Should the NHL use Ray Ferraro's idea on offisde goal challenges?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A few months ago Ray Ferraro had an idea to fix the offside goal challenges and it was as follows. If a team happens to allow a goal which might be offside, prior to the goal being scored if it's noticed that one of the players on the team who was scored on had the puck on their stick it should make the challenge null and void, because they would have gained possession of the puck with a chance to clear the puck out of their end. I remember Ferraro equated that to a delayed penalty call where the whistle is blown when the team getting a penalty gains possession of the puck.

So if the NHL added that rule onto the offside goal challenges would that be a good thing or not or should the challenge remain as it is? I guess it comes down to how bad is the offside in question, because there are some where it was an obvious offside before a goal is scored and others where you say to yourself where is that play offside.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Its a good idea in theory, as it stands the offside challenge is ruining the game, and completely against the spirit of the rule, just my opinion. However, what happens with puck battles, or an intercepted pass which the defending team doesn't fully control? Then the debate will just shift to whether or not the defending team truly controlled the puck or could've cleared it. It just kind of shifts the goalposts, we'll see challenges or whether on not possession was truly gained.

Last edited:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Yeah but then players will yell cherry picker when they get scored on... and then what will you do?!?!?!?!?
Play the worlds smallest violin? Who cares. Maybe coaches will have to abandon some of these ridiculously stifling defensive systems to account for it? I mean it’s hard to play the trap of the other team has a player back behind your defense already.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The big complaint with offside challenges is that they take too long. (To that, I say - try watching a baseball game without throwing something at the TV screen.) The problem with this solution is that it's going to take even longer to determine offside.

As it stands right now, you just take the goal, rewind it relatively quickly to when the puck crosses the blue line, and then cha-cha around that time to determine if any of the players are across the line before the puck. With this proposal, you have to literally track the puck during the entire zone entry - which I imagine can be fairly long sometimes.

I get the frustration of plays where the offending offside player has nothing to do with the play, but the goal's dead. But part of today's game is positioning - knowing where you are, and staying behind the blue line until the puck crosses it. Every team gives up potential goals because of that rule, because they have to hang back and play cautiously. So even if the player's ultimate position "doesn't matter"....it kind of does.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The big complaint with offside challenges is that they take too long. (To that, I say - try watching a baseball game without throwing something at the TV screen.) The problem with this solution is that it's going to take even longer to determine offside.

As it stands right now, you just take the goal, rewind it relatively quickly to when the puck crosses the blue line, and then cha-cha around that time to determine if any of the players are across the line before the puck. With this proposal, you have to literally track the puck during the entire zone entry - which I imagine can be fairly long sometimes.

I get the frustration of plays where the offending offside player has nothing to do with the play, but the goal's dead. But part of today's game is positioning - knowing where you are, and staying behind the blue line until the puck crosses it. Every team gives up potential goals because of that rule, because they have to hang back and play cautiously. So even if the player's ultimate position "doesn't matter"....it kind of does.
If the NHL did use this idea couldn't situation room in Toronto have more access to the replay on their TV's to see if a player on the team challenging had possession of the puck before it was scored, instead of the refs just using their tablet at the time keeper position of the penalty box.

Reactions: Steely Van

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If the NHL did use this idea couldn't situation room in Toronto have more access to the replay on their TV's to see if a player on the team challenging had possession of the puck before it was scored, instead of the refs just using their tablet at the time keeper position of the penalty box.

I don't know the technicalities of it. But either way, unless you have tons of people working in parallel, you're going to have to sift through a LOT more visual data. Now, it's just the one point of time when the puck goes in the zone. In the proposal, you could easily be tracking 30 seconds. If there's 4-5 times when it looks like a defender gets the puck, that's 4 or 5 times as long.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Replays need a time limit. You pay officials for a reason. Here's how it should work:

They make a call. Coach challenges. Timer starts when the ref gets the tablet. If you can't tell after 90 seconds looking at HD video whether or not a play is offside, the call on the ice stands. Linesmen are really good at calling offsides.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
I hate this f***ing rule in general. It's getting to be like football where after every big play you have to wait and see if a flag was thrown before you can get excited.

Goals off quick rushes up the ice, where guys are fighting to stay onside, have gotten less exciting because now everyone is waiting to see if the guy was half an inch offside. The opposing coach immediately checks for this, we watch a couple replays in suspense while waiting for the coach to decide if he is going to challenge. It sucks.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The fix is easy...

#1 extend the blue line to the ceiling

#2 one camera along the blue line on each side of the ice and one overhead camera

#3 refs get Max 10 seconds to view each angle (30 seconds total)

#4 unsuccessful challenge is a penalty

This should make it to where only the most obvious offsides are challenged and overturned like Duchene being two strides over the line, but takes out the ticky tack skate in the air, millimeters that don't affect the play kind of reviews.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Or just eliminate the blue line and do away with offsides completely.
They eliminated the 2 line offsides years ago and that was a good change. Let the linesmen do their job. Maybe allow 1 offside challenge in playoffs. now they watch video for numerous minutes to see if the players skate was just a 1/4 " in the air

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The big complaint with offside challenges is that they take too long. (To that, I say - try watching a baseball game without throwing something at the TV screen.)

That's not my complaint. I hate that a goal may not be a goal. When my team scores, I can't truly celebrate until the ref drops the puck for the next faceoff, because I don't know if it will count or not.

The penalty for losing the challenge helped, since teams don't challenge much anymore, but it's still super annoying that goals get called back for such a trivial reason.

And really, how many blatant offsides goals were happening? A few a season? It was a solution in search of a problem.

Just get rid of the whole thing. Worst rule change since the lockout.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd prefer they just scrap it, since it exists solely to ruin the entertainment value of the game. But yeah, if the puck changes possession, the offside should be considered void.

Reactions: KingBogo

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
I like this idea but for offsides in general.

Let's say a team is offside. Instead of the play stopping, the play goes on as a delayed offside. Any goal scored during this time wouldn't count. The only way to stop the delayed offside is to reenter the zone onside or get the other team to possess the puck like on a delayed penalty.

This doesn't change the basic rules of the game like removing offsides would, but it would result in a lot fewer stoppages. Also it would make the boring neutral zone trap a lot less effective.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
They should do away with the challenge. All game long there are imperfections that get overlooked, including off sides, but then when a goal is scored we suddenly have to have perfection? Just crazy. It’s just a cop out for the losing team to stay in the game. I don’t like it.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Since the offside challenge has kicked in I've become convinced at the competence of NHL linesmen. I know there are a handful of egregious misses (e.g. the Duchene goal) that led to this rule being implemented, but it seems on 99% of these calls the pucks is within millimetres of being onside or offside...the linesmen do a pretty incredible job considering they're often looking through multiple bodies for a small puck in real time. I say just eliminate the offside challenge altogether...a player being 1-2 inches offside or not doesn't really affect the play. The spirit of the blue line and the offside in the first place, IMO, was and is to prevent blatant cherry picking and guys hanging out in the other team's zone for an entire game. Not to check if a guy fully crossed the blue line 0.2 seconds before the puck did.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the idea. It at least reduces the number of potential challenges. Then go to the idea of a skate breaking the plane of the BL so we don't have this mystery of whether the skate was touching the ice or not.

You want to call the rules accurately but you also don't want to frustrate fans with disallowed goals and with excessively long reviews.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad