to why everyone should be fired, and for good reason, but mostly I think the OBC is way over exaggerated now. These guys haven't been calling any shots for a long time, and the current state of the roster is on the GM

How do you know this? For example MacT is VP of Hockey Operations.
Do you honestly believe that his input as a high ranking hockey Ops executive is limited to non existent?

I mean you would have to be in a serious state of denial to believe that.

Why is the management structure such that an incoming POHO has to take on the existing staff?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I came back to this thread because I wanted to vote “no” again, but I couldn’t. Could someone create a new thread with a new “should the OBC still be employed?” poll attached, so I can get the satisfaction of clicking “no” again... Whatever they achieved as players in the 80s they’ve completely undone by driving this team off the edge of a cliff the last 10+ years. Someone needs to tell them that.

Reactions: Yeah15

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
How do you know this? For example MacT is VP of Hockey Operations.
Do you honestly believe that his input as a high ranking hockey Ops executive is limited to non existent?

I mean you would have to be in a serious state of denial to believe that.

Why is the management structure such that an incoming POHO has to take on the existing staff?

To the bolded. Do you have proof MacT had any influence over "full autonomy" Chia? Both Bobs already confirmed they didn't? Both are saying they aren't pulling any strings, as in putting anyone's job in jeopardy

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To the bolded. Do you have proof MacT had any influence over "full autonomy" Chia? Both Bobs already confirmed they didn't? Both are saying they aren't pulling any strings, as in putting anyone's job in jeopardy

I honestly dont care what Bob says. His job is to protect the brand and thats what he does.

Lets focus on reality....
MacT is the VP of Hockey Ops....I mean what do think he does in that role?

It certainly isnt nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I honestly dont care what Bob says. His job is to protect the brand and thats what he does.

Lets focus on reality....
MacT is the VP of Hockey Ops....I mean what do think he does in that role?

It certainly isnt nothing.

It could be nothing... In which case shit can him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It could be nothing... In which case **** can him.

If it really is nothing I dont understand why he would be in such an influential and important position in Hockey Ops. Why not have someone in that position that is actually going to help the optics around the dysfunctional perception this team has fostered.

I mean clearly MacT has influence...he is in a position of influence. To suggest that he is just a place holder is insulting the intelligence of Oiler fans.

If Katz still wants MacT around (Katz loves cronyism) then give him a job on the business side.

Ultimately its Katz love affair with cronyism that is hurting the perception of the team. Surely he has the where with all to realize that and make the appropriate changes. If not then he really doesnt care about making this organization successful. He cares more about being the big shot with the glory days Oilers.

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd let Lowe and W. Gretzky stay on, provided they really aren't involved in hockey decisions.

Gretz is a part owner, an NHL legend, and he's still a class act who commands a lot of respect around the hockey world. I don't mind if he's a sort of ambassador - somebody more involved in business development, community outreach, working on connections in the league, with sponsors, etc. and the occasional recruiting drive.

Same with Lowe. He's an alternate governor - and someone with nearly 40 years experience as a player, former captain, coach, GM, and a managing director with Hockey Canada. Someone like that might still have value for the organisation around the league and in the community.

In short, trim the fat and remove the stench from the hockey operations but hold onto one or two guys who are close to Ownership and can act as team ambassadors.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Wait, these poll results can't be right. People on the main board were telling me just the other day that Oilers fans don't realize the OBC are a problem.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Kev is doing big things in his non hockey operations role! Big tremendous things. Kev is a valued contributor to the non hockey operations side of the business, I’m hearing many saying the most valuable of all time. Why do the fake fans want to attack him? Sad!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Kev is doing big things in his non hockey operations role! Big tremendous things. Kev is a valued contributor to the non hockey operations side of the business, I’m hearing many saying the most valuable of all time. Why do the fake fans want to attack him? Sad!
Im sympathetic to Lowe because I watched him play and know most newer fans don’t give him the credit he deserves for his contributions to the dynasty. But seriously man, it’s posts like this that cause folks to doubt the sincerity of your account.

MikeYEG

Feb 7, 2019
Clean slate. No one should remain. I'm so f***ing tired of us living in the past and these morons destroying this franchise. At least this poll is useful to know whose (3) opinions should never be taken seriously.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Knowing what and who i know there is no reason to target the OBC for the failures of Nicholson

Reactions: bobbythebrain

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If it really is nothing I dont understand why he would be in such an influential and important position in Hockey Ops. Why not have someone in that position that is actually going to help the optics around the dysfunctional perception this team has fostered.

I mean clearly MacT has influence...he is in a position of influence. To suggest that he is just a place holder is insulting the intelligence of Oiler fans.

If Katz still wants MacT around (Katz loves cronyism) then give him a job on the business side.

Ultimately its Katz love affair with cronyism that is hurting the perception of the team. Surely he has the where with all to realize that and make the appropriate changes. If not then he really doesnt care about making this organization successful. He cares more about being the big shot with the glory days Oilers.
I never understood why the organization tried to sell the fan base on the idea that Lowe moved over to the business side but Mactavish didn’t. Wouldn’t it have made more sense the other way around? Mactavish, we are told, has an MBA. Wouldn’t that make him more valuable on the business side? What business training does Lowe have? Lowe, tiny bit of success as a GM several years ago. Mactavish only failure, get to stay in hockey ops. Nothing these guys do ever makes any sense but we are expected to believe there’s nothing to see here? f*** off already.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pro scouting - full audit. Look at player recommendations over the past dozen years and sack the poor ones. I suspect a lot of them would be let go based on the Oilers' trade history.

)
We apparently only have two so that shouldn't be hard. Sadly though with only two our pro scouting is really behind. Pretty hard for two guys to be able to do enough scouting

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Im sympathetic to Lowe because I watched him play and know most newer fans don’t give him the credit he deserves for his contributions to the dynasty. But seriously man, it’s posts like this that cause folks to doubt the sincerity of your account.

Frig WOOOSH

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad