Should the NHL get rid of NMC’s?

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
How would removing trade protection clauses change US tax law?
When a guy takes less to sign in Tampa or Florida because they have lower taxes then gets traded to a different state or Canada with higher taxes, not sure if I’m right but that’s what I think the poster meant

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Players should have the right to choose where they play. The 27/7 rule is already anti competitive as hell. NHL contracts already heavily heavily favour the teams, this would only work if 27/7 becomes 25/5
Agreed. With a salary cap like they have, there really is no need for a draft, or any of these RFA/UFA rules, or ELC limits. Each team is allowed to spend $81.5MM. If the Pens want to offer McDavid $25MM to replace Crosby, then why should they not be able to? At the end of the season, each team can only spend $81.5MM. As far as the draft, the best prospects are not necessarily automatically go to the best teams if they had their choice. A team like Tampa is not going to be able to offer Owen Power as much money as a team like the Devils could this year.

Reactions: ThatGuy22

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
It would remove the huge advantage the state income tax team have on most of the league.

NHLPA would never agree to it.

You should petition your Province to institute the 10th Amendment from the US constitution so each province can levy taxes the way it wants.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
More trades would happen and garbage contracts would be movable. Also, eight years contracts are too long, six should be the max.

Maybe they should incentivize the NTC's & NMC's like they do with play bonuses. I mean, limit them to a point. But, but seriously, if a guy signs a big contract and craps the bed after that & doesn't meet the numbers set for say 2 years in a row? A team should be able to either have the contract adjusted or have a chance to move the player. Make it reasonable, but you perform, you get to stay. Less of this, 'I'll play my ass off to get a fat contract. Then sandbag it for a few years.' nonsense.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why is it always the players getting shafted on here?
Because those poor billionaire owners really have it rough?

If you get rid of NMC's or shorten contract length I'd expect salaries to go up. So you'd have the star players eating up even more of the cap and role players get the crumbs.

Maybe GM's just hadn't out so many bad contracts?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Honestly instead of getting rid of NMC and the cap they should just get rid of the 27 UFA age requirement and bump it down to 25. No reason a player should spend his entire prime being cost controlled

It's already 25, if you break into the league at 18. McDavid, Matthews and MacKinnon could have been UFA at 25. It's 7 years from your rookie year. Most players reach UFA at 27-29 because of extensions they signed with their team.

Matthews and Marner's 2nd contract walks them right to UFA, and IIRC they'll be 26 when they gets there.

It's hard for the best players to get the money they want on their second contracts without sacrificing at least a year or two of UFA.
'
If a player wanted to do the MLB-style arbitration route, they could do it if they so wanted. They don't, so this is what happens.

Last edited:

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Every team contained in any NMC should get cap relief for that. Let's say 1 million for each team.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Honestly instead of getting rid of NMC and the cap they should just get rid of the 27 UFA age requirement and bump it down to 25. No reason a player should spend his entire prime being cost controlled

I don't think theres enough measures in place to protect small market teams or undesirable markets from keeping the players they draft and develop. I think they should bump down 7 year ufa contracts to 5 while allowing the current team that holds the players rights to sign for 7 years.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Agreed. With a salary cap like they have, there really is no need for a draft, or any of these RFA/UFA rules, or ELC limits. Each team is allowed to spend $81.5MM. If the Pens want to offer McDavid $25MM to replace Crosby, then why should they not be able to? At the end of the season, each team can only spend $81.5MM. As far as the draft, the best prospects are not necessarily automatically go to the best teams if they had their choice. A team like Tampa is not going to be able to offer Owen Power as much money as a team like the Devils could this year.
This. With the Salary cap and guaranteed contracts, draft, elc and rfa system is obsolete.

Sign with who you wish, for whatever they wish to pay you. Some will go for most cash, some will go for best opportunity. Some may follow home town loyalties.

With a finite number of roster spots and cap space talent will disperse.

Reactions: Eisen and patnyrnyg

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
Well good luck telling that to the NHLPA. With that said, I do have an idea. Maybe the GM's should stop giving out NMCs like candy?

Reactions: GreeningOil

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Or or or, hear me out? A GM could just not offer them! Crazy thought, I know right?...

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't mind NMC, but any player with a NHL team NTC should not be allowed to have an AHL demotion NMC.

Like.. it's a one way deal anyways. Have more confidence in your skills to stay an NHL regular.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Counter proposal; all UFA signings get NMC in exchange for 1/3 buyouts. Players past a certain age should get to choose where they live and work.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
The NBA has it right. 5 year max contract length and no "no movement or no trade" clauses.

But even with these restrictions NBA teams still get themselves in trouble with bad contracts.

Reactions: MessierII

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
You threw around clauses to get players to sign for less and are now in trouble because you can't move said players over something that benefited you initially? I say, get f***ed, you reap what you sow.

This. If players wishes MTC, you cant deny them, or dont sign! Sinple logic

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think NMC/NTC are fine.

Only thing I'd consider changing is if a player requests a trade away from a team. I'd have it be a formal process at which point a NMC/NTC becomes null. Sucks when you have a player request a trade out of town and then handcuff the team in terms of the return they can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad