Should the OBC still be employed?

Should the OBC still be employed?

• Total voters

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
absolutely not. they have shown time and time again that they have no idea what talent looks like.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Been discussed at length. MacTavish, Howson, Green, Sutter, and Scott all need to go along with half the amateur scouts and all the pro scouts.
Need a front office restructuring with less management and advisors, and more boots on the ground in scouting, with scouts that are actually good at what they do, not hired because they are buddies with Kevin Lowe or are the GMs brother. Need to invest in sports science, advanced analytics, with a commitment to player development before gifting 18 and 19 year olds roster spots.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Of course not, but that doesn't mean that Daddy Katz won't keep employing them until the end of time (or he runs out of money, but "the end of time" is likely to occur before that happens, lol). OBC all have jobs for life, despite repeatedly failing spectacularly at their jobs.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Lowe, MacT, Howson, Green are the main issue.

The others I am fine with. I have no problem with the Gretzky brothers, Messier, Coffey.

Edit: Nicholson is on thin ice. Next GM bombs, he should be gone.

Those first 4 have caused setbacks that they need to be held accountable. They are "hockey minds" I am sure some other organization would hire them but their removal is long past due. Fresh start for them and the organization. Plus it removes a ton of negative reputation at the same time.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Of course not .

But Lowe and Gretzky are lifers. And IMO, I doubt either really contribute to anything other than making appearances.

MacT on the other hand...

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Lowe, MacT, Howson, Green are the msin issue.

The others I am fine with. I have no problem with Gretzky brothers, Messier, Coffey.

Those first 4 have caused setbacks that they need to be held accountable. They are "hockey minds" I am sure some other organization would hire them but their removal is long past due. Fresh start for them and the organization. Plus it removes a ton negative reputation at the same time.

What about Nicholson? He is the one who allowed these guys to implement those setbacks.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Lowe, MacT, Howson, Green are the main issue.

The others I am fine with. I have no problem with the Gretzky brothers, Messier, Coffey.

Edit: Nicholson is on thin ice. Next GM bombs, he should be gone.

Those first 4 have caused setbacks that they need to be held accountable. They are "hockey minds" I am sure some other organization would hire them but their removal is long past due. Fresh start for them and the organization. Plus it removes a ton of negative reputation at the same time.

I agree with all ya said. We should also hire the best scouts as our draft and trades have not been great. We also gotta develop youth correctly. Too many high pick have flopped....

I still think we could use a builder that can fix all this. Someone like bowman..

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Of course not. I think you’ll struggle to find even one person who doesn’t want them gone. However that’s a different matter than trying to dump the many failings of the worst GM in history into their laps. I would also suggest that it is imperative that Nicholson be fired as well. He clearly has no clue.
Made an edit. Plus he's really not obc.
It’s kind of the point. He more responsible for this particular incarnation of failure than anyone still employed.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Nicholson - has shown he's not capable of the job he holds. Repeatedly sounds like he has no clue. Axe.

Curly MacStupid - fire into the sun. How does he still have a job with the franchise after being utter clown shoes as a GM and, aside from one playoff run where the team had the best D man in the NHL, a below average coach.

Howson - two words: Nikita Nikitin. That is all. Axe.

Lowe/Wayne - I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I'm actually ok with keeping these two, provided they are only involved with the non-hockey stuff (and keep Lowe away from a press conference). Gretz is part owner anyways. If Lowe can't resist meddling in the hockey side of things, it's time to put him out to pasture and only wheel him in for alumni events.

Pro scouting - full audit. Look at player recommendations over the past dozen years and sack the poor ones. I suspect a lot of them would be let go based on the Oilers' trade history.

Youth scouting - obviously too soon to tell, but looking good the past few years. Keep.

Keith Gretzky - I'm actually ok with the Oilers giving him a shot as GM. Made a couple good moves with the Talbot and Gagner trade, and didn't get owned at the deadline like Chia would have (here's our unprotected 2019 1st round for your 4th line C!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->