Should the NHL get rid of NMC’s?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
these guys arent human video games... these players have lives and families and when they get to a point in their career and have success, they deserve NMCs

They will never get rid of NMCs

Some GMs just tend to hand them out like candy

Reactions: Altimus

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Not to rag on the OP, but over the years I've come to the conclusion that any topic that starts with "Should the NHL...", well over 90% of the time the answer is 'no'.

The NHL is a multi billion dollar/yr organization. Many/most of the team owners are billionaires. Most of the players (at least those who've been around a few years) are millionaires. They all can afford to hire very smart people for their 'side' to ponder questions like this in far greater detail with nuances we never would even think of. It may make for an interesting discussion, but the issue generally was long settled.

Now a topic of "Should the NHL toss Parros out on his butt & completely revamp the DoPS...?", yeah that would fall squarely into the 10% area

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
these guys arent human video games... these players have lives and families and when they get to a point in their career and have success, they deserve NMCs

They will never get rid of NMCs

Some GMs just tend to hand them out like candy

Players will also insist on NMC with some GM more than others because of reputation. After what McCrimmon/McPhee did to Nate Schmidt you gotta imagine anyone signing in Vegas will demand one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Players will also insist on NMC with some GM more than others because of reputation. After what McCrimmon/McPhee did to Nate Schmidt you gotta imagine anyone signing in Vegas will demand one.
I believe the nmc stemmed from Bryan McCabe and it was either Toronto or Florida when it occurred. They either did or threatened to send him to the AHL so ultimately that got around to the other players and their agents and thus the nmc was added on top of ntc. So when teams and fans think about doing things like that to players they just won’t sit around and take it. They’ll take action to prevent it.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't think there should be a NMC per se, but an agreed upon inconvenience pay should a player signed to a NMC get moved. You want to trade player x fine, but you owe him an additional x amount of dollars for the remaining years of the contract.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No one would be on board for this: Players hate it because they have less security. Owners and GMs hate it because it's one fewer avenue to keep players with their franchise at a reduced cap hit.

It always seems like the players are getting the shaft in terms of contract-rights.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Keep the NMC/NTCs, but max out contracts at 5 years (6 for UFA signing with their own team).

As compensation, the NHL reduces the age for UFAs by one year.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Only if you want another lockout.

Ultimately NMC's are about families. Relocating every year or so reduces stability for their children and they're not going to give that up easily.

I know there are people who do have to relocate for work, especially military, but most would prefer the stability.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
Once again playing the 5% vs 95% card, how many in that 95% range get NMCs? To me getting rid of the NMC(but not the NTC) is a way to still give teams a way to get rid of that player(even if it only saves them 1M dollars in payroll). It also gives them some roster flexibility say if they already have their 23 man roster set and don't want to lose a player on waivers in that 23 man group.

I mean you can easily just pay the player more instead of giving them a NMC as is, can't really take it out without raising the cap

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
You mean NTC

NMC clause means cant be sent to minors or left unprotected for expansion draft situation

They should get rid of NTC ... after a certain amount. Like 6 million per

Anything less, partial NTC allowed in signings

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
More trades would happen and garbage contracts would be movable. Also, eight years contracts are too long, six should be the max.

NMC are fine, you have to be good to earn one. Or GMs need to stop giving them to bad players.

But I agree with the second point. 5 year contract max if you’re re-signing with your team. 4 if you leave.

I think it would make for much more interesting off seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad