Should the NHL use Ray Ferraro's idea on offisde goal challenges?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The challenge needs criteria to determine that the offside had an impact on the goal being scored. For instance there have been several challenges where the disputed call happened between 10-15 seconds before the puck crossed into the net. That's absurd. The defending team had ample opportunity to recover, and there are almost no plays where people stop playing because it is so obviously offside. Now if a team breaks in on an odd man rush, scores directly on that rush and they crossed the blueline offside a review makes a lot of sense.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
A few months ago Ray Ferraro had an idea to fix the offside goal challenges and it was as follows. If a team happens to allow a goal which might be offside, prior to the goal being scored if it's noticed that one of the players on the team who was scored on had the puck on their stick it should make the challenge null and void, because they would have gained possession of the puck with a chance to clear the puck out of their end. I remember Ferraro equated that to a delayed penalty call where the whistle is blown when the team getting a penalty gains possession of the puck.

So if the NHL added that rule onto the offside goal challenges would that be a good thing or not or should the challenge remain as it is? I guess it comes down to how bad is the offside in question, because there are some where it was an obvious offside before a goal is scored and others where you say to yourself where is that play offside.

won't work

because the teams don't have 5 minutes to review a play

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Play the worlds smallest violin? Who cares. Maybe coaches will have to abandon some of these ridiculously stifling defensive systems to account for it? I mean it’s hard to play the trap of the other team has a player back behind your defense already.
Wait, you're actually serious about the idea that we should have no blueline?

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Wait, you're actually serious about the idea that we should have no blueline?
Very serious. Why not open up the entire sheet of ice? I’m trying to see what the big drawback would be to this. It would certainly increase the pace and flow of the game with less whistles. It may increase scoring since teams don’t have to clear the zone like they do now if it’s a couples inches or a foot past the line. It could dismantle a lot of defensive systems by allowing more flexibility and space on offense to control the puck.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah but then players will yell cherry picker when they get scored on... and then what will you do?!?!?!?!?
I believe precedence has been set to point at the score and yell "scoreboard"...
Seriously though, if any part of the player from the waist down trails the puck entering the zone it should be good. The part of the replay that takes so damn long is trying to figure out if a skate is touching the ice or not. That and shift the onside play to the entry side of the blue line instead of the zoneside. These plays are happening so fast, were talking about fractions of seconds. They Could make the blue line thinner too. Or thicker, whichever figures out to make offsides occur less often.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
They should just scrap the review completely because HFBoards will not survive an apparent series winning OT goal being overturned because a review that took 5+ minutes determined that a player was an inch offside 30 seconds before the goal was scored. But if they don't dump the review entirely they should at least do...

...But yeah, if the puck changes possession, the offside should be considered void.

This...

10 second rule. If you're in the zone for 10 seconds, it doesn't matter how you got in.

also this, but...

Or just eliminate the blue line and do away with offsides completely.

not so sold on this.

Last edited:

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
It's real simple. Goal is scored. Officials go over to the Coach whose team was scored on, and asks if he wants to challenge it. He get 3 seconds to answer, that's it. Then move along.

If the idea is to stop plays like 'the Duchene play' then you'd be able to tell the official right away, if you have to wait for someone in a booth to review it first, and THEN ask for a review, then it wasn't close enough to raise a stink.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Or just eliminate the blue line and do away with offsides completely.
It would eliminate skating from the game. Just a bunch of guys camping at both goal mouths. D-men just clear the puck doing slap passes towards the other net. Repeat both ways until one camping forward manages to shovel in a goal.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The skate dragging the line is like the toe in the crease. Play the game. Refs make mistakes. They also make bad calls and you can't take those back. Video replay is for a game like football with 40 second breaks between plays, or baseball, which is slow no matter how you play it. Hockey is a speed game. The offside challenge should be negated with possession, I fully agree with this, just like interference can't be called after the goalie has reset.

Reactions: Punished ROR

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I've gotten so unbelievably sick of having to wait to celebrate goals instead of being able to celebrate them in the moment.

It's affected my enjoyment of watching hockey. I don't watch nearly as many games as I used to.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Limit challenges to scoring only. Did it cross the line? Nothing worse than having a goal called back because a player, who had no impact on the play, may have lifted his skate above the ice. Don't let technology take over too much of the game. Why not just do away with the linesmen, and put cameras on the blue lines?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Stop polishing a turd. Scrap offsides.
Cherrypickers Uber alles!
It's gonna need someone to introduce some forwards to the goalie on team picture day.

The rule is not hard to interpret, for those who ALREADY complain that the refs have too much latitude to make subjective calls, asking them to subjectively determine if a guy on the other side of the line "had any effect on the play" seems curious.

Curious indeed.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It's real simple. Goal is scored. Officials go over to the Coach whose team was scored on, and asks if he wants to challenge it. He get 3 seconds to answer, that's it. Then move along.

If the idea is to stop plays like 'the Duchene play' then you'd be able to tell the official right away, if you have to wait for someone in a booth to review it first, and THEN ask for a review, then it wasn't close enough to raise a stink.
How many chances do they get?
What if the guy is in the blind part of the ice?

Ref; " you wanna challenge?"
Coach: " I couldn't see him the linesman was in the way"
Ref: your three seconds are up.

If people are saying that the linesman don't have to get it right 100 percent of the time, then kill the challenge entirely. If you want to make sure you get most of the close one's right by using technology, then use that technology to the best of your ability to make sure it's right, no matter how long it takes.

People don't seem to complain about goal mouth scrambles that are challenged to see IF the puck crossed the line and if so if the goalie was interfered with.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Very serious. Why not open up the entire sheet of ice? I’m trying to see what the big drawback would be to this. It would certainly increase the pace and flow of the game with less whistles. It may increase scoring since teams don’t have to clear the zone like they do now if it’s a couples inches or a foot past the line. It could dismantle a lot of defensive systems by allowing more flexibility and space on offense to control the puck.

Ringette. The sport you're looking for is Ringette.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I was 50/50 when they first brought in the offside challenge, but hate how it's been implemented.

The two that stand out to me are both from Penguins games.

There was an Islanders goal in game called back on a very tight offside, even tighter when you consider the player a couple of inches offside is leaving the zone and going for a line change.

The other play, that everyone should hate, is from the Stanley Cup final. Nashville score for an early 1-0 lead and it's called back because of a skate in the air. That is the most ridiculous part of the whole offside rule.

Either make the blue line like the goal line in football or just scrap the challenge.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
They tested that out for a game

I love how the colour guy says the official was screened, but on the replay, he's straddling the blue line with zero visual obstructions of Duchene and the puck.

Here's the thing with this goal. Duchene is onside based on the rules. Rule 83.2 is in effect here because the defending Nashville player played the puck propelling it into his own zone. Duchene is free to play the puck as he is onside.

Reactions: Johno

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The play should have to be reviewed in real time, no break down of frame by frame. If the officials can't conclude anything move on.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
A few months ago Ray Ferraro had an idea to fix the offside goal challenges and it was as follows. If a team happens to allow a goal which might be offside, prior to the goal being scored if it's noticed that one of the players on the team who was scored on had the puck on their stick it should make the challenge null and void, because they would have gained possession of the puck with a chance to clear the puck out of their end. I remember Ferraro equated that to a delayed penalty call where the whistle is blown when the team getting a penalty gains possession of the puck.

So if the NHL added that rule onto the offside goal challenges would that be a good thing or not or should the challenge remain as it is? I guess it comes down to how bad is the offside in question, because there are some where it was an obvious offside before a goal is scored and others where you say to yourself where is that play offside.
Anything that makes this rule harder to succeed is a win in my books. After 20 seconds of possession, the original offside hardly plays a role anymore.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Just get rid of the offside challenge. The whole thing is dumb in the first place.

This. Duchene level offsides happen once in a blue moon. The offside challenge just arbitrarily enforces the letter of the law on plays where there's a millimeter difference between being on/offside and have nothing to do with giving one team an unfair advantage (at least no more than missed penalties, high sticks, glove passes, etc)

Reactions: Eisen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad