Should the NHL use Ray Ferraro's idea on offisde goal challenges?

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Keep the offside challenge but extend the blue line to the ceiling.

Scrap the goalie interference challenge.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If you gain the zone illegally to that blatant level you're inferring, they'll have called offsides.

If it's to the point where reviewing for offsides and it's beyond that point, the play wasn't affected by the fraction of an inch of offsides to merit removing the goal.

So fraction of an inch or an inch? Who makes that call and decides what fractions are ok or not?. On top of that how do we decide what effects and doesnt effect the goal scored? Because on person thoughts will differ from others.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The rule is there to prevent cherry picking.

And the game has evolved way past that situation, the offside rule is a relic that serves no purpose anymore and actually hinders the further development of the game. Some other sports like field hockey have already removed the offside rule and the results have been overwhelmingly positive.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
The referees simply don’t miss enough goals that were created from a player going that far offsides to justify a review system that takes away so many goals where the offsides has no impact on the play

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
The offside challenge to me is stupid. The whole motive is to ‘get the call right’. That’s fair in theory, but how many zone entries are blown dead when they play wasn’t actually offside. Think about how many potential goals were taken away by a play that was actually on side.

To me it only solves one side of the problem and all it does is take away goals for a difference that wouldn’t have mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
It's fine the way it is. This is a solution in search of a problem.

You're fine with goals being called back after minutes of agonizing review of several camera angles to see if someone is actually offsides?

There are a lot of responses here ranging from changing what's reviewable to removing offsides altogehter (an idea I'm warming to), but I don't find a lot of people both here and involved in the game who love how it works today.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You're fine with goals being called back after minutes of agonizing review of several camera angles to see if someone is actually offsides?
Yep. Nothing agonizing about it.

What the hell is so "agonizing" about spending a couple of minutes getting the call right? I don't see the problem here.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not quite on topic, but the officiala should be able to wave off icing when it's just a bad pass that the attacking player misses resulting in the puck going all the way down the ice. I don't think that icing is in the spirit of the rule.
Icing should only be when a defending team desperately throws the puck under duress. Would save six or seven stoppages, maybe more, per game.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Could bring back the two line pass restriction and eliminate offsides.
No idea if it would work but I'd be curious to see how it plays.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Just get rid of the offside challenge. The whole thing is dumb in the first place.

Not at all. It corrects wrong decisions. Just like Tottenham Man City last night, it's the right thing to do.

It is correct to make it a delayed call. If you have controlled possession and don't clear then it's your own fault.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
It's really simple... 5 second time limit from when the puck crosses the line. If the goal is scored passed 5 seconds it's not challengable. This will still prevent the offside on what are odd man breaks where truly an extra 6 inches is make or break for the goal, vs the stupid challenges that happen like after they've cycled the puck for 20 minutes.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Just have it so there’s either a time limit for the refs, or the refs aren’t allowed slowed down replay. If you need frame by frame video to tell if a goal is offside, it doesn’t matter lol

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Without reading the entire thread... no.

Either the play's offside, or it's not. If a team gets into the zone early, illegally, and gets a forecheck going that winds up creating a turnover, they should still be allowed to score because the defending team touched the puck? It makes no sense.

May 17, 2009
Maine
I have to admit I'm really curious what the effect would be if offsides were removed from the game. Maybe at the lower levels you'd get people cherry picking in the offensive zone but realistically no team is going to tolerate a goofball floating in the offensive zone leaving the rest of his team trying to play 4-on-5.

It could really open up the game. I'd try it in the AHL or something just to see what the effects would be. Thing is, it would have to be a long trial, and it could impact behaviour for those players who get used to it who then get called up, but it would be difficult to sell as a change in the NHL with no real idea what would happen without actually trying it first.

I'd like to see the blue line widened and the offside mechanism change. For instance, make the blue line four feet wide and leave a player onside if one of his skates is on the blue line when the puck crosses into the blue line from center ice rather than completely through it. I do get the need to prevent cherry picking, but as the game is played today, teams clog up the neutral zone and force the attacking team to make a precision pass or stickhandle in a very tight area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->